Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

11 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Without trying to be crass, we've made it so easy not to die that a lot of people regularly push envelopes they never should push.  I agree 100%

I had a guy pass me on the shoulder of 528 yesterday going at least 100mph.   Traffic was flowing in the mid-70s and he passed us like we were standing still. :tw_rage:

On the shoulder.  In heavy traffic.  In a light rain where all the oil/funk hasn't washed away yet.  At an extremely excessive speed.

It's crazy and scary

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, HankStrong said:

Without trying to be crass, we've made it so easy not to die that a lot of people regularly push envelopes they never should push.  I had a guy pass me on the shoulder of 528 yesterday going at least 100mph.   Traffic was flowing in the mid-70s and he passed us like we were standing still.

On the shoulder.  In heavy traffic.  In a light rain where all the oil/funk hasn't washed away yet.  At an extremely excessive speed.

I commute 528 everyday to the coast. It's always idiots in worktrucks (ie pickups), sometimes with full loads, tailgating and then going 100+ mph. Honestly, if I was an undercover cop, a bunch of these clowns would be thrown in jail. They are endangering not just their lives, but others as well. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, shardoon said:

I commute 528 everyday to the coast. It's always idiots in worktrucks (ie pickups), sometimes with full loads, tailgating and then going 100+ mph. Honestly, if I was an undercover cop, a bunch of these clowns would be thrown in jail. They are endangering not just their lives, but others as well. 

Yes!  I don't know what it is about Emerald Plumbing or Get Connected where their idiot drivers get away with acting like a-holes on the road but its insane.  Honorable mention to the Apopka leg of 429 which also has a number of ac places with a bunch of jerks as drivers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

Yes!  I don't know what it is about Emerald Plumbing or Get Connected where their idiot drivers get away with acting like a-holes on the road but its insane.  Honorable mention to the Apopka leg of 429 which also has a number of ac places with a bunch of jerks as drivers.

Exactly, its these work trucks with full loads,  I have no clue how they stay stable at 100+ mph...... honestly, sometimes I put an estimate at 110 mph based on how fast they blow by me after I get pushed over at my 75-80mph. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Yes.  According to Orlando Municipal Code, Kaley is a street within the city of Orlando, and the I-4 Exit Interchange is within the city of Orlando.

Since Kaley runs through both Orlando and unincorporated OC, does that apply to the county portion as well?

Given it was the city that made such a hash of street designations because of an ill-fated election during the Langford administration and the fact the city doesn’t follow its own rules (how can Colonial- which runs east to west - and Primrose - which runs north to south - both be a “Drive”?), I don’t blame FDOT for being confused.

The truth is the city, which had a goal of switching to numbered streets but screwed up the election choices badly, basically walked away from the whole thing. Those of us born and raised here thought the whole thing was atrocious and, in an area where street names change frequently due to all the jurisdictions involved, long ago forgot about the mess made. Given Carl Langford took little seriously during his 14 years (a case of staying too long if ever there was one), none of this comes as a surprise.

You named a handful of outliers.  There is literally nothing confusing about Kaley St and the location of the I-4 Interchange.  In fact, numerous of the new signs were CORRECTLY signed Kaley St, and they went back and changed them to the INCORRECT Kaley Ave.

https://library.municode.com/fl/orlando/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TITIICICO_CH65OFBOPR_PT4OTAPPR_4ISTNA_S65.537GERE

9. Street Type: The part of the name that follows the primary name shall be determined as follows:

a. Roadways with an east/west alignment should be named "Street".

image.thumb.png.4cb8a63dd79498a751ac7b29dfb58ceb.png

Edited by AndyPok1
Cleaning up Muni Code quote block

I notice on Apple Maps Kaley is listed as an Avenue in the county portion just west of I-4. I suppose if the interchange is in Orlando proper, you have a point (didn’t it get shifted slightly as part of Ultimate?), but that hardly seems a hill to die on. If you wish to tilt at that windmill, however, I wish you Godspeed! While you’re at it, how about a properly run election where we shift to numbered streets? That would be the best outcome ever.

49 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I notice on Apple Maps Kaley is listed as an Avenue in the county portion just west of I-4. I suppose if the interchange is in Orlando proper, you have a point (didn’t it get shifted slightly as part of Ultimate?), but that hardly seems a hill to die on. If you wish to tilt at that windmill, however, I wish you Godspeed! While you’re at it, how about a properly run election where we shift to numbered streets? That would be the best outcome ever.

Its Ave in the County and St in the City, I spot checked a number of intersections and looked at the sign, but @AndyPok1 correctly points out, the interchanges is 100% in the city limits.  But evidently this was incorrect on the old I-4 as well.

image.png.6a5b800e1fffc30aabc789a438821d39.png

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, codypet said:

Its Ave in the County and St in the City, I spot checked a number of intersections and looked at the sign, but @AndyPok1 correctly points out, the interchanges is 100% in the city limits.  But evidently this was incorrect on the old I-4 as well.

image.png.6a5b800e1fffc30aabc789a438821d39.png

Yes, but I didn't expect them to change it before the reconstruction.  However when you're MAKING ALL NEW SIGNS AND CONSTITUENTS BROUGHT IT TO YOUR ATTENTION

I recall on the old Amelia/Centroplex exit that sign used to say “Amelia Avenue”, which drove me crazy.

The odd thing about that is, so far as I remember, it always was Amelia St.

For the natives among us, it was always annoying when you’d grown up with it one way and then had to get used to a change which didn’t sound right. Oh well, that whole election and the accompanying mess is best forgotten, I suppose. 

Because my dad worked at the old Hughes Supply building on W. Central Ave., it was particularly difficult to start calling it a Boulevard, as my parents had me memorize the address and phone number as a kid  in case there was ever an emergency. Ahhhh, memories of bygone days in The City Beautiful when the flowers once bloomed…

Edited by spenser1058

I love how I learn such interesting things in these threads, i.e. the if it's north/south its one thing and east/west is a drive.

When I started working for the department of health in a field job in 1984 everyone was given a map from the Orlando board of realtors and we had these big blue books that would tell you the cross streets of an address you were trying to find and we would draw a very rudimentary map on the corner of the complaint card and that was our gps system. :tw_joy:

The first few months were generally a frustrating adventure as streets would change names, end but then pick up somewhere else or a lake would pop up. I'll never forget the day it dawned on me why College Park was called College Park! I always tried to file away street names that I saw when I got lost cause I knew that someday I'd be looking for them. 

• Like 2

Far right Citrus County wants nothing to do with any of FDOT’s four proposed routes for a northerly extension of the Florida Turnpike. Even those folks get that it’s a boondoggle that’s horrible for the watershed in and around the Withlacoochee and Suwannee areas.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/535837-citrus-county-pushes-no-build-option-for-turnpike-extension/

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

The double diamond interchange is about to open at I-4 and CR532 in Osceola (the ChampionsGate exit):

“The traffic volume at the intersection is “incredible,” said project spokesperson David Parks. It’s nearly 64,000 vehicles daily, or more than on Colonial Drive east of downtown Orlando and more than on State Road 436 toward the city’s international airport.”

But wait there’s more!

“Reicher said a key improvement along with the interchange’s redesign is the addition of I-4 lanes between C.R. 532 and the big expressway to the east, State Road 429. Another major upgrade is a significant expansion of ramps to and from C.R. 532 that should combine to reduce accident dangers and driver frustrations, he said.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-interstate-4-double-diamond-intersection-20220708-bx6m4g3235bydob4mu2tfcvtry-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• 3 weeks later...

Local road expansion projects are being delayed due to cost increases.

From Channel 9 News this evening....

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Rising costs of materials is forcing transportation planners to push back road projects on busy roads in Central Florida that were slotted over the next couple of years.

Two of the projects are on State Road 50 in East Orange County that would widen it from near Avalon Park to State Road 520.

The other project is on State Road 434 from Edgewater Drive to the Seminole County Line. It’s been pushed back four years.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/central-florida-road-improvements-being-delayed-due-inflation/5N57DZH36JGVZMBWG6DQTKR2CU/

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I don’t go to Brevard County much (Sheriff Ivey and Randy Fine make me very askeered), but several years ago I went for some reason and I was absolutely shocked that traffic (and this was a Saturday afternoon around noon) was heavy all the way from Challenger Parkway to the Bithlo cutoff. I can only imagine what it’s like now.

Imagine if they’d ever built Rocket City!

26 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I understand why this is happening, but OTOH "Florida's Turnpike may be widened to 18 lanes in Ocoee"

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/07/26/orlando-ocoee-florida-turnpike-widening-catastroph.html

They look to be moving forward with a plan to "widen the highway from south of its interchange with State Road 408 west through its interchange with State Road 50, near Orange County's border with Lake County."

I guess it comes down to who is the funding source- feds, state, county, local...? Feds and State seem to be spending like drunken sailors.

Btw, this looks like a situation where the means to add to sprawl (highway enlargement) leads to reduction in sprawl (lost apartment units already approved, but not now buildable).

Edited by AmIReal

18 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I understand why this is happening, but OTOH "Florida's Turnpike may be widened to 18 lanes in Ocoee"

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/07/26/orlando-ocoee-florida-turnpike-widening-catastroph.html

They look to be moving forward with a plan to "widen the highway from south of its interchange with State Road 408 west through its interchange with State Road 50, near Orange County's border with Lake County."

I guess it comes down to who is the funding source- feds, state, county, local...? Feds and State seem to be spending like drunken sailors.

Btw, this looks like a situation where the means to add to sprawl (highway enlargement) leads to reduction in sprawl (lost apartment units already approved, but not now buildable).

FTE’s been going rogue ever since Jeb! spun them off as a quasi-private outfit. These are the guys that wanted to build Lexus lanes on an already tolled road (Seminole Expressway - FL 417). The resulting howl from citizens and even Republican Seminole commissioners shut that right down. Some local wags observed that was what finally made Seminole purple…

23 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

If the turnpike project is the one I'm thinking of, there are some people out that way who are objecting to it on the grounds that it will destroy some historical areas, including a cemetery, possibly.

Heard the story briefly but didn't give it a good, close listen.