Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One of the larger roundabouts in the region is about to become functional near (DeLightful!) DeLand at the intersection of Orange Camp Rd and Dr MLK Jr Beltway:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2022/04/10/orange-camp-road-intersection-deland-becomes-roundabout-monday/9513364002/

From The News Journal 

I cannot get over how stupid functionally putting that new light immediately to the east was as part of this project.  You just don't do that.  that should have been another roundabout to the east.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

I-4 Lexus Lane use is “light to moderate” so far:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-interstate-4-toll-lanes-explained-20220411-n454cde24jhodc44brf3kzglle-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Fortunately, as long as use remains at that level, there are no plans to increase the tolls fro$.50/segment.

Isn’t it interesting that the region that’s #50 of 50 in wages is among the heaviest tolled regions in the US? Amazing.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I-4 Lexus Lane use is “light to moderate” so far:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-interstate-4-toll-lanes-explained-20220411-n454cde24jhodc44brf3kzglle-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Fortunately, as long as use remains at that level, there are no plans to increase the tolls fro$.50/segment.

Isn’t it interesting that the region that’s #50 of 50 in wages is among the heaviest tolled regions in the US? Amazing.

I used them once, didn't care for the experience. I had assumed that there were be separate entry/exits throughout, but it seems to just dump you into the fast lane of I4 at certain points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLClarkKent said:

I used them once, didn't care for the experience. I had assumed that there were be separate entry/exits throughout, but it seems to just dump you into the fast lane of I4 at certain points.

yep.  I think the only exceptions thus far are the "Kirkman" exit and the "Central Parkway" exits where it dumps you onto the overpass...pretty cool,,,  otherwise, if you are prone to having HBP, do not go EB and exit right after Lee Rd. and expect to make the Maitland Blvd exit easily.  That was a horrible experience for me...

• Like 1

The asinine way they signed the stupid thing is what's getting me.

image.png.6bd59554e12000a97bff8e818712807d.png

This sign uncovered only says Lee Road / Downtown $0.50 which led me to believe I could get to downtown on the express lanes for $0.50.  Its only after committing to the express lanes that you find out:  Nope, that's $1.00-$1.50 depending how far into downtown you're going.  Unless of course you jump into the general use lanes at Lee.   Why do they have the blank spots underneath?  Those blank ones should be saying 408 and maybe JYP or Turnpike?

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:56 PM, spenser1058 said:

One of the larger roundabouts in the region is about to become functional near (DeLightful!) DeLand at the intersection of Orange Camp Rd and Dr MLK Jr Beltway:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2022/04/10/orange-camp-road-intersection-deland-becomes-roundabout-monday/9513364002/

From The News Journal 

I just drove through it this afternoon.  Seemed chaotic but it worked.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:55 PM, codypet said:

The asinine way they signed the stupid thing is what's getting me.

image.png.6bd59554e12000a97bff8e818712807d.png

This sign uncovered only says Lee Road / Downtown $0.50 which led me to believe I could get to downtown on the express lanes for $0.50.  Its only after committing to the express lanes that you find out:  Nope, that's $1.00-$1.50 depending how far into downtown you're going.  Unless of course you jump into the general use lanes at Lee.   Why do they have the blank spots underneath?  Those blank ones should be saying 408 and maybe JYP or Turnpike?

This confused me as well last week. I think they don’t put the Ivanhoe/408 pricing underneath so that if it raises they don’t have to honor the price you saw up at EE Williamson. One of the downsides of running it like a business instead of a public utility. 

1 hour ago, Jerry95 said:

This confused me as well last week. I think they don’t put the Ivanhoe/408 pricing underneath so that if it raises they don’t have to honor the price you saw up at EE Williamson. One of the downsides of running it like a business instead of a public utility. 

For me, why bother putting the gigantic sign up with blank space if you're not gonna use it for the subsequent exits.

13 hours ago, codypet said:

For me, why bother putting the gigantic sign up with blank space if you're not gonna use it for the subsequent exits.

In Miami, they did it for the future express lanes expansion, so I imagine the reason is similar here, for beyond the ultimate. It doesn't make sense to put the current exits there in the mean time though considering its going to be a while

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aent said:

In Miami, they did it for the future express lanes expansion, so I imagine the reason is similar here, for beyond the ultimate. It doesn't make sense to put the current exits there in the mean time though considering its going to be a while

Yea but that would run counter to the point @Jerry95 makes which is they don't have to honor the price downstream.  

I drove the Boone/ Sylvia connection a few days ago. I don't think it is actually open, but the "closed" sign had been moved. It will make a nice route to get downtown from SoDo (or reverse). I notice they built a parking lot under 408- not sure what the plan for it is?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, AmIReal said:

I drove the Boone/ Sylvia connection a few days ago. I don't think it is actually open, but the "closed" sign had been moved. It will make a nice route to get downtown from SoDo (or reverse). I notice they built a parking lot under 408- not sure what the plan for it is?

on google map, it looks like it just dumps you off down on side streets.  did they make more of a through-way connection away from the intersection, or do we still have to find our way around those streets?

20 hours ago, jrs2 said:

on google map, it looks like it just dumps you off down on side streets.  did they make more of a through-way connection away from the intersection, or do we still have to find our way around those streets?

The most direct connection is cross the RR tracks and grab Hughey to Gore. Or, if you want to get into the Delanay area, take America to Lucerne Cr.

• Like 1

Montverde is asking the Lake County Commission to take steps to slow down traffic on CR 455, the main road through town. Alterations may include stop signs, narrowing the roadway (which would allow for bike lanes for the area’s many cyclists) and a reduced speed limit. The county may act later this year:

town
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-lk-montverde-455-traffic-speed-limit-20220428-2pnmdaysyvarzogii7ork3dqwy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, AmIReal said:

I4 Ultimate Newsletter came out yesterday and included a video celebrating the opening.   (I'm still not sure how I got on this mailing list on my PERSONAL email, but :shrug:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I4 Ultimate Newsletter came out yesterday and included a video celebrating the opening.   (I'm still not sure how I got on this mailing list on my PERSONAL email, but :shrug:)

Andy, you're  just a mega-influencer and FDOT knows it!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I was on it a few nights ago.  I went up and down and all around it.  there is a bunch of what appears to be newly paved parking under the 408 connected to the extension.  if...certain people...are so inclined...one could envision...people going under there and "parking"...if you get my drift...

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Thank goodness! The stretch of The Webster (FL 429) is being widened from Tilden Rd. to the FL Turnpike. It goes to six lanes at long last:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/s-r-429-construction-commences-in-winter-garden

From The West Orange Times Observer 

much needed... it's funny; when they built the 414 extension from OBT west, they built it elevated and six lanes (plus I think) from the get go.  It was more recent and at that point the authority had more money to build wider sooner... BTW, from 414 in that stretch, you get a nice unexpected view of downtown.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:05 PM, jrs2 said:

much needed... it's funny; when they built the 414 extension from OBT west, they built it elevated and six lanes (plus I think) from the get go.  It was more recent and at that point the authority had more money to build wider sooner... BTW, from 414 in that stretch, you get a nice unexpected view of downtown.

I've been trying to capture that view. It's an amazing view of downtown Orlando. Unlike anywhere else in the Metro

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

Thank goodness! The stretch of The Webster (FL 429) is being widened from Tilden Rd. to the FL Turnpike. It goes to six lanes at long last:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/s-r-429-construction-commences-in-winter-garden

From The West Orange Times Observer 

I mean there's widening going on from Siedel to 414.  417 is being widened from SR 535 to SR 528.   The whole beltway system is getting maxed out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLClarkKent said:

Saw that news this morning. Tragic. Apparently high speed was involved. I'll be honest...the first few times I drove over some of those "looping flyovers" it unnerved the bird poop out of me. I felt a bit disoriented and the concrete barrier walls looked really short (in relation to the height of those transitions). For a low riding sedan probably not a problem (unless you are seriously speeding)...but for an SUV or a truck...man...slow your roll, I guess. Still...yikes. No worries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

.the first few times I drove over some of those "looping flyovers" it unnerved the bird poop out of me. 

Me too. I almost had a good cry last week when I was going from I-4 east to get on 408 west and looked in my rearview mirror in time to see a dodge charger coming up behind me to pass me on the left (!) and then crossed in front of me to get on 408 east....oh, and did I mention that there was one Chucky doll coming out of the charger's sunroof and another Chucky doll leaning out the passenger side window looking back at me? Ugh. 

• Like 1

Without trying to be crass, we've made it so easy not to die that a lot of people regularly push envelopes they never should push.  I had a guy pass me on the shoulder of 528 yesterday going at least 100mph.   Traffic was flowing in the mid-70s and he passed us like we were standing still.

On the shoulder.  In heavy traffic.  In a light rain where all the oil/funk hasn't washed away yet.  At an extremely excessive speed.

• Like 1