Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Public hearing coming for proposed redesign of Princeton St. and NOBT in the Packing District:

https://bungalower.com/2020/02/19/public-meeting-alert-redesign-proposed-for-princeton-street-and-orange-blossom-trail/

From Bungalower 

I hope they leave room for the expansion of Sunrail.

• Like 2

A new bridge on FL19 has opened connectingHowey In the Hills and Tavares. It replaces a narrow bridge completed in 1951.

The span is popular with cyclists and the old bridge provided little room for vehicles to pass large groups on bicycles.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-ne-howey-bridge-opens-one-way-20200225-s6bmdse63fdnpgd4ce6u65u3qi-story.html

From the Sentinel 

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I often bump around this part of town on a little 150cc scooter which, while legal to take onto I4, doesn't belong there.  I always get anxiety going into this situation fearing I won't be able to continue onto Ivanhoe.

• Like 2

As this “Ask Orlando “ column in the Sentinel points out, there’s no evidence that I4 Ultimate’s unnecessary complexity was in service of efficiently moving traffic instead of providing a pork barrel of goodies for legislators, road builders and financiers:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/ask-orlando/os-op-ask-orlando-i-4-cost-david-whitley-20200302-gjrat3relnfzflsvachamrlvmi-story.html

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As this “Ask Orlando “ column in the Sentinel points out, there’s no evidence that I4 Ultimate’s unnecessary complexity was in service of efficiently moving traffic instead of providing a pork barrel of goodies for legislators, road builders and financiers:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/ask-orlando/os-op-ask-orlando-i-4-cost-david-whitley-20200302-gjrat3relnfzflsvachamrlvmi-story.html

I have 0 idea what this article is trying to point out.

Moreover, what part of Ultimate is "unnecessary"?  Rebuilding all the exit ramps and adding 4 lanes while maintaining 6 lanes of traffic?  Not easy.

• Like 2

More like self-inflicted Darwin award. 

I-4 ultimate was needed, IMO.  I think the improved ramps for safety, VTL and future proofing for closed automated transit, intelligent traffic system and monitoring with  real-time digital displays, Under-I, etc. were all things worth pursuing to improve our traffic in Orlando and our quality of life.   The execution of the project and the P3 structure was ill-advised, but that doesn't mean the project itself was a bad idea.

Would I like to see better and more connected mass transit? Of course!  Would I like to see HSR connected to Downtown? You bet.  Would I like to see more amenities for bicycles and pedestrians? We are and every bit helps. 

However, this isn't a Zero-sum game here. I-4 Ultimate is going to help Orlando in the long run. 

• Like 3

Within this OS article about I4 Ultimate, completion dates and future closures is a discussion regarding the 408/ Orange Ave redo. That exit was supposed to close last summer (didn't), but they are now saying that will happen within a few weeks. Of course the next exit east of there is Mills and this is how the article describes the loop detour coming to Mills at 408.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-i4-work-closing-orange-exit-20200313-ntsyncyirbf4dm7egupr2wtszi-story.html

"They will head west along South Street, south on Summerlin Avenue and east on Anderson Street to get back to Mills. DOT did not respond to the Orlando Sentinel when asked for projections for how long that nearly mile-long loop will take drivers during rush hour."

That sounds ugly and it made me wonder, when is the plan to shut down a large portion of Summerlin for sewer repair? 

If I understand this configuration- if traveling east on 408 and you want to travel north on Mills, you would still be forced to do the "loop" in order to get our of the barricade lane and circle back to the corner of Anderson and Mills. At which time you can turn left on Mills... weird.

13 hours ago, AmIReal said:

If I understand this configuration- if traveling east on 408 and you want to travel north on Mills, you would still be forced to do the "loop" in order to get our of the barricade lane and circle back to the corner of Anderson and Mills. At which time you can turn left on Mills... weird.

At which point if you're trying to go north on Mills you're better up driving up Thornton Ln and popping southbound on Mills and using that loop on the south side of Lake Lawsona.

image.png.b5131e395f2bd22357ff9a95e40168ee.png

2 hours ago, codypet said:

At which point if you're trying to go north on Mills you're better up driving up Thornton Ln and popping southbound on Mills and using that loop on the south side of Lake Lawsona.

image.png.b5131e395f2bd22357ff9a95e40168ee.png

Yes, good point. I guess it depends on when they let you out of the loop. I suppose your idea would also allow you to circle back south on Mills, since I suspect Anderson is going to be a traffic nightmare at rush hour.

If you can't get out of the loop sooner I guess you could go all the way to Summerlin and over to Central then either direction on Mills.

Edited by AmIReal
looked at compass

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Yes, good point. I guess it depends on when they let you out of the loop. I suppose your idea would also allow you to circle back south on Mills, since I suspect Anderson is going to be a traffic nightmare at rush hour.

If you can't get out of the loop sooner I guess you could go all the way to Summerlin and over to Central then either direction on Mills.

I suspect they'll have to let you out of the loop pretty quickly once you get onto South Street because of all those driveways on the south side of the road

Edited by codypet

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Due to reduced traffic caused by the COVID-19 shutdown, FDOT is accelerating road projects across the state.

This includes FL 482 (Sand Lake Rd) near I-Drive and Universal Blvd.:

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/coronavirus-orlando-3

From The Daily City

Yep whatever is workplanned is getting extended lane closures to wrap up the projects early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1