LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

The Washington Post weighs in on MAF:

Who is Maxwell Frost, the Gen Z Democratic nominee in Florida?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/08/24/florida-elections-genz-maxwell-frost/

Orlando is electing up and comers who think outside the box for the legislature and now Congress. Meanwhile, the City Council is a Geritol Lawrence Welk reunion -why is that?

Robert Stuart’s older brother George was elected to City Council at 26. Meanwhile, Robert has spent 16 years in Buddy’s amen corner. He retired from his day job at CSC but is still an unheard voice collecting a check from the taxpayers. Why is that?

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! Maxwell Frost is pulling away from #2 Randolph Bracy. Let’s hope this keeps going…Alan Grayson and Corinne Brown can crawl back under their rocks now..

I am not bashing him but winning 34% in a primary when he is almost guaranteed to win the general is why Americans are so frustrated and why so much trash gets sent to Washington. Its one of the reasons we got trump. Every day the goes by I am a bigger and bigger fan of ranked choice voting. At least give us open primaries. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jack said:

I am not bashing him but winning 34% in a primary when he is almost guaranteed to win the general is why Americans are so frustrated and why so much trash gets sent to Washington. Its one of the reasons we got trump. Every day the goes by I am a bigger and bigger fan of ranked choice voting. At least give us open primaries. 

No argument from me on ranked choice voting, but MAF did what you had to do to win today. 

I used to believe in closed primaries because it seemed to me the parties had a right to determine who they wanted to run in the general. It certainly beat a bunch of white guys in a smoke-filled room making the choices (and in those days it was all white men).

Unfortunately, the politicians got too cowardly and let a few activists control everything. Democracy is slowly dying because of it, so let’s do something else.

At the same time, I also blame the NPAs who could make a huge difference in the process if they,  you know, actually committed to improving the parties instead of just taking potshots from the outside. As TR said, you have to be in the arena.

Charlie’s first ad for the general election:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/551379-we-deserve-better-charlie-crists-first-ad-draws-contrast-to-divisive-ron-desantis/

From Florida Politics (scroll down to view the ad) 

For those who believe  “happy warrior” Charlie isn’t willing to fight, I think they’re going to be surprised. The thing about Charlie is that no matter which side of the aisle, his policies have reflected the Golden Era of Florida politics, when the moderates were improving almost everything about the state. Coming from a well-respected St. Pete family, he gets it.

In his previous stint as governor, it’s been said he campaigned like Jeb! but governed like Lawton Chiles. The difference today is he’s campaigning like Obama and can govern in the best tradition of Askew, Graham and Chiles.

He reflects Florida values in a way DeSatan never will.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin on Charlie:

Don’t underestimate Charlie Crist. He’s going for DeSantis’s jugular.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/24/charlie-crist-derail-desantis-president/

She compares it to 1994 when Lawton Chiles derailed Jeb!’s first campaign for governor (“the old he’ coon walks just before the light of day” as Lawton put it) The Bushes always assumed Jeb! was the “smart”one and that he was the one to be the family’s next president. The reason that didn’t happen had a lot to do with Lawton believing he could fight what was then the Bush juggernaut. Sadly, Buddy MacKay didn’t have that same “killer instinct” and you know the rest. It did lead to Dubya  ending up in the White House instead of Jeb! It also led to years of often horrific governance in Florida. Let’s stop that NOW.

Edited by spenser1058

Hope springs eternal in the district 3 school board race with a run off in November for Alicia Farrant of the Moms for Liberty and Dr. Michael Daniels. A lot of my neighbors have her signs in their yards  so I see them a lot every day when I walk. One day I had to do a double take when I realized she misspelled school as schoold on the bottom of the sign in the small print that tells you paid for by alicia farrant for schoold board. :tw_open_mouth: ugh...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

No argument from me on ranked choice voting, but MAF did what you had to do to win today. 

I used to believe in closed primaries because it seemed to me the parties had a right to determine who they wanted to run in the general. It certainly beat a bunch of white guys in a smoke-filled room making the choices (and in those days it was all white men).

Unfortunately, the politicians got too cowardly and let a few activists control everything. Democracy is slowly dying because of it, so let’s do something else.

At the same time, I also blame the NPAs who could make a huge difference in the process if they,  you know, actually committed to improving the parties instead of just taking potshots from the outside. As TR said, you have to be in the arena.

Parties will never take their rightful power back. That ship has sailed. Let's get open primaries or ranked choice voting. I'm desperate at this point. 

I am with you on the NPA's. Pick a party and try to support the most reasonable candidate. 

• Like 2

It seems DeSatan doesn’t want you to have ranked choice voting, @jack:

“…Earlier this year, Gov. Ron DeSantis ended any doubt when he signed a law that banned ranked choice voting.”

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2022/08/25/florida-voters-should-vote-for-ranked-choice-voting-editorial/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

Vote For Charlie!

The Lincoln Project is up with another of their pithy ads - this time taking aim at DeSatan. They call him “the Poser”

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/551962-top-gun-lp/

From Florida Politics (scroll down)

Given he’s also being compared to Mike Dukakis in his tank, you do wonder who came up with this.

Charlie chooses Karla Hernandez-Mats from Miami as his running mate:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/551852-karla-hernandez-mats-five-things-to-know-about-charlie-crists-pick-for-lieutenant-governor/

From Florida Politics 

She’s from Miami (a weak spot for Charlie). She’s Hispanic (plus leader of the teachers’ union in Dade). She went to local public schools and FIU. Her parents are from Honduras.

It appears to be a good pick which will allow her to work on South Florida (the real one, not the home of Duh Cows), while Charlie plies his strengths across the I-4 corridor and further north.

Edited by spenser1058

In Florida Politics’ wrap up of the Losers and Winners of the primary season, look whose name popped up in the Loser column:

“Buddy Dyer — You’d think someone who has been in elected office — nearly 20 of them as Orlando Mayor — would have a little pull in a Democratic Primary for Congress on his home turf. Nope. He endorsed Terence Gray for CD 10 and we’re not sure that anyone in the Orlando-area district knew it because Gray’s campaign pulled about as many votes as a blank line on the ballot. Yeesh.”

That may have to do with the fact local Dems have long known Buddy was a DINO, deep in the pockets of the development community and the right-wing DeVos clan…

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/552134-winners-and-losers-emerging-from-floridas-primary-elections-2/

Nevertheless, Peter Schorsch and his site have long kowtowed to those on the winning side, so the fact Buddy gets noted in the loser column is telling. The fact King Buddy seems to have no clothes appears to be spreading statewide at long last.

Edited by spenser1058

Charlie’s tired of DeSourface and his cronies hating on Tinseltown. He wants to be in pictures and, if he’s elected, Florida will go Hollywood again!

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/553515-charlie-crist-teases-film-and-tv-incentive-plan/

From Florida Politics 

https://www.google.com/search?q=hooray+for+hollywood+you+tube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:db6f2b06,vid:_fIVoh8KGDI,st:0

Edited by spenser1058

Recently, DeShameless attempted to capitalize on his US Navy (lawyer) background by POSING as a "Top Gun" pilot in an ad he dubbed "Top Gov".

Unfortunately for DeShameless, an actual former USN Top Gun fighter pilot saw the ad and took exception to it, prompting him to make the following video which he posted on Twitter.

:rofl:

Let's just call him Gub'ner Ron DeLaughingstock from now on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, orange87 said:

This is something I've advocated for for years.

'It's inhumane': Families, advocates demand air conditioning in Florida state prisons

Article: https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-state-prisons-air-conditioning/40697113#

The question is, who is going to pay for it?

Maybe they can do other things to alleviate the heat a bit, that wouldn't cost so much.

Heat reflective materials on the roofs of the buildings.

More fans inside the inmate areas. 

Meanwhile, while DeSatan is declaring war on Florida and home rule, he’s decided after removing four Broward school board members from office without si much as a hearing and with no charges against them based on a grand jury about school safety rules (who empaneled this grand jury and where? also, remember the old saying that a grand jury can be directed to indict a “ham sandwich” with little difficulty).

Anyway, as it turns out he’s not done. Now he’s going after Dade, Palm Beach, Duval and, so we don’t feel left out, Orange. Did you know every county he’s going after is Democratic?

Teehee - apparently, as he cranks up his bulldozer, his staff neglected to tell him the chair of OCPS the past twelve years has been… a Republican! Given that Teresa Jacobs is one of the most decent politicians I’ve ever met, this is awful. Nevertheless, she can give as good as she gets when required…

Stay tuned.

The Democratic candidate in FL Senate District 10 is tired of the “ghost candidate “ shenanigans and thinks Jason Brodeur needs to go:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/553582-joy-goff-marcil-demands-jason-brodeur-drop-out-resign-after-joel-greenberg-testimony/

From Florida Politics 

She’s right, of course, but moral scruples are in short supply these days on that side of the aisle.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

The question is, who is going to pay for it?

Maybe they can do other things to alleviate the heat a bit, that wouldn't cost so much.

Heat reflective materials on the roofs of the buildings.

More fans inside the inmate areas. 

I'm sure the State of Florida could afford to pay for it if it really wanted to. They don't need to keep the AC at 70. Even if they kept it at 78-80 that would at least keep the temperatures from becoming life threateningly high for both the inmates and officers. I remember reading somewhere that there's a direct link between inmate violence and the heat. Having AC would also reduce the high turnover rate of prison staff.

Edited by orange87

19 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I'm sure the State of Florida could afford to pay for it if it really wanted to. They don't need to keep the AC at 70. Even if they kept it at 78-80 that would at least keep the temperatures from becoming life threateningly high for both the inmates and officers. I remember reading somewhere that there's a direct link between inmate violence and the heat. Having AC would also reduce the high turnover rate of prison staff.

Remember, Jimmy Carter told us to keep the a/c at 78.

One of the reasons law enforcement folks living in the 21st century have long recognized the need for a/c (btw, isn’t it interesting OC has no problem providing a/c at the county jail but the state can’t afford it?) is that overheated prisoners are much more likely to cause problems and indeed to riot if it gets too bad. It also causes more health problems which the state is responsible for. That costs the state more in the long run.

You also have to remember that the correctional officers are working in those same conditions. Is it any wonder FDOC has a perpetual shortage of guards?

We call that penny wise and pound foolish.

Edited by spenser1058

38 minutes ago, orange87 said:

There might be logistical problems insofar as the installation of ducts and air circulation is concerned.

They'd have to get the cooled air into the individual cells, which I think are no longer the kind of cage with steel bars across the front style that we've all seen on TV and in the movies. From what I've seen, modern cells are completely enclosed behind solid doors with thick reinforced glass windows which do not allow a lot of air to freely circulate from outside the cells into them. Possibly some vents in the door or above it, but likely not much else.

Installation of ducts and vents would therefore require removing all the inmates from an entire cellblock or wing, and housing them somewhere else for however long the installation takes, which could create security problems. And that's if it's even possible to do within the structural features of a  given building or wing that might not have been designed with air ductwork in mind. IOW, there might not be space for air ducts in some buildings 

OTOH, there could possibly already be a system of air ducts in place for non-cooled, fan-forced air in the summer and heat in the winter.

If that's the case, then it would only be a matter of installing air handlers and compressors or chillers. 

The Washington Post takes a look at the man who’ll likely be representing Orlando’s CD10 early next year:

Maxwell Frost is figuring out how to be Gen Z’s likely first congressman
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/09/03/maxwell-frost-congress-generation/

DeSatan’s hiding from Charlie - is he askeered?

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/553732-charlie-crist-slams-ron-desantis-for-declining-invite-to-before-you-vote-debate/

From Florida Politics 

Edited by spenser1058

Peter Schorsch, who runs Florida Politics, gave a great talk about what the MSM is missing when it comes to just how “red “ the state has become:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/554921-these-seats-are-winnable-peter-schorsch-talks-tampa-bay-midterms-voter-turnout/

I believe he’s spot on and it’s why the two headline races are within the margin of error.