389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

20 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Cut down with no notice, like a premeditated hit. . . 

Somebody did that on purpose. 

I'm sorry if attention led to this. . . 

I did not expect that outcome from drawing attention to the tree. 

I just. . . 

Not your fault, you were trying to do the right thing. It was a noble effort. We probably know now why Andy was being skittish about the prospects.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I just. . . 

It was doomed from the beginning. 

If anything, we may have just hastened the inevitable.

It's a cold, heartless world when it comes to business and money.

No room for sentimentality. 

That's for us peons.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Now not only is he Bulldozer Buddy, now he’s Buzzsaw Buddy. Think about The Senator in Seminole County when it was destroyed by a drug addict. In this case, as has often been the case with Buddy and his Buddies, not a peep out of City Hall as several hundred years of history were leveled.

As usual, Hizzoner and his Real Estate Industrial Complex apologists say they had nothing to do with it and who cares anyway. It was just in the way of making money. Welcome to Orlando, The City Heartless.

Obviously I am in complete sympathy with you on the fate of the tree.... I being the one who first brought up the subject and started harping on it much to the annoyance of certain  members of the "Shut up about the damned tree already!!!" crowd, but this typical anti-Buddy hyperbole agenda isn't going to win any hearts and minds. Like whatsizname's "...little side jabs and... snarky, easily-offended, overly sensitive act... ", it's long ago gotten tiresome and I for one cannot understand why you can't just make the decision to stop injecting it into every subject every chance you get. Especially on such a somewhat sad (for some of us) occasion, where such exploitation of the situation is so uncalled for. I seriously doubt Buddy Dyer had anything to do with cutting down that tree. 

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I just. . . 

As I mentioned to spenser in my previous reply, I would share in any culpability that may or may not exist, for bringing up the subject to begin with.

But as I also opined, that tree was living on borrowed time anyway.

If we did anything, we just hastened it's destiny.

Nobody here's fault. 

• Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, Uncommon said:

Damn. Is there even anything currently proposed for the property? As far as I know, Zoi House is dead

https://www.bakerbarrios.com/2020/08/21/in-the-news-orlando-planning-board-gives-nod-to-downtown-skyscraper-near-courthouse/

It's just 388 North Orange. Won approval last year. 39 story tower.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Am I tripping? Isn’t 389 N Orange the new name/same project as Zoi House? I thought these projects were the same thing and that whatever it was now being called is effectively dead. I could be confusing lots though.

28 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Am I tripping? Isn’t 389 N Orange the new name/same project as Zoi House? I thought these projects were the same thing and that whatever it was now being called is effectively dead. I could be confusing lots though.

Same lot.  Zoi was 41 stories with more office space.

This was a revised plan for a 39 story tower with less office space and no longer being called Zoi House but 389 North. 

And that was the last information ever. 

33 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Same lot.  Zoi was 41 stories with more office space.

This was a revised plan for a 39 story tower with less office space and no longer being called Zoi House but 389 North. 

And that was the last information ever. 

Thank you, but for me it shall forever be Tree Killer Tower along with the Copper Whopper and The Refrigerator further south. Always remember what they did here.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jack said:

I doubt Dyer knew unless someone elevated it to him. Right or wrong its a staff level decision. 

Does this man EVER walk around in his own downtown? It’s part of the problem with him. “Management by wandering around” has long been a thing - see Walt Disney for just one example. If Bloomberg could ride the subway in NYC and Mayor Pete could get out in South Bend with Chasten, Buddy can spend time seeing what’s what in Orlando. That’s what his OPD bodyguard unit is for.

This also points out one of the problems with this administration. Buddy hired Bungalower’s founder (a onetime UP poster) to keep in touch with social media, among other things. However, Buddy creates these positions and their findings often never bubble up for reaction at the top. If it’s not an interest of his, it goes unnoticed. 

Everybody has blind spots and when you turn over leaders every eight years, the next man or woman up likely will have different priorities. When you have a mayor-and-council-for- life, though, the same things are ignored, often for decades. See Apopka.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Does this man EVER walk around in his own downtown? It’s part of the problem with him. “Management by wandering around” has long been a thing - see Walt Disney for just one example.

I for one have witnessed him do it........in a parade.

1 hour ago, jack said:

I doubt Dyer knew unless someone elevated it to him. Right or wrong its a staff level decision. 

Its not limited to Dyer.  My dad has fought that fight in Dr. Phillips over old growth oaks and their removal to put up billboards along Sand Lake Road.

2 minutes ago, codypet said:

I for one have witnessed him do it........in a parade.

Its not limited to Dyer.  My dad has fought that fight in Dr. Phillips over old growth oaks and their removal to put up billboards along Sand Lake Road.

In a parade doesn’t do it, because it distracts you from paying attention to much but the crowds.

In Dr. Phillips, I would expect that - it’s Ground Zero for local Republicans. In Orlando, we’re not supposed to have a DINO mayor anymore.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

Welcome to Orlando, where the developers rule. What’s even worse is  the hypocrisy of supposedly being a “Tree City, USA” community. 

deleted b/c of Tim3167

Edited by jrs2

23 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so...what went down faster?  a) this tree, b) the Jaymont Block, or c) the current vp?

So I’ve been on here since 2004 and things like this are really impacting what I get out of this site. I know I should just scroll on by but that is just plain offensive. I really wish there was some moderation on here to keep things on topic or at the very least not vulgar. Maybe I’m just too old for the joke but I just don’t see that as funny.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

So I’ve been on here since 2004 and things like this are really impacting what I get out of this site. I know I should just scroll on by but that is just plain offensive. I really wish there was some moderation on here to keep things on topic or at the very least not vulgar. Maybe I’m just too old for the joke but I just don’t see that as funny.

after all the BS mumbo jumbo we've had to hear over the past 4 years from the other side of the political spectrum and THAT offends you? pretty hypocritical. Everybody has spoofed H.U.H. on that topic but my comment was more geared towards the quick demo of the tree ala Jaymont and The Plaza midnight fiasco.  I've made so many crude remarks to Spenser in gest over the years and I've bitten my lip most of the time to where the ratio of remarks from the Left are roughly 4-1 against the right on issues of policy etc, and THAT little quip offends you.  You just made it political. 

Whatever.  If it's that offensive, I'll just moderate it myself and edit it out.  And it if really offends you, then you should delete your republication of it.  If you don't then you are doing exactly what I said you are doing and I make no apologies for your inability or unwillingness to see humor in a current events setting.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

after all the BS mumbo jumbo we've had to hear over the past 4 years from the other side of the political spectrum and THAT offends you? pretty hypocritical. Everybody has spoofed H.U.H. on that topic but my comment was more geared towards the quick demo of the tree ala Jaymont and The Plaza midnight fiasco.  I've made so many crude remarks to Spenser in gest over the years and I've bitten my lip most of the time to where the ratio of remarks from the Left are roughly 4-1 against the right on issues of policy etc, and THAT little quip offends you.  You just made it political. 

Whatever.  If it's that offensive, I'll just moderate it myself and edit it out.  And it if really offends you, then you should delete your republication of it.  If you don't then you are doing exactly what I said you are doing and I make no apologies for your inability or unwillingness to see humor in a current events setting.

It never ceases to amaze me how those on the right try to pretend Trump wasn't and isn't the crude, low-class grifter POS that he is.

Like he is just another politician who is hated for nothing more than his conservative positions.

What a load.

I know your parents must have raised most of you better than to act like Trump yourselves, but just because he switched his Democrat uniform for Republican, you all defend him no matter what kind of vile, trashy, often illegal behavior he engaged in, or how he thumbed his nose at the legal system of this country.

Whatever "BS mumbo jumbo" you Trump worshippers were subjected to over his one term, he brought it all on himself. 

Neither Biden nor Harris have ever openly mocked a reporter with MS in front of a crowd of rabid, drooling knuckledragger supporters like Trump did. 

Biden has never openly insulted and disrespected members of Congress, (including those in his own party) solely because they didn't lick his boots hard enough. 

Biden  never openly disparaged the sacrifice of a war hero and former POW like John McCain the way Trump did.

Biden never openly attempted to bribe a foereign leader to open a bogus investigation of a rival's family member right before an election by threatening to hold hostage, foreign aid that had already been approved by congress.

Etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum. 

And that's all not to even mention the 30,500+ documented lies, untruths, misstatements of fact etc., that Trump blatantly and shamelessly told while in office.

It's long past time for you people on the right to stop pretending Trump is a poor, innocent little victim who never did nuffin' wrong and is being unfairly picked on.

That's a load of BS and you know it as well as we do. 

And yeah.... the crude sex jokes about Harris are offensive even to someone like me who's almost impossible to offend.

That stuff is low class gutter trash just like Trump himself and certainly not appropriate for this forum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

According to the parks department, the developer did this without any consultation of the permitting department and with no regard for the process we were trying to have it moved. 

The main parks department director I was emailing, Andy Kittersley, sent me this response:

+++++

"The tree was removed illegally during the weekend. We knew nothing about this.

The owner had the tree removed without applying for a Tree Removal Permit,
and is now subject to a severe fine for the unpermitted removal of a Live Oak
larger than 60"DBH.
It won't bring the tree back, but it will likely be very expensive for him.

We are as upset about this as you are. I was working with a tree mover to
discuss the project of moving it.

Andy"
+++++

Not that it is going to bring it back. So stupid. 

Can't do anything about it now though. 
Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1