Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

49 minutes ago, codypet said:

I'm going to be honest.  As it relates to pond geometry and requirements from the WMD, I don't know how you make that pond any smaller.   Personally I would have gone with exfiltration trenches but like I said earlier, its likely the groundwater is too high for that.

Absolutely.

• 1 month later...

The infamous cracked pier on I-4 is about to open to traffic without any repairs. Supposedly the FDOT officials thoroughly tested it and do not see any potential for failure, but described it as a "maintenance issue".  Kinda scary. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/i-4-makeover/os-ne-i4-cracked-bridge-pier-opens-20181231-story.html

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

The infamous cracked pier on I-4 is about to open to traffic without any repairs. Supposedly the FDOT officials thoroughly tested it and do not see any potential for failure, but described it as a "maintenance issue".  Kinda scary. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/i-4-makeover/os-ne-i4-cracked-bridge-pier-opens-20181231-story.html

Oh my.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Well, I've ridden over the cracked pier a couple of times already and that ramp is so choice.  Such a great alternative to Magnolia to Ivanhoe.  Here, the bridge flies over SR 50, which is awesome.

I’m reminded of after the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge was rammed by a barge and collapsed.

At the time, I was living in Jacksonville for a bit and had to cross the Matthews Bridge every day (one of the city’s tallest). 

For months thereafter, you’d see drivers looking toward the river for any signs of a huge ship nearby as they crossed.

I guess I’ll just have to say a few Hail Marys now when I’m using that part of I4...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what a huge construction zone I-4 is.  I went down to Naples down 75 and avoided Orlando and now coming back through I was amazed.  Can someone explain to me what is going and how many lanes this will be?  Looks like some sort of express lanes or something maybe toll lanes?  Photos from today and I would not want to drive through this zone on a rainy day for sure.  again lots of photos warning. Going eastbound from Sand Lake Rd exit through the city. 

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8937.JPG

IMG_8938.JPG

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8940.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8947.JPG

• Like 3

Ivanhoe Lake ?

20190130_154803_HDR.jpg

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Thanks for the information on I-4.  We are doing something very similar in Charlotte on I-77 adding 2 toll express lanes in the middle of a 4-6 lane highway existing. 

https://www.i77express.com/    I thought our construction zone was a mess but this one was like a slalom course with twists and turns.  

And I still drive I4 like a champ haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

Difference in project scale.  Charlotte is $650 mil, I-4  is $2.1  Billion.   Charlotte is a few miles longer.

Yes your project is much more intensive rebuilding almost every bridge that is not happening in Charlotte just some new bridges and new  flyovers.   But both projects are similar in the fact tolled express lanes to given drivers a choice of free or tolled lanes.  We have just 2 open toll roads in the entire state but this one and at least 3 more like this one are planned in Charlotte.  Check out our videos on the NC DOT website.   https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-77-express-lanes/Pages/photos-videos.aspx

• Like 2

Detailed info on the planned Terry Ave Corridor connectivity and re-alignment from other thread. Not too many people knew this was in the Long Term plan because the original plans for I-4 Ultimate and CV connection changed over time as things happened like the soccer stadium getting built to cut off Parramore Ave, plans around Griffin Park connectivity changed, and the CV master plan was updated as buildings and parcels were designed. 

Details of this were not in the original Ultimate I-4 plan. It was slated to have retention ponds there at end of Terry instead of connecting to I-4. Somebody knew what they were doing and advised them to change the plans for better connectivity. I appreciate whoever/whatever team that was. Here is the revised I-4 ultimate plan for that area clearly showing Terry re-alignment and direct connection to I-4 WB ramp:

945260572_TerryConnectorI-4Ultimate.png.ddcb9737d2fb78893fcff3381ec624a7.png

Full sheet here from I-4 ultimate Planset: https://i4ultimate.com/wp-content/plugins/filedownload/download.php/?path=https://i4ultimate.com/documents/2015/08/Package_1_Roadway_Plan-Profiles_rasterized_reduced_09.pdf&type=application/pdf&check=&referer=/project-info/roadway-plans/

This is included in the Ultimate Project Scope of work now, and will be completed along with the 408 interchange portion of the project, however, connectivity to Terry at Anderson intersection and re-alignment between Anderson and South Streets is not in the Ultimate scope of work and would need to be funded and completed by the city or county eventually as another project. 

The overall connection of Terry Ave as new North/South main thoroughfare was highlighted in the updated Comprehensive Parramore Neighborhood Plan after the soccer stadium was built and the Creative Village Master Plan was further developed. There are many other interesting things in this plan/report that are worth reading in addition to this Terry Ave project. Some include potential OBX station at Creative Village and TOD for Amelia/OBX route area, Magic Entertainment Complex and additional Sports District with a planned "Parramore Square" green space in the middle at Church and Terry intersection, and a Historic/Cultural district around old Parramore Ave south of the stadium and area around Wellsbuilt Hotel.

Here is a link to the master plan and some graphics showing overall connection and emphasis for redevelopment throughout the area: http://www.cityoforlando.net/greenworks/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/01/PCNP-FinalDocument.pdf 

PCNP-FinalDocument_Page_1.thumb.png.444dd877cd085561842cfb1737671a40.png     PCNP-FinalDocument_Page_2.thumb.png.dec3a75091afdcdb04307ca07cc7749a.png

There still are some connectivity issues to get around, including Grade Crossing of the RR Tracks at UCF commons area (supposedly obligation of UCF to improve connection there according to CV Infrastructure Master Plan  http://www.cityoforlando.net/economic/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2018/09/Creative-Village-IMP-Final-to-CVDRC-6-12-18.pdf) as well as connectivity at Colonial to Edgewater. There are buildings in the way right now, but eventually, the overall plan is to connect Edgewater to Terry here. May be a long time out on the planning, purchase of ROW, design and construction on that one.  I still think they plan to make it intersection at Colonial eventually to provide an overall thoroughfare all the way through and a major Entrance into the Creative Village and Parramore. Will be quite an interesting redevelopment when the whole thing is done. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 2

Well, they needed to align it that way because of Griffin Park and the ROW for the existing interchange that they will be re-using for the new Terry Ave Connection. There's plenty of open space in the area for redevelopment.

Here's what's there right now:

Terry South Connector Aerial.png

Terry South Connector 1.png

Terry South Connector 2.png

Edited by dcluley98

I agree with you on the bridge, Gibby. That is exactly why Avondale is aligned like that. Also, they are planning retention there where the old ramps used to be.  But what they gain south of there on the west side of Avondale, reconnecting Griffin Park to Parramore to the west more than outweighs what the might lose for development north of 408.  They will get about double that back for redevelopment in between Parramore and Griffin Park. (and better overall connections throughout, IMO). This doesn't show the connection from Avondale to Terry Ave, because it isn't in I-4 Ultimate scope, but it will be going through those two blocks of vacant lots and abandoned home shown above. 

Here is a supersized plan stitched together to show the whole thing from the Michigan Curve to Concord:

I-4 Michigan to Concord.jpg

Plan also shows dry retention on the east side of the I-4 / 4008 interchange that somebody asked about previously, as well as the Under-I area which can be seen by the large yellow section of elevated bridge/overpass in the middle between Church and Robinson. Pretty amazing scale and planning of everything required for these things!

Edited by dcluley98

I agree that the connection to Parramore will be great.  This will connect Carter from Tampa all the way to Division.  I just think the curves on Terry will be pretty extreme and will also involve basically getting rid of that entire block between South and Anderson where the road needs to do another curve to connect to Terry on the north side.  With a re-built bridge, they could have removed most of the curves and saved that block.

terry.jpg

There are three occupied houses in the red line you drew on the right for Terry.  Alignment is better, but displacing residents is not ideal, which is another reason for the current configuration, (other than the cost of moving the underpass bridge and further disturbing 408). 

Terry.png

Edited by dcluley98