Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

On 7/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, dcluley98 said:

I've taken the new 408 ramp both ways. I thought it was cool with the gradual transition and the elevation. 

However, the different color of the concrete is jarring.  Also, the merge lanes are less than ideal. There is a whole lot of bridge there and they are forcing you down into one lane  before the bridge ends and it is not intuitive at all and people do not know how to react. 

@CodyPet may be able to comment on this. 

It is my understanding that they design capacity  in concert with decision-making and engineer systems to limit human behaviour and mistakes. 

Kind of like a funnel for good behaviour/habits. 

Having driven the I-4 east to 408 east ramp, I do not think it is at it's designed function yet.  

You are correct.  Everything is still in MOT (maintenance of traffic) configuration.  Basically the roadway realigned to allow for a work zone.   Right now on 408 once you past Delaney 408 widens to 4 lanes with a 5th one coming up from Anderson.  When I-4 Ultimate is done, 3 thru 408 lanes will join the 2 I-4 ramp lanes, and there will be one lane merging roughly where the old Exit 10C was before Anderson joins up.  That of course means one I-4 ramp lane will have to merge before the merger to 408 proper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

FL 417 Corridor Widening Projects:

“This project will be broken into 5 stages to reduce disruption to motorists” *stares at I-4*

This is one I actually want to see delayed by a year or two - this could be a major multimodal corridor within the next decade and it really would make sense to do all that work at the same time.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Let’s take a ride on the Spessard L. Holland East-West Expressway* westbound for its entire length:

*OK, FL408 for you young whippersnappers 

Is the whole thing named after Holland? I thought part of it was renamed the Arnold Palmer Expressway.

• Like 1

You are correct, sir - good catch!

That’s the portion between Kirkman Rd. and Clarke Rd., which happened in 2017.

The original road name was the Holland East-West, but since the road used to end just past Kirkman (it emptied into FL50 right at the McD’s), I guess there’s not much overlap.

https://www.cfxway.com/agency-information/newsroom/news-releases/state-of-florida-designates-western-sr-408-as-arnold-palmer-expressway/

Btw, on the east end, the original road curved along what is now the FL417 Northbound roadbed ending at FL50 in Union Park (conveniently It was right at the ABC). There were three at-grade crossings along that stretch. The toll for the original 13-mile stretch was 40 cents (more than a few residents accused the OOCEA of highway robbery at that price in 1973).

What’s odd is I have no reason to believe Arnie would have used the E-W all that much. It would have made much more sense to me to rename Apopka-Vineland Rd. for him (especially since Vineland for all practical purposes no longer exists).

I have an aversion to naming roads after people when there’s no particular tie between the person and the road.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

There’s a hill in Orlando?????

The ones that come to mind: in Orlando proper, 1) at Hillcrest Elementary; in OC (2) on Colonial between Powers Dr and Hiawassee Rd (it used to be known as Hilltop); and (3) where the Mormon temple is.

orlando-temple-lds-776399-wallpaper.jpg

Otherwise you have to hop on a bike with @dcluley98 and head next door to Lake County to Sugurloaf, ummmm, Mountain.

Fwiw, the elevation of Orlando is 109’

Edited by spenser1058

Hillcrest is one. There's a small hill around Delaney Park/Lake Cherokee that I ride up sometimes, and some in between Lake Sue and Lake Virginia that I ride on about once a week. One around Boone High School/Summerlin, and a small one around Dickonson Azalea Park/Fern Creek/Central?  Other than that it's mostly overpasses and bridges, LOL. 

Couple in Winter Park/Maitland area around Lake Maitland and Howell Branch. (one on Alabama Drive that goes up from the Kraft Azalea park up past the old Alabama Hotel. A cool little spot). 

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

I don't ride my bike much in the Pine Hills/Gotha/Hiawassee area, but I imagine there are probably quite a few hills around there as it is getting further west out of Orlando toward the Lake Wales Ridge, which is home to many hills including the aforementioned Sugarloaf Mountain. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

If you see a hill in Florida it probably is or was a landfill.

Oh my. The one along I4 between Plant City and Tampa comes to mind.

Then there are the middens at Turtle Mound that came about when the Native Americans stacked all their oyster shells in one spot.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

In a remarkable move (the type of which Osceola has been admonished in the past to move away from), the Osceola County Commission has declared war on the Orange County Charter Review Commission for letting, you know, people be heard over Split Oak.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/361507-osceola-county-to-sue-orange-county-over-split-oak-election

From Florida Politics

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I wish we could've gotten a few more years out of them to make the cost worth it.  LOL

This planned obsolescence drives me crazy. I bet the City was trying to save a nickel per mile of pipe.

On another note... the E bound 408 exit at Delaney is reopening this weekend. Yeah! And they recently reopened the W bound entry off Orange at the OUC building. Question, does anyone know if the cut through from N. Orange/ Rosalind will be reopened to access the 408?