spenser1058

LOCAL and Florida Politics

I think the Overton window has shifted as both of you are right. He is center left but would be the furthest president to the left in a generation. 

• Like 1

TDT use to mitigate climate change (flooding) and algae blooms along the coasts plus spring renewal inland?

Environmentalists say yes; the tourism industry says no:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-florida-legislature-hotel-taxes-water-20200213-wacysbuftjf3dixeg5pej6evgm-story.html

From the Sentinel 

The powerful Culinary Union in Nevada (with its significant membership of women and Latinos) has embraced Pete’s healthcare plan (“Medicare For All Who Want It”) and rejected Bernie’s “My Way Or the Highway” plan (which stands a 0% chance of clearing Congress, anyway).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/culinary-union-embraces-pete-buttigiegs-stance-on-health-care-1933540/

From the Las Vegas Review Journal

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The powerful Culinary Union in Nevada (with its significant membership of women and Latinos) has embraced Pete’s healthcare plan (“Medicare For All Who Want It”) and rejected Bernie’s “My Way Or the Highway” plan (which stands a 0% chance of clearing Congress, anyway).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/culinary-union-embraces-pete-buttigiegs-stance-on-health-care-1933540/

From the Las Vegas Review Journal

Pete's "plan" for health care is an embarrassment and the biggest reason I can't stand or trust him.  His flip-flop on this subject shows to me he is only interested in getting to the top quickly instead of sticking to any sort of principals and running again in 4/8 years. Re-positioning as a boomer's favorite millenial version of Biden is pathetic and hope we never hear from him again after this. That being said I'd vote for him because there is no other option if he does win.

Jeff Stein at the Washington Post got to the bottom of this question in December and reported that it is the latter: the Obamacare mandate on steroids. Under Buttigieg’s plan, rather than paying a $695 fine at the end of the year if you are uninsured (as in the now-repealed Obamacare mandate), you could pay a fine as high as $7,000. This sort of lump sum shock is going to wreck most of the households hit with it and be even more of a political disaster than the much more modest Obamacare fine, which was itself a bit of a political disaster.

• Like 1

If you want universal coverage, there has to be a mandate. Otherwise, healthy people don’t bother until they get sick.

Bernie’s way is to throw 250 million people into limbo and raise taxes by $30 trillion to pay for it.

Pete’s idea is to cap the limits. The $695 penalty gave you nothing. Pete’s method gives you insurance during that whole year paid for at the end if you choose not to enroll in advance. Also, it could be paid for during tax filings - folks who qualify for Medicaid will have rebates or EITC could be increased.

If you want universal coverage, everyone (including healthy folks) has to have it. That’s the way insurance works. You can just blow up the system like Bernie proposes and charge $30 trillion more in taxes and pray corporate America will raise pay to everyone so they can pay much higher taxes (you really think that will happen?)

Most Americans don’t. Or you can phase into it. If you prefer the public option, go for it. If you don’t, you can stay on your private plan.

If the public option really is better, people will gravitate to it. It’s rally the only way to get there. 75 years ago, an error was made in implementing healthcare in the US. It’s going to take time to undo it.

Pete’s plan, with required adjustments made in passing it, is the best option forward. Anything else is DOA when it hits Congress.

I think the kid seems pretty talented. I would think about voting for him if I could vote in the primary. I am not a fan of an expansion of gov't paid for healthcare, at least his plan is defensible. 

Edited by jack

I'd be happy with some kind of national catastrophic health care protection.

Something like... nobody with income and assets below a certain level, would ever have to pay over x amount for treatment of any catastrophic illness or injury. As an individual's income and assets rose, their required payment would be a percentage, but in no case, would anyone ever have to spend over a certain percentage of their assets for treatment.

Of course, very well off people who can afford good private insurance would be free to use that.

For everything that would be considered standard, everyday health care, like minor injuries and illnesses, regular insurance could pay for that, which the premiums for, I would think, would be greatly reduced since the insurance companies would no longer have to worry about being on the hook for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat one person's medical issues. 

That's just a rough, general idea of what I'm thinking, and of course there might be factors I didn't cover or consider. But in general, I think that some kind of plan that requires people to pay only a portion of large catastrophic medical bills while a taxpayer funded, govt safety net paid the rest, and private insurance took care of all the minor stuff, might be a workable compromise.

Feel free to pick my idea to pieces.

Edited by JFW657
  • Thanks 1

Yup. 

Add in UBI so that anybody can use it for whatever instead of bloated "aid" systems and you can choose to use your UBI to fund a health insurance premium not tied to employment or build an HSA if you are relatively healthy or start a  business without the risk of not having a safety net in case the worst happens. 

I totally agree with that. 

• Thanks 1

Only 4 more days to register to vote in Florida’s presidential primary or switch to Democratic If you want to vote in the Democratic primary (Independents aka NPA can’t vote in this one - Republicans only get to vote in the GOP primary).

Do It today!

20PETE20 

Total rumor at this point but Schorsch does have ties to GOP politics (although he also spins things for his own purposes not infrequently). If it pans out, it will be huge for the 2022 elections in FL.

https://twitter.com/peterschorschfl/status/1229099388238286848?s=21

Edited by spenser1058

DON’T FORGET- Register by tomorrow (FEB 18) to vote in Florida’s presidential primary.

ALSO, if you’re not currently a Democrat and want to vote in the Democratic primary, you must switch by tomorrow.

Don’t miss out!

Questions? Let me know...

I was asked here recently about my challenges with Rep. Stephanie Murphy. This sums it up in a nutshell:

https://twitter.com/fla_pol/status/1231164353707216896?s=21

Mike Bloomberg is the latest rich guy trying to buy his way into office. That may be the Republican way (we’ve lived with over a decade of that so far in Florida with Rick Scott) but it’s not something we respect as Democrats.

As many disagreements as I have with Bernie and his Bros, he has twice now gone through the process and, if he wins, earned the right to be the nominee. All Bloomberg has done is write checks. 

• Like 1