What makes your city unique?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Things that make Austin unique:

- Live Music Capitol of the World.

- The Texas State Capital Building, unlike most capitol buildings in other states, is made out of pink granite. Its capitol building size is bigger than the U.S. Capitol in DC, which was modeled after.

- Largest Urban Bat Colony lives under a bridge into downtown. In summertime, they fly out of their bridge home at sundown.

- Home to University of Texas campus, the most populous college campus with 40,000+. Hook em, Longhorns. BURNT ORANGE!!!

- Sixth Street is home to the most live music clubs in its 7 block stretch. Most live music in these clubs consists of rock, pop, country-western, reggae and blues. SXSW (South-by-Southwest) is held in March, the largest live music event in the city.

- The Silicon Valley of the south, modeled after San Jose. Home to Dell Computers, HQ'd in nearby Round Rock.

- Our current president, GW, used to be Texas governor here before heading to DC.

Spartanburg, SC

-located in the center of SC's Upstate

-no natural boundaries

-founded around a spring, which has since been buried. The only remnant of it is "Spring St."

-Once a very important rail hub- so much so that it was called "Hub City"

-5 four-year colleges: Wofford, Converse, USC Upstate, Spartanburg Methodist College, Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic- The only chiropractic college in the state

-home to the SC School for the Deaf and Blind

-home to the first Hardee's franchise

-home to Denny's

-home to the BMW Zentrum -the only BMW plant in America

-home to Milliken Inc.

-The decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan was made in Converse Heights- a historic neighborhood in Spartanburg

-Carolina Panthers have their summer trainning camp at Wofford

-The only city named Spartanburg

Pittsburgh, PA

cityopit.JPG

Home of the world's first modern gas station.

Home of KDKA, the world's first radio station.

Home of WQED, the world's first public television station. (Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was filmed in the WQED studios.)

Home of the banana split and the Big Mac, both invented here.

Home of the Ferris Wheel, also invented here.

Home of 727 different bridges, the most of any city in North America, and the second-most of any city in the world (Venice, Italy).

Home of the new David L. Lawrence Convention Center, the world's largest "green" building. (Also home of the world's largest concentration of green buildings.)

Home of Kennywood Park, featuring two of the top five roller coasters in the world (according to the National Amusement Park Historic Association). The Steel Phantom, which ranks #4, and the Thunderbolt, which ranks as the #1 roller coaster in the world.

Home of PNC Park, the best ballpark in Major League Baseball, according to ESPN Page 2.

Home of the world's largest revolving door (located at the Pittsburgh Hilton).

Home of the Cathedral of Learning, the world's tallest school building.

Home of the following celebrities: Stephen Foster, Andy Warhol, Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers), George Benson, Charles Grodin, Jeff Goldblum, Dennis Miller, Christina Aguilera (born in Staten Island, raised in Pittsburgh).

Home of the following great NFL quarterbacks: Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly.

Home of the following professional athletes: Mike Ditka, Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Cowher, Dave Wannstedt, Marvin Lewis, Curtis Martin, Kevan Barlow, LaVar Arrington, Jason Taylor, Ty Law, Marc Bulger, Gus Frerotte, Charlie Batch, Sean Casey, Ken Griffey Jr., Reggie Miller.

Home of more wireless "hot spots" per capita than any major city in the country, and the 8th-most wireless hot spots overall.

Home of the world's fastest supercomputer outside a nuclear weapons laboratory (located at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center).

Home of the following notable companies: USX, PNC Financial, Heinz, Mellon Bank, Alcoa, FreeMarkets, Bruster's Ice Cream, American Eagle Outfitters, 84 Lumber, FedEx Ground. Also home of Sony Corp.'s North American operations, as well as research facilites for Seagate Technologies, and offices for Rand, Inc.

Home of the most educated foreign immigrants of any major city in the country. Of all foreign immigrants who settle in Pittsburgh, 58% of them have college degrees, the highest percentage of any major U.S. metropolitan area.

Home of the world's largest outdoor aviary.

Home of the Andy Warhol Museum, the largest museum in the world dedicated to a single artist.

Home of Sandcastle Water Park, the largest water park in North America.

:)

Minneapolis

largest mall in the USA (GSF)

largest skyway system in the world in number of bridges

largest urban sculpture garden in the country

frequently rated the second cleanest city in the country (damn you Honolulu ;) )

our unusually symmetrical skyline ( our 3 tallest buildings are almost exactly the same height)

Minneapolis is situated on 45 north (exactly the same distance between the equator and north pole)

a twin city of St. Paul

More golfers per capita than any other city in America

Twenty-two lakes within the city limits and the Mississippi River running through it

and one of about ten cities that claim to have the most theater seats per capita outside NYC.

Ah, Detroit. The Motor city. There is only one way to describe how great this place is... IN SONG! So now without further adieu:

"Hello Detroit"

Sammy Davis, Jr.

You're a fighter, you're a lover

You're strong and you recover

From whatever gets you down

And there's so many many reasons

Any time, any season

Is the right time, to be with you

Hello Detroit

You've won my heart

Your renaissance, and waterfronts

Give you a flare of your own

Irresistible you

Hug and kissable you

You're alive with so much feeling

And I will always, be there for you

I will say, a little prayer for you

And I will always care for you

Hello Detroit

You've touched my soul

Thanks for the memories I cherish so

Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall

You've got it all

Hello Hello Hello

Hello Detroit

On a stroll through Belle Isle Park

Greektown after dark

You instill in the young, the will to become

Stars and champions

Hello my friend

How have you been?

It's in the air

It's everywhere

The magical touch of you

Irresistible you

Hug and kissable you

You're alive with so much feeling

And I will always be there for you

I will say a little prayer for you

I will always care for you

Hello

Big D

Motor City

And the Motown sound that's got the whole world singin'

I will always be there for you

I will always say a little prayer for you

I will always care for you

Hello Detroit

sammy_1.jpg

• 1 year later...

im from portland maine, unique because it is the only place in america where you can get an elementary, middle school, high school, college, and medical degree on one street...stevens avenue.

longfellow elementary has pre-K through 5th.

lincoln middle has grades 6-8.

deering and mcCauley high schools have grades 9-12.

university of new england has a four year college and a medical school.

you can also buy pizza, mail letters, get an ice cream, eat chinese, have your shoes shined, eat a polish dinner, order a "sub", attend driving school, go to a public library, go food shopping at a grocery store, go to a foot doctor, walk your dog or yourself in a scenic wooded park, feed ducks or visit lost loved ones at a scenic cemetery, buy a car, or live...all on the same street not more than 2 miles long.

and all of this is in the "sub-urban" part of town.

portland also has the closest u.s. port to europe.

it is the primary entrance for montreal's oil.

it's deep-water port handles more than any on the east coast, including boston's.

it has the second oldest public learning institution in america.

it has more restaurants per person than any city in america except san francisco.

and more lawyers per person than any city except washington D.C.

one of its three hospitals is ranked in the top 2% of the nation for primary care.

and all of this is for a city of barely over 60,000 people.

Not really, but most people in the world and country think that Orlando=Walt Disney World.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orlando has a Tiffany Museum that contains a reconstructed chapel inside designed and built by Tiffany in the late 19th Century. Whenever I make it back to Orlando, that is the thing that I would most like to see. I really don't know when I'll make it back to Orlando. I don't like Florida much. I'm not really interested in amusement parks or beaches. My other half does like those things though. I have agreed to go back only if we go to this museum and to go to the Peabody to see the ducks again. Of course, Memphis has the claim to the Peabody Ducks and has a more interesting lobby.

One more unique minneapolis thing..

Besides having tons of lakes, every house is within six blocks of a park --which is a credit to our founders.

But, frankly everyone only comes here for the largest mall in the nation --The Mall of America. Apparently is it the largest tourist attraction in the US. Us locals avoid it!!

Things that make Austin unique:

- Live Music Capitol of the World.

- The Texas State Capital Building, unlike most capitol buildings in other states, is made out of pink granite.  Its capitol building size is bigger than the U.S. Capitol in DC, which was modeled after.

- Largest Urban Bat Colony lives under a bridge into downtown.  In summertime, they fly out of their bridge home at sundown.

- Home to University of Texas campus, the most populous college campus with 40,000+.  Hook em, Longhorns.  BURNT ORANGE!!!

- Sixth Street is home to the most live music clubs in its 7 block stretch.  Most live music in these clubs consists of rock, pop, country-western, reggae and blues.  SXSW (South-by-Southwest) is held in March, the largest live music event in the city.

- The Silicon Valley of the south, modeled after San Jose.  Home to Dell Computers, HQ'd in nearby Round Rock.

- Our current president, GW, used to be Texas governor here before heading to DC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Texas State Capital is also interesting for the fact that it cost the state nothing to build. Because of the fact that Texas had been an independent country. It doesn't matter that it was for only ten years and not really recognized by most countries, The federal government instead of claiming unowned land within the state for its own allowed the State of Texas to own it. The State used land in the Northwest Corner of the Panhandle as payment for the construction. While the state capital is the largest state capital building, it is like most others in that it is based on the design of the capital in Washington. The Bat Colony is not the only collection of animals that Austin gets. In the spring, there is cricket mating season and you can't walk anywhere without going crunch (the bats love it though), and Grackle season ( don't park or walk under any trees). You also didn't mention the most fun times to be in Austin. Splash Day to open the summer lake season, 4th of July on the lake, and Last Splash. Fun party times on Lake Travis where there is drink, nudity, and a party atmosphere. You didn't mention that the Texas Alma Mater is I've been Working on the Railroad (The Eye's of Texas are Upon You) or they ate their first mascot.

Huntsville is unique because:

Almost 40% of the population has a college degree, making it one of the smartest cities in the nation.

There is average commuting time of 20 minutes, and many people leave the center city to go to work, creating an odd traffic pattern.

We are home to Boeing's rocket division.

We are home to Lockheed Martin's rocket division.

We are home to Northrop Grumman's rocket division.

We are (going to be) home to US Missile Command (was I supposed to say that?)

We "build" the space shuttle, Florida launches it, Houston commands it.

Decatur, another city in the metro, is home to Cook's Pest Control, the first wave pool in the US, and... Meow Mix!

Atlanta:

All our TGIF's have different street addresses.

Our interstates come in 4 different flavors, 85, 285, 75 & 20.

32 streets don't even have 'peach' in the name.

Eh, I'm out of ideas, funny idea though - wasn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: I actually laughed out loud at the TGIF one. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk metro area---------the monitor turret is in a museum here. Jamestown is in the metro. There is a church from the 1600's that is still standing and has a British canon ball from the revolutionary war. Douglas MacAurthur museum. The world's Largest Naval installation. One of the biggest cul-de-sacs in the country(not a good thing). Has the largest moving crane in the world( Northrup and Grumman Newport News). NASA is here. Has the largest military population in the country. Beautiful beaches and surrounding water ways, it has the largest container cranes in the world, has 5 tunnels under water with a 6th in the planning, the waffle cone was invented by doumars of Norfolk, Ft. Wool, Ft. Monroe, the old ocean view amusement park(no longer in existence), NATOs hq is here, ODU, they are working to have the first Maglev train in the country on ODU's campus. Dr J use to play for the Va Squires here in Norfolk. So many more i just can't think about right now at work.

Grand Rapids has one of the largest residential historic districts in the country, Heritage Hill, featuring over 1300 registered homes and buildings, and over 60 architectural styles from the late 1800's, early 1900's.

http://www.heritagehillweb.org/

There are many other interesting aspects of Grand Rapids, but I don't want to sound like a tour bus driver ;)

Raleigh is unique in that it is surrounded by reknowned colleges and a large research park. Raleigh has a rather old loop freeway (the oldest parts date back to the 60s), which was uncommon back when it was first built, especially considering the actual size of Raleigh during the time. Raleigh is home to many fine museums as well. Raleigh was designed to be the state capitol--that has always been its purpose. Raleigh is situated in the state's largest county, which I think was also engineered as such. It is said to be in the geographic center of the state, where the piedmont meets the sandhills.

Charlotte is unique in its prowess in the banking sector, especially considering its size when compared to other cities with comparable assets. The countryside around Charlotte is allegedly littered with gold, and the first big gold rush occured in what is now Cabarrus County (an MSA county). In my lifetime and perhaps some time before, Charlotte has led other cities in the state regarding matters of skyline, neo-urban projects, professional sports, traffic innovations, mass transit, etc. Charlotte's traffic woes and roadway goofups seem pretty unique too, unfortunately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wake county is not the largest county in land area in North Carolina. Sampson and many more ounties in the eastern part of the state are bigger.

Wake county is not the largest county in land area in North Carolina. Sampson and many more ounties in the eastern part of the state are bigger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think if you're counting usable land though, Wake is bigger. Those eastern counties are mostly swamp; unfit for development in many places. But yes for sheer size they are larger.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro:

-Downtown is made up of Franklin Street, Rosemary Street, and Main Street. Remarkably well organized and active for a city of this size, even if it lacks a skyline.

-Tallest building is a 12-story tower at UNC, part of the hospital complex.

-NC Arboretum

-NC Botanical Gardens

-Ackland Art Museum

-Forest Theatre/Playmakers theatre for performing arts

-Famous for the UNC basketball championship recently.

(This actually ties into Hillsboro, which is the county seat for Orange Co.)

-Occoneechee Mountain is the highest point in the county; a monadnock created by erosion of surrounding land. The recreation area has a cave, a large waterfront on the Eno River, and a quarry on a side of the overgrown hill that offers great views of Hillsboro.

-Very effective public schools

Granted I live in Raleigh now, but someone already did that.

Hartford has a river, the Park River, that was buried in the late 50's. There used to be canoe trips that would navigate the tunneled river under the city, which is unique to my knowledge. He stopped running the trips due to pressure from the city, but you can still canoe under the city if you choose....

Freehold, NJ is unique in many ways ...

-We have one of the largest non-English speaking populations in NJ

-We are the county seat of Monmouth County, and all of the government buildings from the 1800's can be seen here.

-The Freehold Centre Bus Terminal is one of the most used transportation centers south of the Raritan River

-We are home to the world famous Freehold Raceway

-We are also home to the largest iced tea factory in the world (Nestea).

-We have the largest school district in the state of NJ, with 6 high schools and many more elementry schools

-The downtown district is 1 square mile in size, and governmentally is considered a seperate municipality than the rest of Freehold, although the borders are not clearly defined.

-Bruce Springstein was born and raised in Freehold, NJ. In fact, his entire Born in the USA album is about Freehold and the surrounding area.

-14% of our population commutes daily to NYC via the NJTransit Express bus.

Archived