• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

So that's the big three all gone now.

Devos

VanAndel

Meijer

What a difference all three have been. Selflessly devoted to this city to the end. And their children carry that on.

We are truly fortunate.

We will be fortunate if they carry on that legacy of selfless giving. I would be surprised if we didn't see a drop-off though. GVSU will definitely feel the effects of Richard's passing, as he was one of its biggest supporters since it opened its doors.

46 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

We will be fortunate if they carry on that legacy of selfless giving. I would be surprised if we didn't see a drop-off though. GVSU will definitely feel the effects of Richard's passing, as he was one of its biggest supporters since it opened its doors.

I expect Dick and Betsy to stay fully engaged in continued philanthropic efforts.  Dick DeVos has been more engaged (as has his children) than the elder over the last 10-15 years.  Both the Meijers and Van Andels have been much less visibly involved since the passing of the patriarchs, though I don't believe they've stopped involvement completely.   

The leadership and commitment of the DeVos family has been transformative  to the region as a whole.  It would take away an advantage Grand Rapids holds over it's peers if this disappeared.  Though with the infrastructure put in place it may continue the momentum without them. 

Archived