Economic Development Strategy and Institutions

kermit

• 2 years later...

Wonderful news on the economic front with the rise of entrepreneurism throughout the state.  Who knows how quickly some of these business can become "the next big thing"!

https://www.thecentersquare.com/north_carolina/north-carolina-experiences-sharp-rise-in-entrepreneurship-amid-covid-19-pandemic/article_1bed6e3a-8680-11eb-ab72-17c6adb91223.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting city comparison tool from Hahvid:

https://metroverse.cid.harvard.edu/city/707/similar-cities?benchmark=global_pop

These are NOT flattering comparisons. I don’t get their model -at all-.

EDIT: While it seems clear that these data and or indexing methods are garbage, people who are not familiar with Charlotte may be making decisions based on these data.

4EFE277F-F926-4E1F-B178-7491E5E8AB1B.png

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

Their data is junk on the size of our city per the "What is my city's economic composition": "Charlotte⁩ has a population of ⁨370.5 thousand⁩ people (⁨2015⁩) and an estimated GDP per capita of $⁨60.7 thousand⁩. Out of the ⁨346⁩ cities covered in ⁨the Americas⁩, ⁨Charlotte⁩ ranks as the ⁨155th⁩ most populated, and displays the ⁨61st⁩ highest GDP per capita. ⁨Charlotte's⁩ labor force consists of about ⁨402.8 thousand⁩ workers."

Hence our "similar" cities are metros in the 100,000 to 700,000 range.  Also, somehow we have more workers than total people. LOL.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

TBJ has a story on declining membership in their various chambers of commerce. Local small firms reduced their connection with chambers during the pandemic and big new corporate arrivals (Apple, Google) appear to be disinterested in participating. This is certainly not unique to the Triangle, membership (and thus revenue) at the Charlotte Chamber (I can never remember its new name) has been declining for years and this has made it difficult to raise salaries, thus they have seen a good bit of turnover and had some staff recruiting problems.

This is a looming issue for both the Triangle and Charlotte. Chambers were once the first, and lead contact point for economic development, but as that role gets shifted to the state office, there is likely to be a political reflex to soft pedal ED projects in large metros while working hard on rural projects which are lower-productivity and low-wage opportunities.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/07/23/business-booster-groups-struggle-with-membership.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

This is kinda off-topic and also sour grapes on my part, but I thought it was interesting.

Georgia did an audit on their film incentives program, discovered it has one of the worst ROI’s of any ED program I have ever seen. One billion in incentives brought back less than $300 million in revenue.

https://www.audits2.ga.gov/reports/summaries/tie-georgias-film-tax-credit/

I will concede these sorts of audits are subject to mountains of political influence and manipulation. So the numbers should be viewed with caution, and it could just be that the state wants the program to end for other reasons.

IMG_1358.png

• Thanks 1

Interesting about Georgia but does that take into account the property taxes on all the studios they have all the state mainly in the Atlanta area.  I know they are all kinds of sales tax refunds etc they do that in NC.  What about the income taxes of the people working there?  I have rumblings about Georgia tax incentives for movies and tv shows being too generous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1