LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

The UCF grad (Bo Kennedy) who returned Tom Brady’s historic pass football is also Charlie Crist’s  nephew:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers/os-sp-tampa-bay-bucs-tom-brady-600th-touchdown-charlie-crist-nephew-20211028-ztvksa2gwvclbb656u3dovlr5a-story.html

From The Sentinel 

This class guy went to a class school and comes from a class Florida family - Charge On!

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Wow.

Anyway...so, I went to that MLS exhibition game a few years back (2015?) here at the Citrus Bowl between Manchester United and Argentina (I think).  I was talking to a few Brits who crossed The Pond to watch this match.  I asked them about Trump because of the whole Brexit thing and his similar platform.  They didn't answer my question; instead, their response was simply that in the US, the media has a stranglehold on the public- much worse than in Europe, and that in Europe, the citizens are much more educated and have a better handle on what's really going on there and around the world.    At the time, I was like...what, are you nuts?  I mean I already knew that Europeans were more educated than Americans- for the better part of my life.  But as far as the media and information? There's no way that's the case here?  The Land of the Free...right?

Boy was I wrong.  Not only are Europeans more educated and cultured as we SHOULD already know, but they also have a better grasp on current events as well and don't fall prey so easily to the propaganda machine.

You know that whole fallacy about when you're in a bad relationship, you just can't see it but outsiders see everything? And at the same time you just don't want to hear it, but self reflect ONLY AFTER that bad relationship has ended?  Yeah, that's the one.

Pay close attention to what's been going on outside of the US.  Do your own research.  Talk to people.  Talk to friends, family, and acquaintances in other countries (if you or any other of your cheerleaders on this forum even have any).   Talk to recent immigrants (if you even know any).    Talk to immigrants that you've helped become US citizens (if there even are any).   Talk to business owners, not just government workers or civil servants.  Talk to professionals that do business overseas.  Talk to people that voted for Trump, and I mean all creeds.  It's ok. they won't bite.  You may learn something. 

Believe me when I say, that Europeans do not think much of Americans as a whole.  Neither do the Chinese.  You may think Trump supporters are a bunch of ignorant hillbillies and relish in that concocted moralistic high ground of yours... but boy do I have news for you...Europeans think the entire US are a bunch of ignorant hillbillies regardless of how you vote.  And by the way, so do the Chinese.

Be better than that.  

And on the topic  of "shameful," there is nothing more pathetic than someone saying "jump!" and you responding with a resounding "how high," instead of responding with "why?"  And it's even more pathetic when the jumper tries to socially shame others who did not jump like they did.  And the authority just sits back and throws another food crumb in the hamster cage while the hamster is eagerly spinning on that wheel.

Whatever your point was, about mask shaming that "Trumpist" or whatever other related BS Democrats are so predictable about; in the end,  just know you'll still be seen as a bunch of scum by the parties listed above.  It doesn't gain you anything.  

Don't be a mindless drone.

Anyone who cannot see what a lowlife POS and DANGEROUS DEMAGOGUE Trump is... THEY are the mindless drones.

Anyone who gets offended by hearing Trump or his cultists (yes that's right... Trump devotees are followers of Trump's Cult Of Personality and as such, are cultists) criticized, or dismissed as being so, is a mindless drone.

Anyone who defends Trump or his cultist supporters is a mindless drone.

And with almost half the country having supported Trump in 2020 even after 4 years of his insane BS.... I would say the Europeans have good reason to view the US as a bunch of ignorant, inbred hillbillies.

Even the educated ones who support him. 

Edited by JFW657

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Anyone who cannot see what a lowlife POS and DANGEROUS DEMAGOGUE Trump is... THEY are the mindless drones.

Anyone who gets offended by hearing Trump or his cultists (yes that's right... Trump devotees are followers of Trump's Cult Of Personality and as such, are cultists) criticized, or dismissed as being so, is a mindless drone.

And with almost half the country having supported Trump in 2020 even after 4 years of his insane BS.... I would say the Europeans have good reason to view the US as a bunch of ignorant, inbred hillbillies.

I don't buy Europeans are more educated, whatever the means. Its a selection bias based on the ones that travel here. Besides, some of the leaders over there  ...unique. They have radical political parties because of their parliamentary system. 

2 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't buy Europeans are more educated, whatever the means. Its a selection bias based on the ones that travel here. Besides, some of the leaders over there  ...unique. They have radical political parties because of their parliamentary system. 

The fact is that they have a better primary and secondary education system than we do.

Most European kids have to learn a second language, that usually being English. 

When I was in my early 20's I dated a girl on Merritt Island who had spent 10 years in Germany from the age of 5 to 15. She went to school in the German school system from kindergarden through our equivalent of middle school. She was a cute, ditzy little blonde but she was academically very smart. All Honors classes in HS including math and science. That was because she had a good primary education. 

A few years later, in my late 20's after I moved over here to Orlando, I met a girl who was born and raised in Switzerland. She spoke FIVE languages!!! Her "mother tongue" as she put it, was French, but she was also fluent in English, German and Spanish and conversational in Italian.  And she was also very academically smart. 

It's not just that they just have a better school system over there, but also that their culture tends to respect and value education more than ours tends to.

I think we've all known or known of "country" types who scoff at educated people.

Those same values rub off on their kids. 

A lot of Americans have more respect for rugged individualism and for people like those who've made millions from businesses they started and turned into huge corporations after having dropped out of high school. 

I think those kinds of people are more respected in this country than scientists.

Just look at how Dr Fauci is regarded by the rightwing anti vaxxer crowd. 

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Nah, sorry, you don't get a pass for voting Democrat and renouncing logic.  You are still uncultured scum.    The Brits see Americans as scum and always have.  The French...OMG...they don't care if you're a Democrat.   Are you even multilingual yourself?  Give me a break.  You can be a Democrat but you are still seen as an uncultured hillbilly swine.  Pandering to Europeans doesn't score you points.  At least when I'm in Europe visiting aunts, uncles, and colleagues and I speak the tongue I get a pass.  It's actually laughable how much disdain they have for you.  

You are nothing but a NASCAR driver battling for pole position thinking you're better than all the other drivers, while the Formula One drivers look at you and laugh.  

BTW, for everyone else on these boards:  to a leftist, anybody who is not a leftist is everything that JFW657 states above.  Why is that?  Because it is just like Star Wars and all those wonderful analogies they wrote into the story. "If you are not with me, you are my enemy" (Anakin to Obi-Wan).

In fact that was the whole purpose of Trump.  Acknowledged, he is an asshole  who rattled the hornet's nest.  Duh? The brilliance of it is this: the system is geared to hold you down.  So when the system rebels against Trump, you join them like a good like lapdog, crawling behind your dom like a good little cuck; the ultimate yes-man.  You like to be held down.  I have zero respect for that.  And that's what you'll always be- a yes-man; a stooge.  fudge, if you're gonna be a stooge, at least be one for like the mob where you can at least get paid well and get a couple of whores every now and then; maybe even a pack of Lucky's off the back of a truck.  

And I've got news for you, Europeans actually protest policies they disagree with- even vaccine mandates and lockdowns.  And those same Europeans look at us and they see all these yes-men getting into formation like mindless drones that they are, doing exactly as Uncle Sam expects.  How the fudge did the US liberate us from Hitler they wonder.

Back to Trump.  His purpose was to flush out all of the true leftists and drive them into madness by upsetting the politically correct and racist cesspool propagated by Obama.  Go march around Lake Eola.  Go exclaim into the heavens like that lady at the inauguration. Go cancel a friend like a fudgeing adolescent.  Go smoke some weed, take your meds, shoot up-  Do whatever it is you do to cope.  It appears that Trump's strategy worked based on the tone of your posts.  

So, do what you do best.  Get  back into formation like the good little drone that you are.  And remember, the leftist elite aren't going to reward you for your service.  They will just discard you when being their useful idiot is no longer useful to them.

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Nah, sorry, you don't get a pass for voting Democrat and renouncing logic.  You are still uncultured scum.    The Brits see Americans as scum and always have.  The French...OMG...they don't care if you're a Democrat.   Are you even multilingual yourself?  Give me a break.  You can be a Democrat but you are still seen as an uncultured hillbilly swine.  Pandering to Europeans doesn't score you points.  At least when I'm in Europe visiting aunts, uncles, and colleagues and I speak the tongue I get a pass.  It's actually laughable how much disdain they have for you.  

You are nothing but a NASCAR driver battling for pole position thinking you're better than all the other drivers, while the Formula One drivers look at you and laugh.  

BTW, for everyone else on these boards:  to a leftist, anybody who is not a leftist is everything that JFW657 states above.  Why is that?  Because it is just like Star Wars and all those wonderful analogies they wrote into the story. "If you are not with me, you are my enemy" (Anakin to Obi-Wan).

In fact that was the whole purpose of Trump.  Acknowledged, he is an asshole  who rattled the hornet's nest.  Duh? The brilliance of it is this: the system is geared to hold you down.  So when the system rebels against Trump, you join them like a good like lapdog, crawling behind your dom like a good little cuck; the ultimate yes-man.  You like to be held down.  I have zero respect for that.  And that's what you'll always be- a yes-man; a stooge.  fudge, if you're gonna be a stooge, at least be one for like the mob where you can at least get paid well and get a couple of whores every now and then; maybe even a pack of Lucky's off the back of a truck.  

And I've got news for you, Europeans actually protest policies they disagree with- even vaccine mandates and lockdowns.  And those same Europeans look at us and they see all these yes-men getting into formation like mindless drones that they are, doing exactly as Uncle Sam expects.  How the fudge did the US liberate us from Hitler they wonder.

Back to Trump.  His purpose was to flush out all of the true leftists and drive them into madness by upsetting the politically correct and racist cesspool propagated by Obama.  Go march around Lake Eola.  Go exclaim into the heavens like that lady at the inauguration. Go cancel a friend like a fudgeing adolescent.  Go smoke some weed, take your meds, shoot up-  Do whatever it is you do to cope.  It appears that Trump's strategy worked based on the tone of your posts.  

So, do what you do best.  Get  back into formation like the good little drone that you are.  And remember, the leftist elite aren't going to reward you for your service.  They will just discard you when being their useful idiot is no longer useful to them.

TL/DR.

Your unhinged, sub-moronic nonsense gets less and less readable everytime you spew it.

Oh, and one other thing....

Buh-bye.

Man, this is cringey. Drooling over the Europeans for how supposedly "much smarter they are" and how supposedly "cultured" they are and how they're supposedly "laughing at us." They had to form a union just to keep themselves from slaughtering each other like they've been doing for thousands of years. Oh, but they have accents so we're supposed to romanticize them and be in awe of them. Europe has produced countless mass murdering dictators. How many has the U.S. had? None. Nobody's record is perfect, but the U.S. has had a much cleaner and better record on human rights than Europe does. Some European countries still outlaw same-sex marriage. And Europe has right wing radicals who cause mayhem in their countries still in the year 2021 too. Except ours are named Jimbob and play the banjo with straw in their mouth, while in Europe their right wing radicals are literal Nazi skinheads who do that garbage right out openly in public. When the U.S. has a fascist dictator putting people in gas chambers and using their skin as lampshades then the Europeans can talk about how smart and cultured they are. Otherwise, get off your pretentious high horse.

Edited by orange87

13 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Man, this is cringey. Deepthroating the Europeans for how supposedly "much smarter they are" and how supposedly "cultured" they are and how they're supposedly "laughing at us." They had to form a union just to keep themselves from slaughtering each other like they've been doing for thousands of years. Oh, but they have accents so we're supposed to romanticize them and be in awe of them. Europe has produced countless mass murdering dictators. How many has the U.S. had? None. Nobody's record is perfect, but the U.S. has had a much cleaner and better record on human rights than Europe does. Some European countries still outlaw same-sex marriage. And Europe has right wing radicals who cause mayhem in their countries still in the year 2021 too. Except ours are named Jimbob and play the banjo with straw in their mouth, while in Europe their right wing radicals are literal Nazi skinheads who do that garbage right out openly in public. When the U.S. has a fascist dictator putting people in gas chambers and using their skin as lampshades then the Europeans can talk about how smart and cultured they are. Otherwise, get off your pretentious high horse.

Who exactly are you directing the above comments to?

Because if it's me, I did not engage in any of whatever it you're making accusations of.

All I said was that Europeans have a better educational system than we do and they tend to place more value on and have a greater respect for education because they do. Like it or not. I do not see how that is romanticizing, being in awe of or otherwise fellating them as you suggested.

As for all the other stuff you spoke of... that all took place centuries ago and re: Hitler, nearly one century ago.

I don't know about anyone ese, but I try to confine my discussions to the current, modern world.

Say, the past 40 - 50 years.

If you have to go back to the middle ages or even to WWII to make a point, you have no point to make. 

BTW... Speaking of being on pretentious high horses and all, there are a lot of Nazi skinhead groups in the US too, in case you haven't heard. Also, we had slavery, Indian massacres and reservations. 

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

Who exactly are you directing the above comments to?

Because if it's me, I did not engage in any of whatever it you're making accusations of.

All I said was that Europeans have a better educational system than we do and they tend to place more value on and have a greater respect for education because they do. Like it or not. I do not see how that is romanticizing, being in awe of or otherwise fellating them as you suggested.

As for all the other stuff you spoke of... that all took place centuries ago and re: Hitler, nearly one century ago.

I don't know about anyone ese, but I try to confine my discussions to the current, modern world.

Say, the past 40 - 50 years.

If you have to go back to the middle ages or even to WWII to make a point, you have no point to make. 

BTW... Speaking of being on pretentious high horses and all, there are a lot of Nazi skinhead groups in the US too, in case you haven't heard. Also, we had slavery, Indian massacres and reservations. 

My comment was directed at jrs2 not you. I should have been more specific. I agree with you that it's annoying when people bring up stuff in the distant past to make an argument about modern times. The reason I did it here is because of the "culture" aspect which is heavily rooted in the past.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, orange87 said:

My comment was directed at jrs2 not you. I should have been more specific. I agree with you that it's annoying when people bring up stuff in the distant past to make an argument about modern times. The reason I did it here is because of the "culture" aspect which is heavily rooted in the past.

Thanks. 

It’s important when talking about “Europeans” to actually get more granular to individuals, regions, countries, and even states within countries.

Otherwise, it’s just painting with a broad brush and the point is well, pointless.  Education in Norway is quite different from that of Ukraine.  Education in Northern Ireland is decidedly different from England. Turkey does not push progressive educational practices.

Similarly, when discussing education in US, it is also important to clarify that not all states are equal.  Some states, such as Connecticut and Massachusetts, by pure advantages, are leaps and bounds ahead of Alabama and Mississippi. 

American branding is heavily sought after all over Europe — music, TV, culture, clothing, and yes even fast food. 

Do Parisians turn their noses to Americans? Sure they do. Reality is, they are just as mean to each other as they are to your fat aunt there on vacation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Man, this is cringey. Drooling over the Europeans for how supposedly "much smarter they are" and how supposedly "cultured" they are and how they're supposedly "laughing at us." They had to form a union just to keep themselves from slaughtering each other like they've been doing for thousands of years. Oh, but they have accents so we're supposed to romanticize them and be in awe of them. Europe has produced countless mass murdering dictators. How many has the U.S. had? None. Nobody's record is perfect, but the U.S. has had a much cleaner and better record on human rights than Europe does. Some European countries still outlaw same-sex marriage. And Europe has right wing radicals who cause mayhem in their countries still in the year 2021 too. Except ours are named Jimbob and play the banjo with straw in their mouth, while in Europe their right wing radicals are literal Nazi skinheads who do that garbage right out openly in public. When the U.S. has a fascist dictator putting people in gas chambers and using their skin as lampshades then the Europeans can talk about how smart and cultured they are. Otherwise, get off your pretentious high horse.

This is beyond cringey. Europe is a large diverse continent with all of the blemishes you describe above. Anytime I hear someone that is from that continent trans talk us, I remind them of the blood and treasure that was spent in WW2. Especially someone French. 

And don't get me started on the rank anti semitism in parts of Europe. We have our problems but we deal with it. 

It’s a sad day in Hogtown. Not only did the Gators get demolished in The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party by those da*n ‘Dawgs, but the state’s flagship university has now caved to the Tallahassee idiots by prohibiting three professors from testifying as expert witnesses in the voting rights case against Gov. DeSantis.

They previously have been able to testify in such cases. Who needs academic freedom?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-florida-professors-cant-testify-voting-law-20211030-gh62trcs4zedfounaf4kib4f5a-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Election Day is Tuesday for voters in all or part of Orlando, Oviedo (take a chicken to vote!), Lake Mary and Mount Dora.

There are two critical elections not to miss if you’re eligible to vote in them:

• Orlando, District 3: I have supported Robert Stuart for years. That’s just the problem, though: he’s running for a fourth term as part of a council infamous for not doing much of anything. Unlike Districts 1 and 5, there’s a great alternative in this race. Nicolette Springer has been incredibly active with the League of Women Voters in trying to roll back nonsense statewide but she’s also young and has the energy to get Orlando, especially the intown areas, moving again.

• Chris Dorworth, one of the sleaziest developers of all time, is trying to bully the Seminole County Commission into rolling back voter-approved wilderness areas. So far, they’re admirably holding the line. Unfortunately, he could go into Oviedo, get them to annex the area and then have them undo the will of the voters to line his pockets.

And there are developers running for Oviedo mayor who would be thrilled to take part. Fortunately, incumbent Megan Sladek has the fortitude and knowledge to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Polls are open 7am - 7pm Tuesday so make sure to get out and vote if you haven’t yet. With the small turnout these races have, it’s far too easy for the bad guys to gin up their turnout while the good people think there’s little at stake. This time, there really is.

Oh, and so @prahaboheme won’t accuse me of neglecting Osceola, St . Cloud’s also having a special election on Oct. 9!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

TODAY IS ELECTION DAY for all or part of Lake Mary, Mt. Dora, Orlando and Oviedo. If you haven’t yet, make sure to VOTE TODAY.

If you live in College Park, Rosemont, Ivanhoe Village, Audubon Park or Baldwin Park, you have a chance to make a huge difference today in District 3.

Oviedo voters also have a chance to make sure Seminole County’s voter-approved wilderness areas stay intact by returning the incumbent mayor to office.

Just make sure to VOTE! 9% turnouts almost guarantee the bad guys win since they’ll be sure to protect their interests so they can line their pockets. When all of us vote, we can make sure the winners are working for all of us, not just a few.

The likely announcement tomorrow that Steinmetz Hall FINALLY has an opening date, signaling the completion of DPCPA 19 years after Buddy took office, is a relief.

It was one of Buddy’s initial promises. Polls at the time showed it was considered by the public to be the most important venue the city needed.

Of course, Buddy chose to ignore the public and bumped his Billionaire Buddies, the DeVos Family, and the jocks over at FCS (who hadn’t even asked to be a part of the venue package), ahead in line.

In fact, the public saw no need to replace the original arena, given it was barely 15 years old and had been built to NBA specs.

That’s ok, though, Buddy knows what’s good for us. So enjoy the announcement tomorrow, knowing that Buddy’s timeline for Orlando voters comes after that of his Buddies.

If we ever get a mayor and council that, you know, want to actually do something, they might take a look at this referendum on the ballot in Miami Beach today.

Of course, SoBe is party central, but even there it’s getting a bit out of hand.

If it passes, the city commission will look at rolling back last call to 2am.

Is it time for Orlando to dial back the alcohol to make downtown more attractive to other demographics? Let’s see how things go in one of Florida‘s best party atmospheres:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/468870-miami-beach-alcohol-cutoff-2/

From Florida Politics 

St. Pete elects its first Black mayor, Ken Welch. It wasn’t particularly close, showing that the conservative city that was once known as “God’s waiting room” has become a progressive Democratic powerhouse.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/466266-welch-easily-defeats-robert-blackmon-will-be-st-petes-first-black-mayor/

From Florida Politics 

Meanwhile, Republican incumbent mayor defeated a Q-anon Trumpist in the Lakeland mayoral race. Glad to see they haven’t gone ‘round the bend in Publix’ hometown:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/469583-bill-mutz-secures-second-term-as-lakeland-mayor/

From Florida Politics 

Did you know? Lakeland is the country’s second fastest-growing city.