LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

21 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I thought Buddy Dyer was a Democrat? 

A DINO, in fact, and most of the local party wants nothing to do with him. I’ve made my feelings about him quite clear as @jackpointed out so well earlier this week. 

He is nothing more than a relic of a bygone era in Orlando history that the local developers and realtors keep propping up (wanna guess which party they’re in?) Oh and of course the DeVos family (remember whose cabinet Betsy was in and who spent more in Florida to prevent marriage equality with Amendment  2 than anyone else?). Of course, that’s appropriate as the DeVoses and Buddy are both achieving about the same results in their recent activities.

Edited by spenser1058

Hmmmm… Politico says it’ll be Val Demings running against Marco:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/18/demings-running-for-senate-rubio-489137

If it happens, apparently Ocoee legislator Randolph Bracy plans to run for Val’s congressional seat. Of course, those plans may be changed depending on how the GOP redraws the lines to add Florida’s extra district in the next several months.

Edited by spenser1058

8 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Would be great to see but the odds of this clear red state electing a black woman seem very very low.

Of course, Democrats have to up their game but remember that Andrew Gillum lost by less than 1% and he had more baggage than Samsonite.

Val comes across as infinitely reasonable in demeanor and the fact she’s a former police chief helps.

The biggest thing is Democrats have to get their ground game going, especially in Hispanic areas like Osceola and Dade. We also have to call out the untruths the GOP advertises. We did neither last year and got our hat handed to us.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Of course, Democrats have to up their game but remember that Andrew Gillum lost by less than 1% and he had more baggage than Samsonite.

Val comes across as infinitely reasonable in demeanor and the fact she’s a former police chief helps.

The biggest thing is Democrats have to get their ground game going, especially in Hispanic areas like Osceola and Dade. We also have to call out the untruths the GOP advertises. We did neither last year and got our hat handed to us.

I agree that if Gillum did not have so much baggage he would have won but Marco is more popular than DeSantis was at the time. The flip side is Rubio is not as strong as he once was and Trump is not on the ballot. Her bigger problem may be that she is a woman, not that she is of African descent. 

9 minutes ago, jack said:

I agree that if Gillum did not have so much baggage he would have won but Marco is more popular than DeSantis was at the time. The flip side is Rubio is not as strong as he once was and Trump is not on the ballot. Her bigger problem may be that she is a woman, not that she is of African descent. 

While Florida hasn’t elected a woman senator yet, we’ve had several in Congress and the cabinet. Whether we can get over the hump is a good question. TBH, I feel better about Val’s reception than Nikki Fried’s for guv. I still think Gwen Graham would have done well in a general election. We’ll see - another interesting thing is whether Trumpists will vote if the man himself is not on the ticket. In 2018, they didn’t.

While Florida hasn’t elected a woman senator yet, we’ve had several in Congress and the cabinet. Whether we can get over the hump is a good question. TBH, I feel better about Val’s reception than Nikki Fried’s for guv. I still think Gwen Graham would have done well in a general election. We’ll see - another interesting thing is whether Trumpists will vote if the man himself is not on the ticket. In 2018, they didn’t.

Oops! Wait a minute - how could I forget? We have had a woman senator, the infamous Maitland Housewife Paula Hawkins. Long before there was Sarah Palin, we had Paula. In fact, it was thanks to her I left the Republican Party in 1984.

According to The Sentinel, Stephanie Murphy has taken a pass on the 2022 US Senate race. Hopefully, this will go a long way in clearing the field on the Democratic side for Val Demings.

Florida’s late August primaries give precious little time for a challenger to consolidate support before the November general election. This could be a godsend for Val if she proves to be a strong candidate, particularly since Marco hasn’t really been challenged much by weak Democratic candidates or, in one case where Charlie Crist went rogue late in the game as an NPA, merely dividing the opposition.

Stephanie Murphy will not run for Senate against Val Demings, Marco Rubio
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-murphy-not-running-for-senate-20210524-5pyxluzv6rbs5j66eqh5j6rhva-story.html

Edited by spenser1058

The idiots in Tallahassee are at it again and this time even other Republicans are laughing at them.

Sadly, working Floridians are crying because of the nonsense:

Florida is 1 of only 12 states still rejecting Obamacare dollars. Other GOP states say that’s dumb. | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-prem-op-florida-no-obamacare-medicaid-expansion-scott-maxwell-20210525-kdwexklmhnaoleyervxikoyrsy-story.html

Had enough?

The idiots in Tallahassee are at it again and this time even other Republicans are laughing at them.

Sadly, working Floridians are crying because of the nonsense:

Florida is 1 of only 12 states still rejecting Obamacare dollars. Other GOP states say that’s dumb. | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-prem-op-florida-no-obamacare-medicaid-expansion-scott-maxwell-20210525-kdwexklmhnaoleyervxikoyrsy-story.html

Had enough?

This is a great example of putting ideology before reason. There is absolutely no sensible reason to turn down federal funds to give low income people in your state better access to healthcare. It's sickening. The refusal to expand Medicaid in Florida, along with attempts to suppress ballot initiatives and backwards views of marijuana really highlight the dangers of one-party rule in a state.

• Like 1

As expected, FL Senator Randolph Bracy will run to assume the seat being vacated by Val Demings.

Depending on how the GOP draws the lines, he would be expected to be a strong Democratic candidate:

State Sen. Randolph Bracy announces bid for Val Demings’ seat in Congress
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-randolph-bracy-congress-20210525-rr4trdn5bra3nis2jp3khfarr4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As expected, FL Senator Randolph Bracy will run to assume the seat being vacated by Val Demings.

Depending on how the GOP draws the lines, he would be expected to be a strong Democratic candidate:

State Sen. Randolph Bracy announces bid for Val Demings’ seat in Congress
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-randolph-bracy-congress-20210525-rr4trdn5bra3nis2jp3khfarr4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Former prosecutor Aramis Ayala and civil rights lawyer have also joined the race.

What’s the US city most susceptible to climate change? Miami. But the Tallahassee idiots who were from there ,  Jeb! and Marco, stuck their hand in the rapidly dampening sand and pretended nothing was changing.

Meanwhile, Rick Scott threatened to fire any state employee that wrote about global warming or climate change.

Now, even the Idiot Legislature acknowledges they blew a decade off.

Here’s what’s become of Florida’s flagship city because people keep voting for the idiots. Had enough?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/02/us/miami-fl-seawall-hurricanes.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

Of course, the bright side is that Mar-A-Lago is also in trouble…

One of the worst (and slimiest) of the Tallahassee Idiots, Chris Dorworth, has lost his bogus lawsuit in federal court and Seminole County citizens are the winners.

Hopefully, Chris will crawl back under his rock along with the others and let Florida enjoy a breath of fresh air again:

Federal judge rules for Seminole in lawsuit over rejection of Dorworth’s River Cross megadevelopment 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-county-river-cross-federal-lawsuit-20210604-p47qkmgdrvhtvnkl6g2zqljjqu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

You may have heard that Orange County was doubling their impact fees. You may have also heard the Governor signed a bill last week that limited their ability to do so. Now the County has said "we're may do it anyway". From the County, "“The bill limits increases to a certain amount but provides the ability for those limitations to be exceeded in certain circumstances,”...

The County is going through the extra steps the State has newly adopted to allow for the increase and the bottom line is, there will likely be a sizable increase. Schools and roads need to be built and the major developers have skated on this for way too long.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/gs-news-impact-fees-hb337-orange-county-transportation-school-growth-20210607-ktilamixqjgrbhoaonrgid473u-story.html

Along another line I read a couple cruise lines announced today they will be setting sail out of Florida and they will be enforcing Fed guidelines (read vaccine passports) against the orders of the Gov. 

Regardless of how I feel about impact fees or vaccine mandates I am glad to see someone standing up to a Governor who I feel has well overstepped his boundaries.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

You may have heard that Orange County was doubling their impact fees. You may have also heard the Governor signed a bill last week that limited their ability to do so. Now the County has said "we're may do it anyway". From the County, "“The bill limits increases to a certain amount but provides the ability for those limitations to be exceeded in certain circumstances,”...

The County is going through the extra steps the State has newly adopted to allow for the increase and the bottom line is, there will likely be a sizable increase. Schools and roads need to be built and the major developers have skated on this for way too long.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/gs-news-impact-fees-hb337-orange-county-transportation-school-growth-20210607-ktilamixqjgrbhoaonrgid473u-story.html

Along another line I read a couple cruise lines announced today they will be setting sail out of Florida and they will be enforcing Fed guidelines (read vaccine passports) against the orders of the Gov. 

Regardless of how I feel about impact fees or vaccine mandates I am glad to see someone standing up to a Governor who I feel has well overstepped his boundaries.

I would not calling the current County rates as skating. OC, Orlando and Osceola county have some of the highest rates in the state. Higher than rural counties and urban counties like Hillsborough County. 

I would love to know why the County never seems to have enough money for schools and roads. Bad planning? Paying too much? Building in the wrong areas? And what was the penny tax for? 

Meanwhile, a huge vote last Tuesday means the end of the special taxing district for the International Drive cabal.

It’s happening more slowly than it should, but OC of all places is turning out to be the place where our elected representatives are representing people, not pork.

Let’s also note these changes are coming from the newer voices on the commission instead of the long-timers who represent an out of date vision.

County Mayor Jerry Demings, who is relatively new to his post but has been around local government for decades, has been slow to recognize the changes but has ended up in the right place. Let’s hope that continues. Moreover, since OC has term limits, let’s hope some of those folks will make their way over to The Dome and light a fire under the ossifying Orlando City Council.

Big deal: Orange County stands up to tourism industry on taxes | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-prem-op-orlando-international-drive-taxing-district-scott-maxwell-20210611-c2ljs3oy4bglfbkfhmzqtj4zuy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Meanwhile, a huge vote last Tuesday means the end of the special taxing district for the International Drive cabal.

It’s happening more slowly than it should, but OC of all places is turning out to be the place where our elected representatives are representing people, not pork.

Let’s also note these changes are coming from the newer voices on the commission instead of the long-timers who represent an out of date vision.

County Mayor Jerry Demings, who is relatively new to his post but has been around local government for decades, has been slow to recognize the changes but has ended up in the right place. Let’s hope that continues. Moreover, since OC has term limits, let’s hope some of those folks will make their way over to The Dome and light a fire under the ossifying Orlando City Council.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-prem-op-orlando-international-drive-taxing-district-scott-maxwell-20210611-c2ljs3oy4bglfbkfhmzqtj4zuy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I like pork.    Brightline OCC beeline garage stop!!!! Do it!!!!   Big ol curve right into downtown disney beside btu2!!! Amazing!!!  Do it!!!        Damn y'all, do it!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From The Sentinel 

This is certainly a big step in the right direction! I think not being able to add the penny sales tax for transportation during Covid played a role. The elected leaders understand we badly need a funding source for transportation and other important services (like an affordable housing). 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 10:35 AM, jack said:

I would not calling the current County rates as skating. OC, Orlando and Osceola county have some of the highest rates in the state. Higher than rural counties and urban counties like Hillsborough County. 

I would love to know why the County never seems to have enough money for schools and roads. Bad planning? Paying too much? Building in the wrong areas? And what was the penny tax for? 

I probably phrased that incorrectly because I know the builder/developer is not actually skating on rates since it is the buyer that actually pays them. Also, it is important to distinguish between SFH, multi and commercial, but for SFH I don't think OC has been out of line. Yes, higher than rural counties. And sure, Hillsborough hasn't raised some of theirs since they were introduced 2 decades ago (until their recent increase), but right now OC seems to be in line with the fast paced metro counties. 

But your other point is right on- this is a stupid way to fund growth. Unfortunately, the State limits all other funding avenues (sales, RE taxes) and now sees to be adding more limits to this source. 

On 6/12/2021 at 6:04 AM, spenser1058 said:

From The Sentinel 

I get what you are saying but I would not call this pork. Its a CRA similar to all the other CRA's around the state or within the county. Should it sunset as soon as it is legally possible?Maybe maybe not. But the public should know why it was created and then decide if is worth keeping around. Probably not but that is for the public and the commission to decide. 

15 minutes ago, jack said:

I get what you are saying but I would not call this pork. Its a CRA similar to all the other CRA's around the state or within the county. Should it sunset as soon as it is legally possible?Maybe maybe not. But the public should know why it was created and then decide if is worth keeping around. Probably not but that is for the public and the commission to decide. 

The commission did decide - it ends in 2028 now. In the interim, the restrictions on how it may be spent will be loosened shortly. Sanity has arrived on the Orange County Commission. Funding decisions will be made on the needs of ALL its citizens instead of a tiny little cabal.

One local industry can no longer dictate how money is spent than Walmart can nationwide.