Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

On 6/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, spenser1058 said:

Do we know if they cost more to build and if so how much (just an  average %}?

Is the goal weighted more to safety, traffic movement or something else? Has anyone seen cost-benefit numbers showing their effectiveness?

They do seem fascinating.

They typically cost very similar to a standard diamond interchange. They typically work best where a high volume of traffic is turning and there is less through traffic. The higher percentage of traffic that is not entering or exiting the highway, the worse they perform, and vice versa, the higher the percentage of turning traffic, the better they perform. This is because the signal phasing is only capable of allowing one direction of straight movement at a time, as compared to both directions at the same time with the standard diamond. The timing of the signals also does not allow them to be configured with adjacent signals to ensure progression (giving you a green streak) in both directions, so at least one direction is guaranteed to run into at least an extra red light

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The City of Orlando is moving forward with plans to restore two-way traffic on Orange and Magnolia in Uptown:

https://bungalower.com/2019/07/09/city-sets-vision-for-two-way-north-quarter/

From Bungalower 

I'm assuming they're thinking the new ramps onto I-4 is going to take much of the traffic off Magnolia and Orange.  That's a big gamble.

• Like 2

I think it's a good idea, and makes sense for the North Quarter, but they shouldn't extend it South beyond Colonial. That doesn't make much sense. And definitely need to fix Colonial first.  North Quarter has a different feel than the roads South of Colonial. There honestly is not much retail or pedestrian activity at all between Amelia and Colonial, mostly due to it being the Sentinel property and more business type area. 

Edited by dcluley98

9 hours ago, codypet said:

I'm assuming they're thinking the new ramps onto I-4 is going to take much of the traffic off Magnolia and Orange.  That's a big gamble.

I liked the new ramp north of Amelia on Garland right up until they opened up the other lanes to thru traffic and not just Princeton-Par-Fairbanks-Lee Rd traffic.  Now, it is very congested, as it should be, because that's I-4.  So now, I prefer Magnolia again, or Orange Ave.

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Not until the Sentinel property is redeveloped (if ever). 

Most of that area (including I4’s location, the design of the ramps and the width of Orange, Magnolia and Colonial there were designed by SRD member Martin Andersen to maximize access for his newspaper trucks (and, as a lesser goal, to bring people downtown - the opposite happened on that).

What the Sentinel created we now wait for the Sentinel to put right. Of course, those decisions now get made in Chicago or whoever they sell to by people who could care less about the practical effects.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

I've never understood this fascination with two-way streets.  Almost every downtown is filled with one-way streets.  What makes Orlando so special that it is an issue here?

They are not pedestrian friendly at all (motorists are more likely to regard them as racetracks- see South and Anderson Streets). Psychologically, they also seem to goad drivers to just move through them and some studies show they impede the likelihood of drivers stopping into businesses along one-way pairs. Orlando is actually being rather progressive in trying to dial them back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

They are not pedestrian friendly at all (motorists are more likely to regard them as racetracks- see South and Anderson Streets). Psychologically, they also seem to goad drivers to just move through them and some studies show they impede the likelihood of drivers stopping into businesses along one-way pairs. Orlando is actually being rather progressive in trying to dial them back.

Yeah, I've heard all those arguments.  I just don't subscribe to any of those theories.

1) As a pedestrian, I'd much rather cross a one way street.  I can see the traffic coming from a single direction and easily decide when to cross.  Crossing Robinson from Eola Heights or Michigan to the Publix/YouFit plaza during rush hour is a nightmare and significantly worse than crossing Orange or South where there are natural breaks for all the cars.

2) They are meant to goad.  People aren't window-shopping in our downtown from their passenger seat.  Either they are coming to a destination (even if just downtown is the destination), or they are leaving.  We should make it as easy as possible for them to get in/out.  One-ways accomplish that.

3) Ah, okay, that's the thing I was looking for.  This is based on newer science and we're just on the cutting edge.  Similar to the Diverging Diamonds in uhhh Missouri(?) I think it was like 8 years ago.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, smileguy said:

I noticed this leaving City Hall this morning at Boone and Anderson. Are they re-naming Boone to something ending in "ia"?  

67194207_694838624296647_7056594223235072000_n.thumb.jpg.c240c86e8772a542e03d42d0f091525c.jpg

The city will extend Boone Ave to Sylvia Ln and eventually work its way down to Orlando Health in the future.

Extension.thumb.jpg.d3ea3580d859ccde91e05e1589c42326.jpg

Extension1.thumb.jpg.4e9b01594c2f9d411e6979420659db75.jpgExtension2.thumb.jpg.5e03bd0a2282c7246e938ad72b9d8732.jpg

It will be interesting to see if they choose to restore any of the brick streets or pave over the existing ones in the future.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I asked about this previously and Codypet posted this

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, codypet said:

image.thumb.png.1e6d8a5d89ab492a7bbfeabe6d049e3d.png

Sylvia Ln extends to Boone per the I-4 Plans

For some context, here is a photo of the area posted by JFW

My question was how were they going to handle the wet pond next to OUC...

chustrepla011319c.jpg

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

If we’re going to create roadways as crooked as a dog’s hind leg to reconnect downtown with what’s now known as SoDo, someone under the dome needs to reconnect what used to be the primary access and link Delaney back with Rosalind.

That was arguably the biggest screwup of downtown traffic since the East-West obliterated the north/south grid access.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

If we’re going to create roadways as crooked as a dog’s hind leg to reconnect downtown with what’s now known as SoDo, someone under the dome needs to reconnect what used to be the primary access and link Delaney back with Rosalind.

That was arguably the biggest screwup of downtown traffic since the East-West obliterated the north/south grid access.

I played around with some ideas for this about five years ago.  It really does need to be reconnected.

west.jpg

• Like 2

I look forward to the Sylvia connection being completed. I don't see how it will move a lot of traffic unless they are going to enlarge the throughput of America St over to Hughey then over to Gore, but it will create another vein of flow to the parking garages of downtown. Also, hopefully another usable walkway.

I believe much of the cut through traffic in Delaney will be reduced once the I4-408 connection is done. It would also be helpful to make Annie St 1 way, westbound from Bradshaw Ter to Orange and put additional roundabouts on Delaney between Gore and Anderson. Possibly make entry onto the 408 from Delaney impossible by way of barriers, but that would just drive more traffic onto Cherokee.

I have no idea how to address the problems on Cherokee other than turn it into a pay road... it is just unfortunately to well positioned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know someone has previously mentioned the I4 beautification awards, but I could not find the post. The award amounts range from $150k to $225k and went to Altamonte, Maitland, Eatonville, Winter Park and Orange Co. "Each municipality will be in charge of coming up with their own criteria and application process for artists who seek to hop on the project."

I can't really fathom what someone might do for these projects, but I'm anxiously awaiting them.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/08/13/orlando-gets-400000-for-art-projects-to-beautify-interstate-4