LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The commission did decide - it ends in 2028 now. In the interim, the restrictions on how it may be spent will be loosened shortly. Sanity has arrived on the Orange County Commission. Funding decisions will be made on the needs of ALL its citizens instead of a tiny little cabal.

One local industry can no longer dictate how money is spent than Walmart can nationwide.

Restrictions are state law, not local. Whatever they decide do with the left over funds until 2028 they could have done previously. 

Funding decisions are decided by the CRA board which is the OC commission. They are one and the same. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

Restrictions are state law, not local. Whatever they decide do with the left over funds until 2028 they could have done previously. 

Funding decisions are decided by the CRA board which is the OC commission. They are one and the same. 

Yep, and no firm in the US and no Rick Scott in the country have ever padded any public project. Thank you for clearing that up.

On another front:

Maya Angelou once observed, “When someone tells you what’s in their heart, believe it.” The Republican National Convention has noted in their platform on more than one occasion they are not supporters of public transit. Why do so many keep disbelieving that?

Edited by spenser1058

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Yep, and no firm in the US and no Rick Scott in the country have ever padded any public project. Thank you for clearing that up.

On another front:

Maya Angelou once observed, “When someone tells you what’s in their heart, believe it.” The Republican National Convention has noted in their platform on more than one occasion they are not supporters of public transit. Why do so many keep disbelieving that?

I believe this was in reference to my comment on public infrastructure. 

This is interesting. OPD Chief Orlando Rolon is in the running to become chief of the Fort Lauderdale department. Now, FLL is about half the size of Orlando so that seems a little odd.

There seem to be two possible reasons - the Chief hits 30 years with OPD in 2022 so maybe this is a way to double dip. Either that or he can’t wait to get out of Lake Buddy Mary, either. It’s rough when even your hand-picked staff is ready to leave.

Orlando Police chief vying for position at Fort Lauderdale Police Department
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-chief-rolon-selection-process-fort-lauderdale-police-20210617-xqfio7a53jeojfjlofdsbewbrq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

This is interesting. OPD Chief Orlando Rolon is in the running to become chief of the Fort Lauderdale department. Now, FLL is about half the size of Orlando so that seems a little odd.

There seem to be two possible reasons - the Chief hits 30 years with OPD in 2022 so maybe this is a way to double dip. Either that or he can’t wait to get out of Lake Buddy Mary, either. It’s rough when even your hand-picked staff is ready to leave.

Orlando Police chief vying for position at Fort Lauderdale Police Department
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-chief-rolon-selection-process-fort-lauderdale-police-20210617-xqfio7a53jeojfjlofdsbewbrq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I am sure the pay is better, you get be near the beach for when you actually retire and getting two pensions is very appealing. 

With Stan Van Gundy heading back home to Seminole County, Bianchi wants him to run for tax collector up there.

I’m hoping he’ll head south and buy a house in Lake Buddy Mary so he can run for mayor. Imagine when the DeVos family asks Stan for yet another “special deal” from the city. I’ll sign right up for that campaign!

Over the years, Stan’s had a lot of community involvement in Seminole and would be an excellent choice.

On 6/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Republican National Convention has noted in their platform on more than one occasion they are not supporters of public transit. Why do so many keep disbelieving that?

Probably because thats a lie. I just checked, and the last platform that mentioned the topic from the RNC (2016) was very pro transportation. It was designed to allow projects like Brightline here in Florida to succeed. It states "everyone agrees on the need for clean water and safe roads, rail, bridges, ports, and airports" and then proposed many great ideas to have more transit projects across the nation, like allowing competition and more trains to use the existing lines in the northeast corridor to decrease costs and increase service, and to revoke tons of rules and regulations that unnecessarily increase costs and make it near impossible to build new lines. Yes, it does want the local areas to pick the projects right for them instead of having the feds cherry pick projects for local areas, but it does everything to make it as easy as possible for them.

• 2 weeks later...

The GOP got it wrong again… once again they were just being cruel and greedy because they thought they could. The workers in the country, however, have had enough of the 40 years of meanness and keeping those who actually do the work from making a living wage.

This weekend, of course, the Tallahassee I gang is joining in. I bet their answer will be to quadruple the size of a convention center or something so it’s even more of a white elephant! Anything but, you know, actually helping workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/27/business/economy/jobs-workers-unemployment-benefits.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times

Congratulations especially to the millennials and zoomers for saying enough is enough. It’s what we boomers should have done 40 years ago when “Voodoo Economics” (thanks for calling it, Poppy Bush!) arrived.

UPDATE: It turns out it’s not just happening at the bottom but at the other end as well. Business Insider (it’s a paywall so I didn’t include the link) is reporting Wall Street banks like Goldman Sachs are having a bear of a time hiring junior bankers.

Now, these are college graduates from excellent schools who have a great starting salary but then mostly become well-paid slaves for years on end (and, until recently, living in NYC wasn’t cheap). More evidence the pandemic has made a lot of folks finally say “enough is enough”  and the billionaires and corporations who haven’t cared about anyone beneath the 1% (and their GOP stooges) need to rethink the nation’s priorities.

I’ve been asking this for a while now, but it’s becoming clear we’ve Had Enough.

Take back your life and walk away from anyone and any organization that just regards you as an interchangeable cog.

Edited by spenser1058

Destroying our springs, inland Florida’s greatest gift, to line the pockets of corporations. How much does the state charge to let them pump a million gallons a day? $115.

Now, because for some reason spring, lake and river levels are dropping, the state wants to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to “fix” it, likely diluting the quality of the water sent back to the springs.

These are our Tallahassee Idiots and the Governor’s hand-picked appointees to the water “management” districts.

Had enough?

Check out this article from Daytona Beach News-Journal:

Instead of building pipeline, water district needs to just say 'no' to pumping permits

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/opinion/editorials/2021/06/28/turn-down-permits-dont-build-pipeline/5364540001/

• 2 weeks later...

We have candidates in the District 3 and 5  Orlando City Council races. So far, the Gray Eminence of District 1 is unopposed:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-city-council-elections-20210709-f7yxbnkk2vam3n2iulw3yqgjni-story.html?outputType=amp

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

We have candidates in the District 3 and 5  Orlando City Council races. So far, the Gray Eminence of District 1 is unopposed:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-city-council-elections-20210709-f7yxbnkk2vam3n2iulw3yqgjni-story.html?outputType=amp

Hill, a U.S. Navy veteran and nurse, said another term would spur a push to build more single-family homes in Parramore in hopes of boosting homeownership and housing stock beyond about 1,500 new affordable housing apartments.

Imagine seeing a lack of housing stock IN PARRAMORE and thinking more single-family homes is the solution.

1 minute ago, elefants said:

Imagine seeing a lack of housing stock IN PARRAMORE and thinking more single-family homes is the solution.

Talk to Habitat For Humanity sometime and get back to us. That  would have been the ideal solution for Parramore although it would have required community involvement, waiving antiquated ordinances (that benefit developers) and a decision to think out of the box that Buddy never even tried. As a result, his pledge “to be judged by his success in Parramore” which he handed over to the big project crowd is still a failure after 18 years. When he hits 50 years, maybe he’ll finally get it right. Of course, John Land in Apopka never did in his 50-year reign.

Not to worry, Buddy made sure his billionaire buddies made a killing.

Someday, the good folks of Orlando will figure out when you keep doing the same things over and over and getting the same results, it’s time to try something else. Not to do so is the definition of insanity. 

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Talk to Habitat For Humanity sometime and get back to us. That  would have been the ideal solution for Parramore although it would have required community involvement, waiving antiquated ordinances (that benefit developers) and a decision to think out of the box that Buddy never even tried. As a result, his pledge “to be judged by his success in Parramore” which he handed over to the big project crowd is still a failure after 18 years. When he hits 50 years, maybe he’ll finally get it right. Of course, John Land in Apopka never did in his 50-year reign.

Not to worry, Buddy made sure his billionaire buddies made a killing.

Someday, the good folks of Orlando will figure out when you keep doing the same things over and over and getting the same results, it’s time to try something else. Not to do so is the definition of insanity. 

While far from being complete, I believe Parramore is in a MUCH better place than it was. I'm not sure how one could look at it and seriously come to s different conclusion.

6 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

While far from being complete, I believe Parramore is in a MUCH better place than it was. I'm not sure how one could look at it and seriously come to s different conclusion.

Sure, if you like living next to a soccer stadium and a basketball arena. Should we put a stadium in your neighborhood? Talk to the residents sometime.

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Sure, if you like living next to a soccer stadium and a basketball arena. Should we put a stadium in your neighborhood? Talk to the residents sometime.

I'm in the neighborhood a lot- at least a couple times a week. The stadiums were not built in housing areas.  And the housing stock that has been built in the area dwarfs the investment any previous administration put into it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elefants said:

Single-family homes don't belong in an urban core.  Full stop.

Do you feel that way about South Eola, Thorton Park, Eola Heights...? Parramore is a lot more than just Church St and Parramore Ave. The area between 408 and Gore and Parramore to OBT is very well suited for sfh.

34 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Do you feel that way about South Eola, Thorton Park, Eola Heights...?

I know it's unpopular, but yes I do. 

34 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Parramore is a lot more than just Church St and Parramore Ave. The area between 408 and Gore and Parramore to OBT is very well suited for sfh.

It may be suited for it now,  but it will become increasingly less so as condos and apartments encroach on OBT.  Parramore land is still the cheapest around downtown and is laid out well for density.  Gentrification is coming and single family homes are the least efficient way to create the housing stock needed to slow it down.

Edited by elefants

@elefantsno doubt would have been their leading the charge for Cabrini Green and Pruitt-Igoe. His vision is also a big reason our largest cities are bereft of children.

Effective urban areas are a rich stew of all sorts of people, housing and ideas. When folks visit cities, they don’t spend most of their time in concrete canyons. They visit places like Little Five Points in Atlanta and Greenwich Village in NYC. Sure, places like Chicago have towers. They also have townhomes, brick apartment buildings  and delightful ethnic neighborhoods (Boston is famous for theirs). Would you level Georgetown and DuPont Circle in DC to achieve such sameness? How about Old Paris? Europe is generally more urban than the US but has fewer towers. It seems there are variations on being “urban”.

Atlanta was where I came of age. We watched as Midtown grew vertically while right next door Ponce went funky and Virginia-Highland/Morningside kept their casual classiness. It was the perfect juxtaposition and no one (least of those outside the Perimeter) would have said any of it wasn’t “urban”.

Take a look some time and see the churn in Orlando’s soulless apartment buildings. As soon as they are able, even the folks in, ahem, Urban Planet decamp for Wadeview Park.

As @JFW657has often observed, Orlando isn’t Manhattan and we don’t want it to be. Our destiny is something quite different. We should avoid sprawl wherever possible but embrace the coziness of real neighborhoods. 

Edited by spenser1058

23 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Do you feel that way about South Eola, Thorton Park, Eola Heights...? Parramore is a lot more than just Church St and Parramore Ave. The area between 408 and Gore and Parramore to OBT is very well suited for sfh.

22 hours ago, elefants said:

I know it's unpopular, but yes I do. 

It may be suited for it now,  but it will become increasingly less so as condos and apartments encroach on OBT.  Parramore land is still the cheapest around downtown and is laid out well for density.  Gentrification is coming and single family homes are the least efficient way to create the housing stock needed to slow it down.

@elefantsSo I'm trying to understand what you're saying: SFH shouldn't be built on vacant lots or should existing single family housing stock in Thornton Park and Lake Eola Heights be razed to make way for multifamily?

I agree with what you said about gentrification/development in Parramore. Stats I looked at a while back showed most property in Parramore is more investor owned with very few owner occupied properties. I wouldn't mind seeing Wadeview/Baldwin Park style townhomes & a couple apartments fill Parramore (keep the historic churches and save the bungalows on W Concord & Arlington streets). The homes on Concord/Arlington were rehabbed by Habitat for Humanity years ago and the owner occupants have done great jobs improving/preserving those propertes after all this time. I almost bought a bungalow in Parramore on W Concord St about 10 years ago in anticipation of Parramore's revitalization, Creative Village, etc. but I got cold feet. Back then I went door to door and met a very friendly and very diverse group of neighbors living there (various races, gay, straight, old, young newcomers and long time residents).

I think the only thing holding Parramore back is the crime. People are still being murdered/shot in the street over there (albeit probably fewer numbers than in the past). Several homeless shelters in the area aren't helping things progress either. Ain't nobody going to pay 400k+ for a townhome with homeless stragglers with mental health/addiction issues loitering around the neighborhood without dedicated support from the City and OPD to put an end to it.

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

@elefantsSo I'm trying to understand what you're saying: SFH shouldn't be built on vacant lots or should existing single family housing stock in Thornton Park and Lake Eola Heights be razed to make way for multifamily?

New builds should not be SFH.  No reason to raze perfectly good homes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wadeview/Baldwin Park style townhomes & a couple apartments fill Parramore (keep the historic churches and save the bungalows on W Concord & Arlington streets).

That would be great.  As for the bungalows, no reason to raze perfectly good homes.

Ain't nobody going to pay 400k+ for a townhome with homeless stragglers with mental health/addiction issues loitering around the neighborhood without dedicated support from the City and OPD to put an end to it.

Agreed. Without getting too political, that'll not go away until it's addressed on a federal level.