389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

42 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'd like to have seen it go up on the Golden Sparrow site. 

I totally agree on both fronts. It could've been at a different parcel but who knows what the asking price was and the pedestal is totally unnecessary! I would say phase out the wide base and save the tree if that was a solution to having both. 

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

That sounds like an very oversimplified view of what results in densely built, cosmopolitan urban centers.

I'm pretty sure the main things are local area population size, business climate and the amount of alternative places for office space. I'm sure there are probably several other factors I didn't mention and local attitudes probably do have a place on the list, but it's a much more complex, intertwined dynamic than just that.

Downtown Orlando has never in its history been a really strong economic magnet like downtowns in other metro areas our size and even smaller.

I agree with this. There are a lot of factors of why Orlando can’t get any consistent development outside of the same generic 10 story towers.

And I also don’t like the Austin comparisons. If we want to compare, we should do it against our own state. Orlando is currently being bested by Tampa and even St. Pete in development. Hell, it’s only a matter of time before Fort Lauderdale, with more towers under construction, surpasses Orlando in urbanity.

The fact is, there just isn’t a high demand for towers in Orlando and Jacksonville, two of Florida’s largest cities, which is strange and leads me to think Orlando will never be a major metropolis, but just a more dense version of California’s Inland Empire. And hubbub about saving a random tree or NIMBYs protesting about a tower blocking their Lake Eola views or those wanting to scale back every single tower that gets proposed probably don’t help lol.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, for heaven’s sake, if all it takes to build a city are towers, then Lake Nona is perfect right? Now, we may have to start over a little further from the airport to build the towers as high as you want them , but since history doesn’t matter, it’ll just be easier to run the Backhoe over the palmettos and let ‘er rip! Y’all have no need for downtown at all.

btw, since a sense of place doesn’t matter, it’ll be just fine to let Tavistock pay for a new OMA out there also, right?

What’s also funny is how if we’re so afraid of the big time, how is it we went from not making the Top 50 MSA list at all in 1978 to #23 today, zooming past Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Jacksonville and ccuntlessvother cities? Somehow, that doesn’t compute.

Sorry, but this doesn’t mean that much. A large population doesn’t make a big time area. If so, Riverside CA would be an enormous city. San Antonio, Vegas, and Sacramento are right behind us, and no one is confusing them for large big time cities.

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

I agree with this. There are a lot of factors of why Orlando can’t get any consistent development outside of the same generic 10 story towers.

And I also don’t like the Austin comparisons. If we want to compare, we should do it against our own state. Orlando is currently being bested by Tampa and even St. Pete in development. Hell, it’s only a matter of time before Fort Lauderdale, with more towers under construction, surpasses Orlando in urbanity.

The fact is, there just isn’t a high demand for towers in Orlando and Jacksonville, two of Florida’s largest cities, which is strange and leads me to think Orlando will never be a major metropolis, but just a more dense version of California’s Inland Empire. And hubbub about saving a random tree or NIMBYs protesting about a tower blocking their Lake Eola views or those wanting to scale back every single tower that gets proposed probably don’t help lol.

Might not help, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Nothing we post on this forum has any effect whatsoever on growth or the success or failure of any proposed development anywhere.

What we are here, is basically the internet equivalent of a bunch of old ladies at a coffee klatsch or gathered at our backyard fences, nattering and gossiping about what's going on in the rest of the neighborhood.  

Nothing wrong with that, but at the same time, we shouldn't exaggerate our own importance or impact.

I'm really confused about why the logistics of a project like this matter in regard to where it's built-up.

But if we are doing that, I like this location because of the other projects around it happening. Livingston is hot right now from UCF dorm tower to Radius. It's also along the Lymmo line. Couldn't ask for much more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Musikprince said:

I totally agree on both fronts. It could've been at a different parcel but who knows what the asking price was and the pedestal is totally unnecessary! I would say phase out the wide base and save the tree if that was a solution to having both. 

The pedestal would be for parking garage. If it is too narrow, the cost skyrocket. 

Plenty of options. Plenty of videos, pinterest rabbit hole. Plenty of solutions. Could also get some advocacy and positive press and shine a light. Enlighten youth, scouts, conservancy groups, etc. Get it paid for. Call to action. And fun weekend project for a company. Then everyone is happy. Simple solution. Save the tree.

Edited by jgardnerucf
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

That feeling when you see that someone replied to a thread and you think there are some actual developments only to find out it’s just another joke or tree conversation.

9A32CC07-D758-40DD-9449-AB0F835A3DB9.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Flotex said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png this is so sad

Poor little fellas.....  :tw_bawling:

:hi:

• Haha 3

The +1.03 acre subject property, located within the Central Business District neighborhood, is north of E. Robinson St., west of N. Magnolia Ave., east of S. Orange Ave. and south of W. Livingston St. The applicant is requesting Master Plan approval for a mixed-use development comprised of 300 multi-family units, 10,000 sq. ft. of commercial and 88,000 sq. ft. of office. The request includes a density bonus of 91 units (291 du/ac).

The proposed height of 444 ft. yields a total AMSL structure height of 548.8 ft. The permitted airspace surface (AMLS) of 549 ft. for the site.

image.thumb.png.dd0c692d5c3b897768dcbe25fc76e451.png

image.thumb.png.61e897d8035790baa21ca0f267c9bedf.png

image.thumb.png.f11467b20d296b3c9cfa88ae19040e2b.png

image.thumb.png.4558eb18b4d96751b6b6cd24b3e5a896.png

image.thumb.png.2213a6781225a8712767bd4fed81b2ac.png

image.thumb.png.9acb80e333e7c10e731bc9965a161117.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim3167 said:

These appear to be the older renderings. I thought there was a new developer with revised plans coming.

These are the renderings pulled from the July 21, 2020 MPB Agenda.

I might be misinterpreting what's going on but it appears as if the developers proposed the tower to be 41-stories and 441' tall but the MPB is asking for it to be 39-stories and 429' so perhaps we are due for some new renderings. These same images appear on Baker Barrios' web site along with a caption stating that the building is to be 41-stories so yes, these renderings may be slightly outdated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flotex said:

It would be nice if this one, the Radisson tower, the Sparrow one and Church Street 2 get built.
4 medium size towers.... Orlando would look a little more like a real city
We'll see, I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Sparrow is already under construction, as Society Orlando. I’m more confident about Church street T2 than I am about the other 2.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Flotex said:

It would be nice if this one, the Radisson tower, the Sparrow one and Church Street 2 get built.
4 medium size towers.... Orlando would look a little more like a real city
We'll see, I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Bring in the Rays, build a downtown stadium with about 40k and now we're cooking!!