Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

Oh, I agree that development is the main problem (and cause). But the road itself IS a problem from a connectivity standpoint for natural habitat. They like to propose things like the Land Bridges to claim that this will fix the barrier that arises for wildlife attempting to cross, but it doesn't. 

Also RE: the everglades. Here is a map and a cool study on the destruction that the Government caused to it:  https://journals.openedition.org/miranda/2881

img-1.jpg

img-2.jpg

img-3.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s something to remember - Texas has 4 Times the land area of Florida but is only 25% larger in population than us. Do you truly want to keep stuffing people into the state and abandon the increasingly shrinking natural areas? 

I cant imagine Florida with as many people as Texas but we’re well on our way. 

Spense, You know I mostly agree with you. You want to see a travesty, google "Lehigh Acres" and look at the aerial imagery. 

And I might add, that the originator is Mr. Bill Galvano, an ambulance chaser from my homeland of Manatee County in Bradentucky.  And no, I did not vote for him. 

In the 2002 election he was opposed by Arlene Sweeting, the Democratic nominee, and James Wallace, the Libertarian nominee. During the general election, he attacked Sweeting's platform, noting, "She wants to do a lot of things for everybody. The question is: Where will the money come from?" He called for the implementation of zero-based budgeting in light of the state's revenue shortfalls.[4] The Herald-Tribune endorsed Galvano in the general election, noting that, despite the fact that both candidates are "thoughtful, well-versed on the issues, and deeply involved in their community," Galvano's "more practical, fiscally conservative approach" would help create a "moderate, bipartisan consensus in Tallahassee."

LOL, yeah, that sure is practical and fiscally conservative there, Mr. Bootstraps! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Does that make it connect to CR 439?  That would mean you could skip OBT and US 19 to get to Alexander Springs.  At least I think you could.

Yes. Round Lake Rd currently ends at Wolf Branch. This plan would widen it and extend it to Hwy 44 at the 439 intersection.

• Like 1

Speaking of I-4 Delays. . . (in the other threads):  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-i4-construction-delay-mounts-20190508-z5iw65ffjzd23k5cimfukbq4em-story.html

Not a surprise as some of us in the industry have said this will be expected for a while here, especially CodyPet. Delays and cost over-runs on a project of this size and scope usually happen and are often longer than "projected" by the contractor.  

I-4 construction: Projected finish now nearly 9 months beyond original 2021 date. 

Report blames the growing delay on flaws in foundation design, Hurricane Irma, a bridge pier riddled with cracks, added tolling sites and an alleged opposition from local governments in requests for lane closures and detours.

The builder did not respond to request for comment.

The Florida Department of Transportation described the reported delay of 260 days as a “snapshot from the concessionaire's and contractor's point of view.”

“No time extensions or financial considerations have been granted,” DOT spokesman Steve Olson said Wednesday. “While the claim is being reviewed, construction activities are continuing and the contractor is being held to the terms of the contract, which calls for completion in 2021.”

The latest designs I've seen don't have a cycle track East of Bumby. The goal is to provide dedicated, then shared bike facilities from I-4 to Howard MS, from which point that traffic would be diverted to Livingston. 

With Billy Hattaway in Orlando now, I do think there is a strong voice for improving our bicycle infrastructure, but with counts between Bumby and Mills, the City and FDOT might decide this isn't the place to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

"A Colorado firm was named as the replacement contractor for a stretch of the $1.6 billion, 25-mile Wekiva Parkway toll road project after a Florida contractor defaulted voluntarily in March."

"The work, which stretches from Longwood-Markham Road to Orange Boulevard, is expected to continue on schedule for a 2022 completion."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/05/31/colorado-firm-named-as-contractor-on-108-3m.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

I soooo can’t wait to drive over some of these but I think I’m going to get really confused about exactly where I’m going.

I must admit driving I'm looking at it on video or through documents it looks okay like any other cross connect. But walking and looking at it from the ground level and the roles that don't necessarily connect over each other like South and Anderson but they are a part of the exit entry points it is very very confusing and it's going to be very confusing 4 unfamiliar drivers I should say.

I don't know.

The West Orange stack with the 429 in the turnpike is nice and easy but again it's nothing like this one so we'll see

• Like 1

I just came in from Tampa Bay area last night, and the current I-4 configuration is awful. They have grated drainage systems in the center of the road that they decided it would be a good idea to put the left lane on. So basically, for one section of the leftmost lane eastbound, you are effectively on a temporary paved shoulder next to a retaining wall with drainage culverts every few feet that are not at all smooth. I though I was going to get catapulted into the next lane when I hit some of them. Couldn't get out of that lane fast enough, because there were semi's right next to me.  If I had been sitting on a pile of Charcoal, I could've made a diamond! 

Also, if anybody hasn't had the pleasure of the latest MOT on the Colonial exit, here is the current configuration: 

Untitled-6.thumb.png.80239e4988dc3a2fce66c1feaf40fe58.png

Heckuva job, there, SGL! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:32 PM, codypet said:

When they shifted EB to the new lanes on Sat I was in my car screaming in my head where the hell am I going?  And am I gonna miss 408?  

Just a heads up, if you're planning on getting off at Kaley and you're still on the mainline as you approach OBT, you've just missed the exit.

when I first saw that lane shift, I had the same look on my face of momentary apprehension that Count Dooku had when Mace Windu sliced Jango Fett's head off.

Sugarloaf Mountain Rd in Lake County has been resurfaced so if you’ve been dying to take on dcluley in your own version of Breaking Away, now’s the time:

http://bit.ly/2wFd7NP

From the Sentinel 

*sings, “And when I die won’t you bury me in the parking lot of the A&P...”*

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1