Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

This planned obsolescence drives me crazy. I bet the City was trying to save a nickel per mile of pipe.

On another note... the E bound 408 exit at Delaney is reopening this weekend. Yeah! And they recently reopened the W bound entry off Orange at the OUC building. Question, does anyone know if the cut through from N. Orange/ Rosalind will be reopened to access the 408? 

10C?  The Orange Ave Exit?  That was fast.  The Lucerne cut through is supposed to reopen.  I don't know when, but based on my recent trips along that road, not anytime soon.

11 hours ago, codypet said:

10C?  The Orange Ave Exit?  That was fast.  The Lucerne cut through is supposed to reopen.  I don't know when, but based on my recent trips along that road, not anytime soon.

I'd imagine it'll be renumbered 10B, with I-4 combined as 10A. Shame really, I-4 should've been changed to 10, with Orange Ave EB/South Street WB taking 11A. 

Mainline I-4 has new exit numbers for downtown, which make things a little easier for motorists:

• Exit 81 (Formerly 81A/B/C) - Kaley/Michigan
  • Exit 82 (formerly 82A) - EB/WB to 408
  • Exit 83 (formerly 82B) - EB to South Street, WB to Anderson Street
  • Exit 84A (formerly 83A EB, WB unchanged) - EB to Amelia, WB to Colonial
  • Exit 84B (new EB ramp, WB unchanged) - EB to Colonial, WB to Ivanhoe
Edited by Jerry95

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Are WB 84 A/B switched? I would assume Ivanhoe would be 84A and Colonial would be 84B since traveling westbound that is the order. 

84B should be Ivanhoe and 84A should be Colonial since the numbers go from West to East.

EB that would make 84A EB SR 50/Amelia, and 84B WB SR 50/Garland.

I'm surprised WB SR 408 kept 82.  Considering that exit is before Anderson 83.

How is the Mills Exit 11B going EB and not just 11?!?!?!  There's no 11A going WB.  Bumby is 12A and there's no 12B?!?!

Going WB there's a 12B and not a 12A?  I'm going to talk to someone!!!

Edited by codypet

1 hour ago, codypet said:

84B should be Ivanhoe and 84A should be Colonial since the numbers go from West to East.

EB that would make 84A EB SR 50/Amelia, and 84B WB SR 50/Garland.

I'm surprised WB SR 408 kept 82.  Considering that exit is before Anderson 83.

How is the Mills Exit 11B going EB and not just 11?!?!?!  There's no 11A going WB.  Bumby is 12A and there's no 12B?!?!

Going WB there's a 12B and not a 12A?  I'm going to talk to someone!!!

Glad I’m not the only one that notices these things!

Edited by Jerry95

On 9/10/2020 at 10:14 PM, codypet said:

10C?  The Orange Ave Exit?  That was fast. 

It is open and I decided to try it out today. Btw, it is 10B.

Coming from the west, before you get to the I4 exits, you'll see the first sign indicating Orange Ave/ Downtown veers right. Ignore that sign as it will put you on I4.

After, you pass under the first sign is the second sign, which is correct.

exit10b wrong.jpg

exit10b.jpg

• Like 1

They better cover that sign or they're going to confuse a lot of people.  It almost looks like they have the two signs mixed up.  Next right should be in advance of the exit and the arrow at the exit.

I would not be surprised if CFX just overlays all the signs once this is all done.  

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, codypet said:

They better cover that sign or they're going to confuse a lot of people.  It almost looks like they have the two signs mixed up.  Next right should be in advance of the exit and the arrow at the exit.

I would not be surprised if CFX just overlays all the signs once this is all done.  

They should definitely cover if for now, but I figured out why the mistake was made. At this time, the exit lane for I4 is the outside lane and is the one the sign hangs over. However, you can see they are building new exit lanes for I4 and it looks like the current exit lane will become 10B exit lane. So at that time the sign will be in the right place.

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

They should definitely cover if for now, but I figured out why the mistake was made. At this time, the exit lane for I4 is the outside lane and is the one the sign hangs over. However, you can see they are building new exit lanes for I4 and it looks like the current exit lane will become 10B exit lane. So at that time the sign will be in the right place.

Not a bad guess, although there’s a couple of clues that it’s not the right sign or place: the font is Highway Gothic, not Clearview, which means it’s likely a repurposed old sign. The sign also doesn’t line up with the lamps suspended below, meaning this isn’t likely the final one. 

the second sign has all the characteristics of a new permanent CFX sign 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

Not a bad guess, although there’s a couple of clues that it’s not the right sign or place: the font is Highway Gothic, not Clearview, which means it’s likely a repurposed old sign. The sign also doesn’t line up with the lamps suspended below, meaning this isn’t likely the final one. 

the second sign has all the characteristics of a new permanent CFX sign 

Seriously, some of the folks here are really impressive... nice catch.

11 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

the font is Highway Gothic

does that really exist or are you shining me on...?

The 4th lane throughout the highway for the most part is an aux lane.  What's different now is how many exits occur between when the aux lane starts and ends.  The circa 2008 I-4 had aux lanes that would exist for example between 408 and JYP.  The new I-4 could have that much longer.  Also, there's going to be aux lanes on the left side between where the express lanes exit and enter.

Edited by codypet

11 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Is that 4th lane permanent?  I don't remember it on the drawings.  I thought the only auxiliary lane being added was from Conroy to Turnpike.

yep, it's permanent.  From the original condition it looks like an extra lane across the JYP bridge and an extra lane under the Turnpike. Originally I-4 was supposed to have a connector-distributor between Conroy and Turnpike, but this was removed when the direct connect ramp was added. The signage and pavement markings are a mix of the previous and intended iterations. 

1 hour ago, Jerry95 said:

yep, it's permanent.  From the original condition it looks like an extra lane across the JYP bridge and an extra lane under the Turnpike. Originally I-4 was supposed to have a connector-distributor between Conroy and Turnpike, but this was removed when the direct connect ramp was added. The signage and pavement markings are a mix of the previous and intended iterations. 

I  noticed that!  There's a 1/4 mi sign just east of Millenia, and then like another 1/4 mile sign by the Maserati dealership.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Kirkman Road (FL 435) extension to begin utility work in December but road completion may be delayed to 2025:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/23/documents-reveal-additional-info-on-kirkman-road.html

From OBJ

I really don’t get this project - it just looks so...wide

11 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

I really don’t get this project - it just looks so...wide

The whole point is to provide express access to the new Universal  Epic Universe park and an alternative to I-4 for through traffic.   There may not be traffic there now, but there will be.  Keeping Universal traffic off of the other area roads is a big plus.