LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

On 7/11/2021 at 1:08 AM, elefants said:

New builds should not be SFH.  No reason to raze perfectly good homes.

That would be great.  As for the bungalows, no reason to raze perfectly good homes.

Agreed. Without getting too political, that'll not go away until it's addressed on a federal level.

It depends where you are in the neighborhood. Generally east of Parramore is more dense, west less so. 

If you keep the density between Parramore and Rosalind, it will take 100 years at this rate to build that area out. 

If you are waiting for the feds to deal with crime, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiZutmby97xAhXPKs0KHW13DbcQFjAAegQIAhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWaiting_for_Godot&usg=AOvVaw2vcGytS-ULb1zU5Ma9-HIy

On 7/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, nite owℓ said:

@elefantsSo I'm trying to understand what you're saying: SFH shouldn't be built on vacant lots or should existing single family housing stock in Thornton Park and Lake Eola Heights be razed to make way for multifamily?

I agree with what you said about gentrification/development in Parramore. Stats I looked at a while back showed most property in Parramore is more investor owned with very few owner occupied properties. I wouldn't mind seeing Wadeview/Baldwin Park style townhomes & a couple apartments fill Parramore (keep the historic churches and save the bungalows on W Concord & Arlington streets). The homes on Concord/Arlington were rehabbed by Habitat for Humanity years ago and the owner occupants have done great jobs improving/preserving those propertes after all this time. I almost bought a bungalow in Parramore on W Concord St about 10 years ago in anticipation of Parramore's revitalization, Creative Village, etc. but I got cold feet. Back then I went door to door and met a very friendly and very diverse group of neighbors living there (various races, gay, straight, old, young newcomers and long time residents).

I think the only thing holding Parramore back is the crime. People are still being murdered/shot in the street over there (albeit probably fewer numbers than in the past). Several homeless shelters in the area aren't helping things progress either. Ain't nobody going to pay 400k+ for a townhome with homeless stragglers with mental health/addiction issues loitering around the neighborhood without dedicated support from the City and OPD to put an end to it.

I almost did the same thing in 2007. Glad I waited. 

Edited by jack

2 hours ago, jack said:

I almost did the same thing in 2007. Glad I waited. 

Really, so did you end up buying or not?

I was looking at the mustard colored bungalow on Concord back when it was a short sale. The bank wanted 120k back then lol... think it ended up selling for 80k. I really loved the layout and architecture and the neighbors were super nice. I fell in love with that house. Also considered a mixed use property on the college park side, was planning to let a business rent the main house which was zoned commercial and live in the mother in law building in the back. Had to back out because the mother in law unit was built without permits.

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Really, so did you end up buying or not?

I was looking at the mustard colored bungalow on Concord back when it was a short sale. The bank wanted 120k back then lol... think it ended up selling for 80k. I really loved the layout and architecture and the neighbors were super nice. I fell in love with that house. Also considered a mixed use property on the college park side, was planning to let a business rent the main house which was zoned commercial and live in the mother in law building in the back. Had to back out because the mother in law unit was built without permits.

No, I bought a few years later after the market crashed in wade view. 

23 hours ago, jack said:

If you keep the density between Parramore and Rosalind, it will take 100 years at this rate to build that area out. 

Do cities not benefit from the dense housing and its necessary infrastructure built 100 years ago?

Edited by elefants

Not local or State, but it is politics. JD Vance (candidate for US Senate, OH) says that he was planning a visit to New York, which he has heard is “disgusting and violent.” 

I ran across this great graphic a few months back which shows that 1 out of every 38 Americans live in NYC.  What is he saying about Americans?

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/maps-extremes-us-population-density/

On 7/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, jack said:

No, I bought a few years later after the market crashed in wade view. 

Good choice. Around that time I remember someone declaring Wadeview Park would be the next big thing. I saw the potential, but took it with  a gain of salt because at the time S Orange was still a depressing, decaying mess and I didn't think commercial owners on S Orange would invest in revitalization. Glad to see the turn around. My only wish as Sodo matures is that it would upscale to higher end boutiques and shops similar to WP village. Throw in an Ulta or Sephora to round off the demographic. The Ross/Publix Plaza is way past due for an overhaul and would be the cherry on top of all the changes.

22 hours ago, elefants said:

Do cities not benefit from the dense housing and its necessary infrastructure built 100 years ago?

Yes, but my point is we can concentrate on very dense projects within that boundary and let the remainder stay 1-3 stories. 

19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Not local or State, but it is politics. JD Vance (candidate for US Senate, OH) says that he was planning a visit to New York, which he has heard is “disgusting and violent.” 

I ran across this great graphic a few months back which shows that 1 out of every 38 Americans live in NYC.  What is he saying about Americans?

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/maps-extremes-us-population-density/

It is just  stupid ploy. The worse is he knows better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Florida and the twelve other holdout states need to expand Medicaid. The Federal government is paying for 90% of it, not the individual states. Not expanding it is purely political and is harming their citizens.

1624462221428.jpg

Amen.

I've been saying that for the past 10 years ever since the initial passing of Obamacare whereupon Rick "Skeletor/Scumbag" Scott sued to have it overturned resulting in it being upheld by the SCOTUS all except for the states taking part in Medicaid expansion being made voluntary.

Of course, now that I'm nearly eligible for Medicare in less than a year anyway and it's too late to do me any good, it's not personal with me anymore. So if it never happens and a lot of people who keep voting Republicans into the state legislature die from lack of healthcare, it's no loss to me.

The more the merrier on that score afaic. 

Edited by JFW657

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Amen.

I've been saying that for the past 10 years ever since the initial passing of Obamacare whereupon Rick "Skeletor/Scumbag" Scott sued to have it overturned resulting in it being upheld by the SCOTUS all except for the states taking part in Medicaid expansion being made voluntary.

Of course, now that I'm nearly eligible for Medicare in less than a year anyway and it's too late to do me any good, it's not personal with me anymore. So if it never happens and a lot of people who keep voting Republicans into the state legislature die from lack of healthcare, it's no loss to me.

The more the merrier on that score afaic. 

I agree that I’d be happy to let Darwin kick in here, except for there’s a huge amount of collateral damage that will occur among folks who have no desire to take us back to the Confederacy.
When I think of the hopeful progress Florida made for so much of my life from LeRoy Collins through Lawton Chiles (including even Republican governors like Claude Kirk who made huge progress on the environment and Bob Martinez who tried to make our tax structure sane), I wonder how for the last 25 years we’ve become hellbent on turning into Mississippi. It still boggles my mind.

Edited by spenser1058

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I agree that I’d be happy to let Darwin kick in here, except for there’s a huge amount of collateral damage that will occur among folks who have no desire to take us back to the Confederacy.
When I think of the hopeful progress Florida made for so much of my life from LeRoy Collins through Lawton Chiles (including even Republican governors like Claude Kirk who made huge progress on the environment and Bob Martinez who tried to make our tax structure sane), I wonder how for the last 25 years we’ve become hellbent on turning into Mississippi. It still boggles my mind.

Naked right-wing power politics.

It started as being all about denying Obama & the Democrats credit for fixing the health care crisis.  Now they've just become entrenched and even though Obama is long since out of office, they still don't want the Democrats to get credit for anything. 

Obamacare was based on a model created by The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, back in the 90's and was touted by Newt Gingrich and the Republicans as their alternative to Hillarycare. Mitt Romney instituted it in Massachusetts.  As soon as Obama co-opted it and began his efforts to get it signed into law, the Republicans suddenly began howling that it was the worst thing ever proposed.   

• Like 1

It’s intriguing to see the very clear split between the progressives and the “same old, same old” arising in Orlando’s  District 3 City Council race:

From Florida Politics 

I’ve been proud to support Robert for years (along with the other Stuarts running for office) but I’m going with Nicolette this year to try and get Orlando moving again.

It isn’t lost on me that Robert’s older brother George first ran for the council when he was 26. Today, leadership in the city looks more like the cast of “Cocoon” *sigh*.

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Oh lawd only in Orlando is someone who worked on the Bloomberg campaign "progressive."

Agreed, but it’s all relative. Compared to the Stuart crowd, she is progressive. Orlando’s politics are so fossilized you have to take what you can get.

It’s also unusual that an internet discussion board in a blue city is as wedded to the status quo as UP Orlando but here we are.

Personally, I’d like to go with Leigh Shannon and the drag vote but given a very mainstream (not to mention cute but I digress) establishment gay candidate couldn’t get traction in District 4 before, I’m going for the win.

Edited by spenser1058

One of the earliest of the Tallahassee Idiots to drive the Florida GOP into the ditch, it’s striking to see just how little the desires of the community mean to Chris Dorworth. He makes even Rick Scott look like a beneficent philanthropist:

From The Sentinel 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-prem-seminole-county-river-cross-dorworth-lawsuit-20210726-2wa4thnjhvf2njzljaumgtfue4-story.html

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Agreed, but it’s all relative. Compared to the Stuart crowd, she is progressive. Orlando’s politics are so fossilized you have to take what you can get.

It’s also unusual that an internet discussion board in a blue city is as wedded to the status quo as UP Orlando but here we are.

Personally, I’d like to go with Leigh Shannon and the drag vote but given a very mainstream (not to mention cute but I digress) establishment gay candidate couldn’t get traction in District 4 before, I’m going for the win.

It seems like this internet discussion board has a very diverse set of members representing all sort of views which is probably representative of this City. We may vote blue, but it does not tell you much. 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s great to see 24-year old Maxwell Frost joining the race for Val Demings’ Congressional seat (she’s running against Marco this time *passes Marco a bottle of water*).

We have young-ish candidates for the Legislature, Congress, even the presidency (yay! Secretary Mayor Pete!)

Meanwhile, Orlando city government is like a Lawrence Welk tea dance. C’mon, guys, let’s get our city moving. All you young UP whippersnappers, sign up!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-maxwell-frost-congress-20210811-kai5sw5doraqnkoximqi7ijrwe-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 3.06.13 PM.png

Of course she will since her bf is a big honcho in the marijuana business. Sadly, Nikki’s ethically challenged. Not as bad as Andrew, but after the 2018 mess we need someone beyond reproach on the blue team.

Playing dirty is for the GOP (see the latest news on Jason Brodeur).