LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

24 minutes ago, orange87 said:

"Mess." AKA not wanting to include people who aren't even supposed to be in this country (illegal immigrants) in the census.

Anyone in the country is counted and has been for centuries, because like it or not, they’re here. Changing that is not and never has been a Census issue. The practical result? It just hurts Floridians. 

But then as we noted, His Orangeness could care less about anything but himself (remember they had undocumenteds working for him ‘til it got “discovered “), much less Floridians.

Perhaps someone can tell me why the Republican idiots in Tallahassee are hellbent on turning Florida into Mississippi. Meanwhile, remember how this sort of nonsense turned out for North Carolina.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/425071-transgender-athlete-ban-resurrected-in-amendment/

From Florida Politics

Of course, there was a bright side - it led to a Democratic governor in NC’s next election. Nevertheless, politics should never be supported on the backs of children. In their haste to ram this through at the 11th hour, they did nothing to weigh the damage this will do to young people across the state. 

On 4/28/2021 at 12:36 PM, orange87 said:

"Mess." AKA not wanting to include people who aren't even supposed to be in this country (illegal immigrants) in the census.

Well, it doesn't really matter whether someone is a citizen or even here legally. The Census represents the population of the US no matter their status. I didn't think this was controversial to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 6:33 PM, WAJAS said:

Well, it doesn't really matter whether someone is a citizen or even here legally. The Census represents the population of the US no matter their status. I didn't think this was controversial to be honest.

I think it's controversial because the census determines how much representation each state gets in the House of Representatives. I don't think it's fair for illegal immigrants to influence representation in one of the chambers of our country's legislature. I think only U.S. citizens should be represented. I didn't think that was controversial to be honest.

6 hours ago, orange87 said:

I think it's controversial because the census determines how much representation each state gets in the House of Representatives. I don't think it's fair for illegal immigrants to influence representation in one of the chambers of our country's legislature. I think only U.S. citizens should be represented. I didn't think that was controversial to be honest.

I guess you have to reconcile the two. You can't really satisfy both problems. Adding a citizenship question may seem like a way to do both, but as it could effectively be used to locate illegal immigrants they would be less likely to fill it out, which would then defeat the purpose of the compromise.

I am someone that tends to think the "founders are always right" approach is a poor one, but I haven't seen a proposal that takes my position and your position into account successfully.

There are estimations of the population of the citizenry, which could be used instead of the census for apportionment of representatives, but I prefer the hard number to the soft one. Soft numbers decrease confidence in the system. Hmmm. I don't know tbh.

Well, if the SCOTUS can rule that corporations are people and that their huge campaign contributions are the equivalent of free speech, then why shouldn't lakes and streams be considered people too? 

I hope they prevail.

Also, I wonder if the picture in the article is the land in question.

If so, they really do need to protect that from being destroyed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Well, if the SCOTUS can rule that corporations are people and that their huge campaign contributions are the equivalent of free speech, then why shouldn't lakes and streams be considered people too? 

I hope they prevail.

Also, I wonder if the picture in the article is the land in question.

If so, they really do need to protect that from being destroyed.

This message is brought to you by Arbor and Grafts, LLC - Our practice is limited to carbon-dioxide ingesting citizens.

Here go the downtown bar owners again. Now they’re trying to get the historic Firestone’s (the lot and design were approved by Harvey Firestone himself, who was best buds with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison - wanna talk history? He was even at the opening) landmark designation removed.

Buddy usually caves to whatever they want - haven’t they let the historic downtown core degrade enough these last two decades? Hopefully, staff will be able to hold the line on this one:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20210502-fisufo6civbipcalwkfuvh3e7e-story.html?outputType=amp

From Joy Wallace Dickinson at the Sentinel 
  • Like 1

He’s baaaack! It looks like Congressman (and former governor) Charlie Crist is going to be the first Democrat to announce for governor.  Since he’s run in both parties and as an NPA, there’s going to be a lot of baggage on the carousel, but, oddly enough, his politics these days are the closest to those from the glory days of Florida government in the ‘70’s, ‘80’s and ‘90’s. Unlike the carpetbagger brigade that has taken over the state, Charlie’s roots run deep in Florida’s sandy soil.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/423797-charlie-crist-forms-state-political-committee-as-2022-announcement-nears

From Florida Politics 

On 5/2/2021 at 8:25 AM, spenser1058 said:

This might be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. What is next, all animals? Watch out, you may get sued one day for putting rat poison out. 

24 minutes ago, jack said:

This might be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. What is next, all animals? Watch out, you may get sued one day for putting rat poison out. 

The idiots in Tallahassee may be shooting themselves in the foot with their attempts to keep folks from voting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-republicans-mail-voting/2021/05/02/4c133920-a9bf-11eb-8c1a-56f0cb4ff3b5_story.html

You know, I’d really be embarrassed to be in a political party whose ideas are so awful the only way they can win is to keep citizens from voting.

1 hour ago, jack said:

I'm all for whatever it takes to keep a bunch of mindlessly greedy developers from bulldozing every square inch of natural beauty they can get away with, in order to line their own pockets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The idiots in Tallahassee may be shooting themselves in the foot with their attempts to keep folks from voting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-republicans-mail-voting/2021/05/02/4c133920-a9bf-11eb-8c1a-56f0cb4ff3b5_story.html

You know, I’d really be embarrassed to be in a political party whose ideas are so awful the only way they can win is to keep citizens from voting.

I am not embarrassed, they are the ones acting like idiots. 

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'm all for whatever it takes to keep a bunch of mindlessly greedy developers from bulldozing every square inch of natural beauty they can get away with, in order to line their own pockets. 

I get it. When elected officials are not responsive, citizens resort to extreme measures. But you get what you vote for. Most elected officials are reelected with no problems. If elected officials are too generous with housing approvals, vote them out. 

6 hours ago, jack said:

I get it. When elected officials are not responsive, citizens resort to extreme measures. But you get what you vote for. Most elected officials are reelected with no problems. If elected officials are too generous with housing approvals, vote them out. 

By the time we screw around waiting for the political process to work, the damage will have long been done. 

I'd rather just pass strict environmental laws that prevent greedy developers from destroying irreplaceable natural wildlife habitats and have the courts uphold and enforce them. 

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

By the time we screw around waiting for the political process to work, the damage will have long been done. 

I'd rather just pass strict environmental laws that prevent greedy developers from destroying irreplaceable natural wildlife habitats and have the courts uphold and enforce them. 

But when it goes to court and gets thrown out as unconstitutional, you have lost more time. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

But when it goes to court and gets thrown out as unconstitutional, you have lost more time. 

Not necessarily.

I would say it bought more time actually, because nothing moves forward while the case is being litigated.

And you're just assuming it will be declared unconstitutional.

FWIU, it's based on a ballot measure the voters approved.  

The Sentinel is reporting Congressperson Stephanie Murphy will take on Senator Marco Rubio for his seat in 2022:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-stephanie-murphy-campaign-challenge-rubio-20210512-lg2wpflzczeu7omecjq2n74g7m-story.html

UPDATE: The Sentinel now says Stephanie’s campaign is denying a run. Stay tuned?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Ok, I guess I am anti-Republican and also anti-Democrat. 

They all suck. 

Yang Gang! 

You’re welcome to believe that but I encourage you to ask yourself which party  is going out of their way to stop people from voting. Only one party is doing their damndest to resurrect Jim Crow. When the Democrats start enacting laws that prevent white males over 25 from voting, get back with me.

Edited by spenser1058