Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

I still hold out hope that one day Orlando will dust off the OSCAR plans and move forward with light rail and streetcar options.

It still bothers me to this day that one vote killed Orlando’s light rail proposal.  We can only wonder just how different the city would have grown if it were 20 years and running (I guess we can look to Charlotte for that).

Where have you gone, Clarence Hoenstine?

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I still hold out hope that one day Orlando will dust off the OSCAR plans and move forward with light rail and streetcar options.

It still bothers me to this day that one vote killed Orlando’s light rail proposal.  We can only wonder just how different the city would have grown if it were 20 years and running (I guess we can look to Charlotte for that).

Doesn't Lymmo cover most of what OSCAR was planned to do? What would be the reason for switching from buses to streetcars?

I don't expect any light rail proposals anytime soon. The problem is that there just isn't enough right-of-way downtown for light rail to be viable, nor any money available to build it. 

Driving back into Orlando from Tampa tonight the VTL rate displays and new ITS Information Displays were on. VTL signs are supposed to still be covered, but the covering has blown off most of them and the toll amounts were lit up.  The ITS info displays are large and have graphics in them. Overall, the signage looks a bit like Vegas coming into town now. It is a bit overwhelming to take everything in right now first time seeing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Almost 75 years since first envisioned, Orlando’s beltway nears completion:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-expressway-authority-long-game-20211222-sfw76ca4prehbn6z7ati2nr2jy-story.html

From The Sentinel    

Several additional projects are still to come.

I'm laughing because $4 million might buy you a bridge today.  Not much more.

• Haha 1

Glad to have you back with us! I-4 Ultimate is pretty much done on the free lanes and the Lexus lanes may even be available by the time you arrive.

So far, 70’s and 80’s for the high but there are a couple of dips in the next ten days or so, who knows? Since there’s no Pro Bowl, the weather may be wonderful <g> but there’s the Hula Bowl to contend with at the Bounce House. It wouldn’t be January if we can’t let the visitors bundle up a little…

• Thanks 2

MetroPlan Orlando Needs Volunteers for Community Advisory and Transportation Disadvantaged Groups
Application forms are online, and the deadline to apply is Jan. 21.

Get the details here: https://metroplanorlando.org/transportation-news/metroplan-orlando-needs-volunteers-for-community-advisory-and-transportation-disadvantaged-groups/

2022-CAC-TDLCB-Recruitment-graphic.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When Florida still cared: decades in the making, the three Wekiva River bridges have been designed and carefully engineered to protect the environment, the river and wildlife:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/environment/os-ne-wekiva-bridge-finished-wonders-20220221-l3zokv4lezhoxb25sv3xgkdtfy-story.htm

From The Sentinel 

Almost everyone agrees it could never happen today and development (which will accelerate with the Parkway’s completion, especially on the Lake County side) along the river may still destroy the spring shed (especially if restrictions are not applied to fertilizer use and septic tanks are allowed). As it is, noise pollution will definitely be an issue.

Today, though, let’s be thankful for a moment in time when Florida gave a damn about preserving itself.

https://www.friendsofwekiva.org/the-river/

Edited by spenser1058

This project seems to be nearing completion but I still notice on top of all the pillars what appears to be wires or some other type of unused connection for what I had always assumed were the decorative lights. Wonder when they are going to start those type of touches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tim3167 said:

This project seems to be nearing completion but I still notice on top of all the pillars what appears to be wires or some other type of unused connection for what I had always assumed were the decorative lights. Wonder when they are going to start those type of touches.

I believe the ones in Maitland have been installed and are operational but many of the others have yet to receive their decorative lighting elements. I hope these aren't budgeted out, I think the visual elements really add something to the communities along the road. The pillars are to feature multiple lighting elements, hopefully they remain well maintained in the coming years as well. 

There seems to be a lot of little things left along the project. I'm expecting at least another few months to clean up everything. I've noticed the site is prepped for the sculpture in downtown, I believe this is the final piece of large artwork planned for the corridor. Beyond the lighting and landscaping, any other big elements yet to be finished on the project? 

It should be noted the Beyond the Ultimate looks to have kept the lighted pillars but with a slightly updated design. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

What are the basics?  Sentinel links are absolutely useless because of their paywall.

"Central Florida Expressway Authority is moving forward with plans to extend S.R. 414 — also known as the John Land Apopka Expressway — by adding nearly 2.8 miles of elevated toll lanes between U.S. 441 and State Road 434"... "The four-lane extension will have cars and trucks zooming along 45 feet above Maitland Boulevard, giving drivers a more direct route from S.R. 429 in Apopka to I-4 in Maitland, officials said. Toll rates have yet to be determined."

Btw- this is unlikely at this time.

You may be able to read it here- https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/expressway-officials-to-extend-s-r-414-adding-new-toll-section/ar-AAVssUh?ocid=msedgntp

or, wesh is not paywalled- https://www.wesh.com/article/sr-414-express/39532664

https://www.cfxway.com/agency-information/plans-studies/project-studies/sr414-direct-connect/

Edited by AmIReal

1 hour ago, aent said:

Orlando Sentinel says the goal is to have it open 2028, is that unaccurate? This will make the route limited access past I-4 since Ultimate removed a bunch of lights as well

The OS article painted it as a done deal, which in time it may be, but this proposal is just the preferred alternative that of CFX. They haven't even held public input sessions yet and, as @codypet has indicated, I believe they will be contentious. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of the larger roundabouts in the region is about to become functional near (DeLightful!) DeLand at the intersection of Orange Camp Rd and Dr MLK Jr Beltway:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2022/04/10/orange-camp-road-intersection-deland-becomes-roundabout-monday/9513364002/

From The News Journal