LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

17 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Well this is weird and gross.

299050089_610848320412821_4828772880218608529_n.thumb.jpg.a342c436e7d03c5d92161ceaf5a745f7.jpg

That looks like something from the Roger Stone bag of tricks. If. I had to guess (remember this is a blue district), I’d say the GOP is trying to weaken the strongest candidate.

If it came from our side (and God I hope that’s not the case - we don’t play that way), I’d start with Grayson. Nevertheless, it’s all speculation.

It’s poorly timed, too - early voting’s almost done and turnout on Election Day is usually sparse for a midterm primary that’s putting up slow numbers so far.

I hope you Republicans are happy. The top two candidates on the GQP side for District 7 are both MAGA wackadoodles (Cory Mills and Anthony Sabatini).

It’s a far cry from someone sane like Stephanie Murphy. Great gerrymander, guys!

Meanwhile, up in FL House District 20, we have GQPer candidate Luis Miguel offering this tweet:

‘“Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all other federal troops on sight,” Miguel tweeted. “Let freedom ring.”’

From Florida Politics

Y’all must be proud to be Republicans with thinking like this.

Edited by spenser1058

It’s interesting the 2022 elections aren’t even over but there’s already jockeying for position on the Tampa City Council next year.

Tampa’s term-limited, so they’re able to avoid the sclerotic lack of change that prevents Orlando from any change. If a commissioner like Patty Sheehan hasn’t been effective in almost 25 years, what incentive does she have in the next four years except a first-hand look at the facilities at the Marks St Senior Center:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/elections/2022/08/19/candidates-lining-up-for-tampa-city-council-races-next-year/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

I used to believe Orlando was better than this but I was wrong.

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, spenser1058 said:

I hope you Republicans are happy. The top two candidates on the GQP side for District 7 are both MAGA wackadoodles (Cory Mills and Anthony Sabatini).

It’s a far cry from someone sane like Stephanie Murphy. Great gerrymander, guys!

Meanwhile, up in FL House District 20, we have GQPer candidate Luis Miguel offering this tweet:

‘“Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all other federal troops on sight,” Miguel tweeted. “Let freedom ring.”’

From Florida Politics

Y’all must be proud to be Republicans with thinking like this.

The GOP has made quite the pivot from "blue lives matter."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Here's an interesting exchange between me and my unhinged radical leftist brother. For some context, my brother has advocated for burning down buildings to attempt to further leftist causes.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 4.46.55 PM.png

You never know. My brother was a complete ‘60’s hippie and nowadays is a complete MAGA wackadoodle.

Of course, what we now know is that many of the “leftist” causes of the ‘60’s, among the males, especially, like being against the war, was all about them more than any deep philosophy. Most were far from progressive on civil rights and refused to take responsibility for much of anything. It was, as a result, almost natural for them to turn into MAGAts at the other end of the line. 

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You never know. My brother was a complete ‘60’s hippie and nowadays is a complete MAGA wackadoodle.

Of course, what we now know is that many of the “leftist” causes of the ‘60’s, among the males, especially, like being against the war, was all about them more than any deep philosophy. Most were far from progressive on civil rights and refused to take responsibility for much of anything. It was, as a result, almost natural for them to turn into MAGAts at the other end of the line. 

How do we "know" that?

Do you have a source?

Results of a study? 

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Sure would be nice if we could delete our own posts.

This forum software is weird. 

I was on another forum awhile back that uses it.

Everyone was all hung up on The Leaderboard.

The best forum software afaic is vBulletin

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

How do we "know" that?

Do you have a source?

Results of a study? 

This forum software is weird. 

I was on another forum awhile back that uses it.

Everyone was all hung up on The Leaderboard.

The best forum software afaic is vBulletin

Yes, with the coming of the Tea Party back in 2010, there were a lot of articles on what then seemed confusing - older boomers becoming among the most active in the TP wave. I paid a good bit of attention to it since I was encountering it with my brother (who’s ten years older than I am) and it also was having an effect on campaigns I was working on. Also during that time I found out that, research seemed to be indicating, political leanings and other social attitudes were different between early boomers (1946-57) and later boomers (1958-63). One guess was that the end of the draft, among other factors, was a cause. If you’d like to pay me for that kind of research I can spend a few hours digging it back up. 

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Yes, with the coming of the Tea Party back in 2010, there were a lot of articles on what then seemed confusing - older boomers becoming among the most active in the TP wave. I paid a good bit of attention to it since I was encountering it with my brother (who’s ten years older than I am) and it also was having an effect on campaigns I was working on. Also during that time I found out that, research seemed to be indicating, political leanings and other social attitudes were different between early boomers (1946-57) and later boomers (1958-63). One guess was that the end of the draft, among other factors, was a cause. If you’d like to pay me for that kind of research I can spend a few hours digging it back up. 

Pay you?????  :shok: :rofl:

What I was asking for a source on, was your statement ".... being against the war, was all about them more than any deep philosophy."

Where is there empirical data on that?

Who has data on how genuine a group of people's personal feelings were about the Vietnam war in the 1960's? 

How would anyone determine that? Telephone polling? Focus groups?

And who would even admit such a thing?

"Yeah man, we protested the war and marched for peace man, but we didn't really mean it. We were just a bunch of phonies."

And the part about "Most were far from progressive on civil rights and refused to take responsibility for much of anything."

What kind of data do you have for that?

Who in the 1960's wasn't 2020's level of SJW enough to pass muster and how so?

What didn't they do enough of? 

Just curious. 

Really good news in CD 11 - Incumbent Daniel Webster has been called the winner over MAGA wackadoodle Laura Loomer. Dan’s politics have gotten way too far to the right in DC, but at least he’s sane. Send Loony Loomer back to Mar-A-Lago, please.

I’m also pleased to see perennial GOP gadfly Randy Ross come in last in FL House District 39. He’s another one to crawl back under his rock.

Edited by spenser1058

A disappointment in the Democratic AG primary: it appears Aramis Ayala will best Daniel “The Grim Reaper” Uhlfelder. Daniel would be fearless in representing the people both legally and on consumer issues. Ayala’s never impressed me but anyone would be better than DeSatan toadie Ashley Moody.

It appears Cory Mills has defeated Anthony Sabatini in CD7 for the GOP. Mills is MAGA but Sabatini is just slime. This is now a red district so Mills is the likely winner in November but it could have been worse.

Edited by spenser1058

Not only did OC Mayor Jerry Demings avoid a runoff by winning almost 60% of the votes yesterday, the fact he got a commanding win while supporting the transportation tax suggests OC voters may be open to it as well:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/2022-election/os-ne-politics-2022-election-primary-orange-commission-20220824-exx6fvm3dvapthkcblwg6vzgkm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Have you ever wondered why we can elect younger folks like Maxwell Frost to Congress, as well as send them to Tally (Carlos G. Smith, Anna Eskamani, even DeSatan is relatively young), but the Orlando City Council continues to be God’s Waiting Room? We now know where the next cohort of St. Pete’s “Grumpy Old Men” went.