Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

IMG_20200509_101511.jpg

IMG_20200509_101455.jpg

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Thanks for these, Florida Born. I haven’t been on I4 west of downtown since lockdown started and was curious how it’s going.

it was very difficult to get the shot I want of this project at this particular location. The new bridges are higher than some of our buildings and parking garages so it's difficult to get the angle I can see with my eyes.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, codypet said:

SR 408 / I-4 Interchange has striping on the ramps.......Hopefully it'll be partially open soon.

Also noticed new striping on the permanent section of WB I-4 between South Street and past the current 408 exit. The Amelia St on-ramp is also paved but not striped. Very curious to see how all of this will be staged.

EDIT: Found this on the depths of the I-4 website saying ramps will open this month. Link

Edited by Jerry95
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

I thought in the agreement of this construction that there was a mandate to always have at minimum 3 lanes open. How can they go to 1 or close the entire thing? Is it because they think nobody is using it? 

This is my understanding - that it is a special provision due to COVID-decreased traffic 

Scott Maxwell notes the big I-4 closure (now delayed until tomorrow night) is a little like scheduling your summer vacation but not actually taking it until school starts:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-interstate-4-closure-eatonville-fraud-scott-maxwell-20200513-hu3jswlkhjhs3k3cjlamrwszyq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

It also turns out fire protection is likely inadequate for portions of the much-delayed roadway, according to Seminole County firefighters:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-i4ultimate-lacks-hydrants-20200513-5vo72a3ndzcxvfnxgl3gig6cdq-story.html

This, my friends, is how Tallahassee runs government “like a business”. Apparently, the business model must have been Enron...

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It also turns out fire protection is likely inadequate for portions of the much-delayed roadway, according to Seminole County firefighters:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-i4ultimate-lacks-hydrants-20200513-5vo72a3ndzcxvfnxgl3gig6cdq-story.html

This, my friends, is how Tallahassee runs government “like a business”. Apparently, the business model must have been Enron...

Errm, there is no indication that I-4 is not built to standards and no sort of scandal. As stated in the article, Seminole County fire department reviewed the plans while it was in development without raising objection. This is just an example of sensational journalism... a firefighter said he believes its inadequate, brought up his concern, little has been done to validate it at this point. They setup a meeting to discuss it. TBH, I've never heard a fire fighter say all of the equipment they have is adequate, they don't need more infrastructure. Asking for everything gives something to blame if anything were to ever go wrong, on top of people liking shiny new stuff. Most vehicle fires are fought with the onboard water tanks, as they typically need to shut everything down to access one....  And they need to be able to handle that as many, many areas do not have hydrants or water mains at all.

Anyways, its clearly a case of the government being run "like a government" for better or worse, no signs of it being anything like a business.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:07 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott Maxwell notes the big I-4 closure (now delayed until tomorrow night) is a little like scheduling your summer vacation but not actually taking it until school starts:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-interstate-4-closure-eatonville-fraud-scott-maxwell-20200513-hu3jswlkhjhs3k3cjlamrwszyq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

How are they putting out vehicle fires today?  I don't think the new highway would be any different.   Is the the fire dept cutting holes in the R/W fence right now?

Drove the single lane section of WB I-4 today, traffic slow but it moves steadily. Seems like most people were merging safely, which kept things moving. The new WB/EB I-4 to WB 408 ramps are open, the new EB ramps should be up by Monday. 

Also looks like Amelia to WB I-4 opens up Monday as well, which I’m actually excited for. All in all looks like a great amount of progress for a small bit of pain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the fire safety point, the Seminole County Chief has stated that it was safe according to the standards as he knew them then, but the standards for roads with separate and decreased access inner lanes is currently evolving.  The concern is that it is both much more difficult to reach a location in the express lanes due to their limited access design.  Also, the fire hydrants are placed outside of the whole roadway like a normal road, but the new standards recommend including separate additional access points for the inner roadway.  This way the whole road will not need to be closed if there is a fire on the inner roadway.

I also thought I read somewhere that the distance from the outer roadway to the inner in some locations means that the hoses will not be as 'flexible' when it comes to their placement, which is certain situations can cause problems with access the ideal location for fighting a fire.  Don't quote me on this last bit tho.

Simply put, roads like this are relatively new, and the worry is that the road will be built to the standards of when it was designed and not of when it is finished.  The difference in these standards is higher than normal due to the newness of the inner road / outer road concept for limited access highways.

I think its a legitimate concern,  and it doesn't seem like something that would increase the cost significantly.

Edited by WAJAS98

OK Monday if you’re taking I-4 West to FL 408 East, the ramp apparently ain’t gonna be ready.

Sooooo... plan to exit at Ivanhoe and head south on Orange and then east on Anderson;

OR.... I-4 West to Anderson St and then east to the 408 on-ramps (this is probably going to be a traffic nightmare);

OR... I-4 West to FL408 West to US441 South and then turn around (sounds like extra tolls.

No word on I-4 East to FL408 East ramps so far.

As the Enco tiger would say... Happy Motoring!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-i4-alternate-routes-20200517-clbczyviqfcubeucvirsfit5ny-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

On the fire safety point, the Seminole County Chief has stated that it was safe according to the standards as he knew them then, but the standards for roads with separate and decreased access inner lanes is currently evolving.  The concern is that it is both much more difficult to reach a location in the express lanes due to their limited access design.  Also, the fire hydrants are placed outside of the whole roadway like a normal road, but the new standards recommend including separate additional access points for the inner roadway.  This way the whole road will not need to be closed if there is a fire on the inner roadway.

I also thought I read somewhere that the distance from the outer roadway to the inner in some locations means that the hoses will not be as 'flexible' when it comes to their placement, which is certain situations can cause problems with access the ideal location for fighting a fire.  Don't quote me on this last bit tho.

Simply put, roads like this are relatively new, and the worry is that the road will be built to the standards of when it was designed and not of when it is finished.  The difference in these standards is higher than normal due to the newness of the inner road / outer road concept for limited access highways.

I think its a legitimate concern,  and it doesn't seem like something that would increase the cost significantly.

I'd also say realistically, if the fire can't be extinguished using the sources that are onboard the fire truck, there's a good chance there's going to be enough smoke and flames and concern about an explosion of the fuel tank that they're going to close both roads while they're fighting the fire anyways