Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Have to say, the difference this made on day one was quite remarkable. The movement from WB colonial to Hughey/I-4 WB moves better than it has in months!

Not including express lane work, most of the general use lanes and bridge work through the entire stretch of this project are in their final configuration. The drive is noticeably smoother and easier. Especially much of the sightline issues that were notorious in the past! There is still lighting, landscaping, additional paving left, but it is nice to see this project towards its latter end.

• Like 3

The Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFXA) is currently compiling their 2045 Masterplan. They are accepting comments from the community through March 21st, 2021 at this link: Master Plan | Central Florida Expressway Authority (cfxway.com) (click "Take Survey").

I was sure to state my preference for investment in new technologies. Also, I prefer they optimize the current system before expanding it any more with the exception of some specific projects (408 eastward being the main one). Lastly, I emphasized the need to welcome and (if possible) help fund alternative forms of transportation through their corridors.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WAJAS said:

The Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFXA) is currently compiling their 2045 Masterplan. They are accepting comments from the community through March 21st, 2021 at this link: Master Plan | Central Florida Expressway Authority (cfxway.com) (click "Take Survey").

I was sure to state my preference for investment in new technologies. Also, I prefer they optimize the current system before expanding it any more with the exception of some specific projects (408 eastward being the main one). Lastly, I emphasized the need to welcome and (if possible) help fund alternative forms of transportation through their corridors.

I would agree with this - expansion only causes sprawl and Orlando has enough of that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Coming to Orlando next weekend tell me  that I-4 is completely done please.  Or at least have warm weather.  Usually my January trips to the Sunshine State are marked by record cold once saw people wearing furs in Miami! 

Most of the general use lanes on I4 Ultimate are up and running. Now that the Pro Bowl is leaving, we should have fine weather!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Headed out of Orlando today on The Bee Line  ( I am old school in that name) FL 528 to I-95 and I have a question?  what are they building paralleling to the highway?  Is it a rail line and if so to where?  

That’s Brightline to Cocoa where it picks up existing FECRR tracks south to Miami.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

60mph speed limit likely coming to 12-mile stretch of the East-West Expressway (FL408) through downtown:

Raise speed limit to 60 mph on S.R. 408 through downtown Orlando? It will ease road rage and crashes, authorities say
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-prem-ne-408-55-to-60-proposal-20210208-qjlf4hsk4jgijfbyhfbvutthqy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

About time. I mean, its really still not high enough:  "85 percent of traffic already is clocked at 66 to 78 mph."  I imagine some percentage are going faster (I've seen plenty going 80) and 66 is still 11mph above the speed limit!  At the 55mph limit, like 99% of the traffic was speeding, meaning 99% of the people on the road are breaking the law.  That must mean a bad law. This might bring it down 5%. If 85% of the people are going between 66-78mph, the speed limit should likely be 75mph so most people are not breaking the law.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aent said:

About time. I mean, its really still not high enough:  "85 percent of traffic already is clocked at 66 to 78 mph."  I imagine some percentage are going faster (I've seen plenty going 80) and 66 is still 11mph above the speed limit!  At the 55mph limit, like 99% of the traffic was speeding, meaning 99% of the people on the road are breaking the law.  That must mean a bad law. This might bring it down 5%. If 85% of the people are going between 66-78mph, the speed limit should likely be 75mph so most people are not breaking the law.

Geometric constraints.  Its pulling teeth to get any kind of speeding increase.  Any higher is just not going to happen on 408.  Even the east and west extremes of that road aren't that fast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I've been pro-remove all highway speed limits and simply enforce wreckless driving for years.  The 408 speed limit has always been comical.  It's 6-ish lanes going eastbound out of downtown.  There's minimal reason for it to not be 70.

That's a very logical and reasonable approach.  I'd just assume it's not as profitable?  I don't know why it wouldn't catch on.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I've been pro-remove all highway speed limits and simply enforce wreckless driving for years.  The 408 speed limit has always been comical.  It's 6-ish lanes going eastbound out of downtown.  There's minimal reason for it to not be 70.

The definition of reckless driving is far too arbitrary though.

I’d like to see something like a “speed range” used on highways. All drivers must stay within two speeds, say 50 and 80mph under normal driving conditions on all lanes (excluding on or off ramps, emergency situations, etc.). One mile per hour above or below this range would incur a hefty ticket, and continue to escalate with each mph.