389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

Wasn't there a very tall tower proposed in this general area right before the last recession? Did that get FAA approval?

There was a proposal for a 40 story tower on the Central Station/X-Orlando parcel (formely known as the Pizzuti block) that never materialized, but it wasn't for height restrictions.

Though the initial design was scaled down from like 600'.

Well actually I don't know if it's technically considered to be in Orlando, but the StarFlyer is 450 feet, so that could be considered the tallest structure in Orlando now.

15 minutes ago, Dale said:

So it was total bull**** all along about height limits, handshake agreements with Suntrust, etc. ?

It had more to do with downtown Orlando's lack of traction ?

Someone earlier in this thread showed proof that certain areas of downtown are allowed to build over 500 feet and some parts west of I-4 have NO height limit.

In the FAA's perfect world, they'd rather have the height restrictions and play it safe. It is the government, however, so exceptions are always possible (that's called politics.) SunTrust got the ceiling moved in the Reagan administration to allow them to hit 441' and someone will eventually request an exception again. No one has gotten to the point of development to go through the required process again yet.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

So it was total bull**** all along about height limits, handshake agreements with Suntrust, etc. ?

It had more to do with downtown Orlando's lack of traction ?

probably.  saying we want a new tallest, means you have to have the business for it (if office), the right amount of rent asked (for projected construction costs & loan), and right design which goes to costs- the taller, the more expensive.  Is there even a market for Zoi?  I doubt it the way things are today.

so the height thing is bogus in that if there was a market for a new tallest but the FAA was really restricting it's construction, that means the market would have seen several buildings built at the 400' mark already (besides the ones already here).  Because that's not the case, there is no market for it here at the present time.

Case in point: Adventist and Darden could both have anchored two different office buildings that both could've been a new tallest downtown.  The Plaza could have been the tallest building in Florida had it been a single integrated tower instead of three.  I think the suburban office markets are too strong versus downtown.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I dont know if I'm on ignore for some people but I like to think this has a great shot due to the zoning heights for certain blocks. FAA will not be able to shoot everything down especially if reasonable.

why would you be on ignore?  did you piss someone off?

They have to go through ARB review first. Growthspotter article said that the developers and BB are currently preparing the report for preliminary review. Could see on next agenda. Typically it takes a few rounds of that before they approve. I would say at least 6 months out before they could start.

"The office/commercial allocation could potentially decrease as the project makes its way through the permitting process, he added. The initial application seeks the maximum amount allowed within the current entitlements.

If the city requires a commercial entitlement trade-off for the residential density, it's likely the building height would be more in line with the surrounding properties. The BoA tower is 409 feet, and the courthouse is 416 feet." 

http://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-orlando-41-story-tower-downtown-20180927-story.html

1 minute ago, AndyPok1 said:

Don't really care what height it is.  It's a boring building, but at an important corner.  I'd rather it not look like a blah Vue clone, but hey, whether its 250 ft or 500 ft, having it there is good for Orlando.  I guess?  

Could I be any more on the fence? ha

Andy for Senator when Bill Nelson retires!

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Don't really care what height it is.  It's a boring building, but at an important corner.  I'd rather it not look like a blah Vue clone, but hey, whether its 250 ft or 500 ft, having it there is good for Orlando.  I guess?  

Could I be any more on the fence? ha

I wouldn't place too much importance on that model. Likely just a generic place holder to show approximate height and width dimensions.

I’m pretty easy to to please...that, or I actually walk around downtown and don’t just look at the skyline on the evening news or postcards.   

Just give me buildings tall enough to create shade and ideally wind tunnels...good awnings for the Florida rain....and interesting lobbies/retail/windows....and I’ll be good!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I’m pretty easy to to please...that, or I actually walk around downtown and don’t just look at the skyline on the evening news or postcards.   

Just give me buildings tall enough to create shade and ideally wind tunnels...good awnings for the Florida rain....and interesting lobbies/retail/windows....and I’ll be good!

And a visor, too!

17 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

As long as a building is at least 20 stories I'm happy. It's a pretty low expectation that is usually met, so I'm not disappointed too often. That said, I wish downtown would get some taller buildings. If this 450 foot building gets built, it would shut me up for a few years. lol

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

And a visor, too!

I'm a hat man myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I agree that Orlando doesn't need supertall buildings. OTOH, a couple of 40 story towers ala Tampa would be nice. Coupla more in the 30 story range then after that, whatever. Just make them look good.

Not expecting thousand foot tall buildings in downtown Orlando. Hey, not a Debbie Downer. Just tempering my expectations.