Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/25/2019 at 7:15 AM, spenser1058 said:

The battle to stop pure unadulterated Tallahassee pork from destroying the environment continues:

https://www.ocala.com/news/20190824/big-florida-highway-expansion-continues-to-generate-big-concerns?template=ampart

From the Ocala Star Banner

I've got mixed emotions about that.  The current interstates need improving.  Suncoast Parkway to GA?  The Trump supporter that owns all that land?  There's rich Democrats too and that allusion shouldn't even be stressed in that article.  When Carter was president, Georgia got tons of money for roads.

Just look at a rust belt urban area in Ohio, Cuyahoga, Summit, and Starke counties, there are way more limited access roads to get around than in more populated Florida metros (NE Ohio).  It makes CFLA look backwards ass (and Tampa), even today with the expansions of 414, 429, 417, the road to Mount Dora, etc.  So, something really has to be done.  We can't judge Florida in a vacuum.

I dunno, because of the environmental concerns, make I-75 an 8- 10 lane expressway to Tifton and call it a day.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

It’s important to remember the interstate system was conceived in the 1950’s when Ohio was more populous and more powerful than Florida.

That’s no longer the case, of course. Do we want to use 1950’s answers for 21st century challenges. Remember in the 1950’s they were also using interstates for “urban renewal” and obliterating cities. We now know better.

Or maybe in Tallahassee they don’t. Texas learned in the hurricanes that sank Houston that mass evacuations can be more dangerous than the storm itself. Yet they tried to justify this environmental devastation and sprawl creation to enrich the suits by claiming it was to aid evacuations. As usual, the Tallahassee emperors have no clothes and it’s up to us to do better.

By the way, Ocala’s paper is not some wild-eyed liberal publication (it’s owned by the same corporate group as Daytona’s).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 7:38 AM, spenser1058 said:

It’s important to remember the interstate system was conceived in the 1950’s when Ohio was more populous and more powerful than Florida.

That’s no longer the case, of course. Do we want to use 1950’s answers for 21st century challenges. Remember in the 1950’s they were also using interstates for “urban renewal” and obliterating cities. We now know better.

Or maybe in Tallahassee they don’t. Texas learned in the hurricanes that sank Houston that mass evacuations can be more dangerous than the storm itself. Yet they tried to justify this environmental devastation and sprawl creation to enrich the suits by claiming it was to aid evacuations. As usual, the Tallahassee emperors have no clothes and it’s up to us to do better.

By the way, Ocala’s paper is not some wild-eyed liberal publication (it’s owned by the same corporate group as Daytona’s).

yeah, but back to the Ohio comparison...here in Orlando, I would've liked to see Maitland Blvd- in a perfect world- to have continued east past 17/92 somehow for the sake of connectivity.  I mean, they didn't finally connect the Osceola and Orange portions of JYP until the late '90's.  Connectivity.  I don't want to see neighborhoods ruined and wetlands ruined, but we need connectivity that makes sense- not that every road has to be limited access...ya know...

I don't know if I agree that Suncoast Pkwy needs to be extended to the GA line.  I can't see the urban planning departments at UF and FSU agreeing with that one.  Maybe just expand I-75 north of the Fla Tnpk.  I get the rich land owners angle, but maybe the state wants to reel in more toll dollars too by extending the TNPK to the Suncoast Pkwy extension.

So, it turns out the toll system former Governor Skeletor cajoled the Florida Turnpike into using (and which he and his wife had a personal interest in) is such a mess that FTE is already attempting to replace it after less than two years.

Yes, my friends, this is your Tallahassee government at work:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-floridas-turnpike-collection-changes-20190923-kxket4hahzgslfhoequjnrjhma-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Ultimate I-4 project shut down again after another fatal accident.  There have been 5 fatalities and over 160 injuries on the job so far, as well as being almost a year behind schedule and hundreds of million dollars over budget. SGL Constructors is to blame for this dismal safety record and lack of performance, yet they won't be kicked off the job, which is a P3 project, any time soon. 

Tragic that the loss of life keeps occurring and FDOT seems to lack any recourse to do anything about it. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-worker-dies-interestate-4-ultimate-project-20190929-tva3eext4vgv7hhyt6mbgmsa7q-story.html

Edited by dcluley98

Who wanted those 300 miles of extra toll roads the yahoos in Tallahassee say we need? The road builders.

The Miami Herald finds actual citizens aren’t interested:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article235824872.html

This is the state government we’ve had for 20 years at work.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, spenser1058 said:

I can't read the article, but I like roundabouts if we can educate people how to use them.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I4 Ultimate is now one of the worst debacles in Florida history and getting worse daily:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-interstate-4-construction-trouble-20191024-bwu7si7rwzbz7kebzurpoazuhu-story.html

From the Sentinel

Yet!!! It is not considered a boondoggle by the believers of only roads.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Yet!!! It is not considered a boondoggle by the believers of only roads.

I mean, by the definition of the word, its clearly not: I-4 was easily the worst interstate in the state. Anyone who questions the need for that project is in my eyes crazy.

The article doesn't question any need for the project either. The questions are on the management of the project. I do think Orlando was getting the shaft in state funding for roads for a long time, leading to the necessity for such a monster project at once. It would have been far preferably to do it in much, much smaller pieces. That'd also make massive cuts by a contractor, such as the pedestrian bridge downgrade, a much more significant portion of the project and much less likely be unacceptable. I-4 Mobility Partners is getting away with murder, quite literally, and is setting an example of how not to setup a road project. But that has nothing to do with the need for said projects.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I4 Ultimate is now one of the worst debacles in Florida history and getting worse daily:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-interstate-4-construction-trouble-20191024-bwu7si7rwzbz7kebzurpoazuhu-story.html

From the Sentinel

How do you think it will be defined in 10  or 20 years? Mind you, I'm not questioning the viewpoint (which I somewhat share), I'm just wondering how our citizenry will look at it in the future.