389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

A lot of tinkering and retrofitting that can prove to be more expensive then actually building a new stadium. Also if the owners can stomach the costs and go through with the change the stadium loses its functionality of other sports that have been bringing money. Seems like to me, that with some foresight the leaders who pushed for renovations of CWS should have designed a stadium that can cater to all sports. Not just football! More sports = more events= more opportunities = more revenue... You never now when the next opportunity will present itself. 

10 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

A lot of tinkering and retrofitting that can prove to be more expensive then actually building a new stadium. Also if the owners can stomach the costs and go through with the change the stadium loses its functionality of other sports that have been bringing money. Seems like to me, that with some foresight the leaders who pushed for renovations of CWS should have designed a stadium that can cater to all sports. Not just football! More sports = more events= more opportunities = more revenue... You never now when the next opportunity will present itself. 

They had a pre-existing "shell" to work within and the kind of redesign you're suggesting probably wouldn't have been possible without demolishing one side. Given the limited funds available to do what they managed to do, that was likely not even a possibility.

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They had a pre-existing "shell" to work within and the kind of redesign you're suggesting probably wouldn't have been possible without demolishing one side. Given the limited funds available to do what they managed to do, that was likely not even a possibility.

If you look at the history of Joe Robbie Stadium (Dolphins), it was specifically designed with baseball in mind.

When the Marlins actually played in it, however, they discovered several problems with it and, even after more tinkering, were still unhappy.

The idea of multi-sport stadia (especially football and baseball), has pretty much gone extinct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Rock_Stadium

From Wiki

Edited by spenser1058

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

If you look at the history of Joe Robbie Stadium (Dolphins), it was specifically designed with baseball in mind.

When the Marlins actually played in it, however, they discovered several problems with it and, even after more tinkering, were still unhappy.

The idea of multi-sport stadia (especially football and baseball), has pretty much gone extinct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Rock_Stadium

From Wiki

Trying to put two different shaped fields together inside one stadium is a problem nobody has come up with a satisfactory solution for.

If they could come up with a "Steimetz Hall" style solution where they use hydraulics and rails to move a portion of the stands out for baseball then back in for football, maybe that could work.

Of course it would probably cost almost as much as just building a separate stadium.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Can you show a single facility in the entire world where this functions well?  It's been tried over and over and over and over again.  I'm being 100% serious here.  If you can find one anywhere in the world where it functions well, please post it.

• YES - Some rectangle sports do a good job with each other.  You can play soccer (AKA world futbol), football (AKA Murika Foosball), Canadian football, field hockey, rugby, lacrosse, and the like on similar fields and they can go well together in stadiums.  They have to shorten, lengthen, widen, narrow, etc those marked fields in most cases, but they are all rectangles and as long as your field is good for the largest one, you're fine.  I think the largest field is Association Football (soccer) with 110m x 75m.
  • NO - Other rectangle sports like volleyball, tennis, ice hockey, swimming, badminton, etc don't really work because they are either too small (in a tournament style set of games, you could use multiples in a larger field, but in general that wouldn't work) or require special fields made of water, sand, or ice.
  • NO - Baseball and cricket don't really work because of their shape.

I don't really know how to say it better than Andy did, but can you enlighten us as to why the general answers to this topic seem to be eluding you?

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(sports_field)

I was just repeating or rewording what he said. I understand what he was teaching me. But with that said , if we can put a man on the moon and build buildings that contort, I’m sure we can build stadiums that contort to specific sport dimensions. Whether it’s economically feasible for a team, to expensive to build, or impractical can be debated another day. Thanks @AndyPok1

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe they're part of that downtown Port-a-Potty program.

I hope so, as I do not want this monstrosity to go up. <praying emoticon>

Uh-oh, now you’re in trouble. I believe it’s in  our bylaws that we are required to genuflect before any tall new building, no matter how hideous or whether it is good for the site, takes out trees or replaces a dignified old building.

BUILD WE MUST!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Just now, spenser1058 said:

Uh-oh, now you’re in trouble. I believe it’s in  our bylaws that we are required to genuflect before any tall new building, no matter how hideous or whether it is good for the site, takes out trees or replace a dignified old building.

BUILD WE MUST!

I live for and thrive on being in trouble.

Downvote the Zoi!!!!

db7.gif

• Haha 2