389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Just give me buildings tall enough to create shade and ideally wind tunnels...good awnings for the Florida rain....and interesting lobbies/retail/windows....and I’ll be good!

NOLA figured this one out in the 1700s. 

Why does it take so long everywhere else? Orlando’s climate is arguably the closest of any big FL city to NOLAs.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

NOLA figured this one out in the 1700s. 

Why does it take so long everywhere else? Orlando’s climate is arguably the closest of any big FL city to NOLAs.

Oh, well, at least we're not below sea level (unless the folks in The Villages keep electing climate change deniers...)

• Like 2

Just now, orange87 said:

You think we can stop the climate from changing?

Not if we deny it is. As to what you can do, talk to the Netherlands. You can't stop it, but you can slow it down via good stewardship (and no, not by propping up coal) and come up with ways to protect yourself from it like Holland and NYC are currently doing in partnership.

• Like 1

Just now, spenser1058 said:

Not if we deny it is. As to what you can do, talk to the Netherlands. You can't stop it, but you can slow it down via good stewardship (and no, not by propping up coal) and come up with ways to protect yourself from it like Holland and NYC are currently doing in partnership.

There's no denying that the climate on every planet in the universe is constantly changing. What is doubtful is that humans influence the Earth's climate in a substantial enough way (if at all) to warrant greatly altering how we all live our lives. If people want to believe in that and alter their own lives, fine. I just don't think it's fair to force other people to do it. I'm all for having renewable energy clean air/water and recycling etc. I actually consider myself an environmentalist. Where people lose me is when they say man influences the climate. I just don't see proof of that.

Note: Didn't mean to get off topic. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, orange87 said:

There's no denying that the climate on every planet in the universe is constantly changing. What is doubtful is that humans influence the Earth's climate in a substantial enough way (if at all) to warrant greatly altering how we all live our lives. If people want to believe in that and alter their own lives, fine. I just don't think it's fair to force other people to do it. I'm all for having renewable energy clean air/water and recycling etc. I actually consider myself an environmentalist. Where people lose me is when they say man influences the climate. I just don't see proof of that.

Note: Didn't mean to get off topic. Sorry.

The science community is generally united behind the belief that humans are impacting climate change on Earth.

Its not a political position (or at least it shouldn’t be).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

The science community is generally united behind the belief that humans are impacting climate change on Earth.

Its not a political position (or at least it shouldn’t be).

That statement is a little misleading. While the majority of scientists agree that man impacts climate, there is intense disagreement about the extent of the impact we're having. Also, science isn't a democracy. Something doesn't become more true if more people believe it. Most people used to believe the Earth was flat. And it's not political with me. If I see solid evidence that man substantially effects our climate, then I'll believe it.  But we have people trying to force others to greatly alter our lives. Heck, there are people saying people who deny climate change should go to jail. It's almost turned into a religion. And that really turns me off.

24 minutes ago, orange87 said:

That statement is a little misleading. While the majority of scientists agree that man impacts climate, there is intense disagreement about the extent of the impact we're having. Also, science isn't a democracy. Something doesn't become more true if more people believe it. Most people used to believe the Earth was flat. And it's not political with me. If I see solid evidence that man substantially effects our climate, then I'll believe it.  But we have people trying to force others to greatly alter our lives. Heck, there are people saying people who deny climate change should go to jail. It's almost turned into a religion. And that really turns me off.

I agree - science is not a democracy. You cannot simply vote out climate change because you’re a denier of it. 

But you are correct, back to Orlando’s new tallest.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I agree - science is not a democracy. You cannot simply vote out climate change because you’re a denier of it. 

I think you  completely missed his point. Almost everyone agrees the climate is changing on both sides, thats not where the disagreement is, so implying anyone is trying to vote out climate change or calling the other side deniers just because they don't believe people should be forced by threat of law to make changes that we don't even know the impact of.

I work with people on green industries, and deal with this topic a lot, and its hard to figure out the consequences of each law. As an example, we've been screaming better insulation and making homes airtight is better for the environment, we need to update the building code to make sure thats tested, and now we've done that. And it turns out thats not healthy for humans, we've made the homes and buildings too tight, so now that its in the building code this past year to test air leakage, part of it now is we need to bring in the hot, unconditioned outside air because the insulation we require works too well. You now see exhaust fans programmed to run 24 hours a day to blow in hot air/blow out cold air in the summer (and reverse in the winter) and fresh air intakes pulling in outside air. Even looking at what is considered huge disasters, such as the gulf oil spill, taught us a ton, turned out to not be as bad as even the best predictions, etc. One thing tons of scientists agree on is we don't know the impact of the climate change, we truly have no idea how much sea level will rise with different environmental changes, etc. The predictions are all over the place.

If we want to keep politics out of these topics (and I think we should) we can't keep throwing insults at one side and expecting no reaction from the other. Thats done pretty consistently here, all the implications that certain votes are "wrong", opposing opinions are "wrong",  etc. You can't have it both ways.

All this would be fine if it weren’t such a localized issue to the US while the rest of the world seems aligned to take action on man’s impact on climate change.

Also, I don’t recall a time when there wasn’t a healthy dose of political discourse on this forum. The insults you’re referring to — no idea.

Cult is a strong word. It denotes there’s no firm basis for a belief and I’m not sure how an argument can be made for global warming being a hoax, ploy, or sensationalism. Like, there’s straight up evidence that the earth’s climate is changing. Now, I have no idea if ordinary citizens on an individual basis can do enough to reverse the climate trends the world has been seeing in the last several hundred years, to @orange87‘s point. I absolutely do think major corporations, environmentalists, and world leaders can collectively affect the climate and make changes to curb the world’s temperature from rising too dramatically.

What’s a little alarming is that anyone can dispute that global warming is indeed occuring and mankind is very likely the cause. It honestly seems like a very simple equation. If anyone’s reason for not acquiescing to global warming is skepticism or conspiracies, well then nothing anyone says is going to matter. But for those willing to at least listen, there’s a WEALTH of resources, logical and empirical evidence, and sound reasoning for how and why our planet’s temperature rises every year.

• Thanks 3

On 9/28/2018 at 12:58 PM, spenser1058 said:

In the FAA's perfect world, they'd rather have the height restrictions and play it safe. It is the government, however, so exceptions are always possible (that's called politics.) SunTrust got the ceiling moved in the Reagan administration to allow them to hit 441' and someone will eventually request an exception again. No one has gotten to the point of development to go through the required process again yet.

I thought the medical building that has no legs actually put in a request for review to the FAA using two potential sites?

So the Business Journal the Orlando Business Journal that is his pure entertainment for me do to their often poorly written articles that have Bunches of errors or misleading information.

there is an article to be written that states that this project could cost 140 million dollars as proposed as41 stories.

The contradiction in the article suggests that the building would not pass for whatever reason and would be shot down two maybe 300feet and 350 feet.

says that the developers may just go smaller and eliminate some of the business class A business space due to Lincoln Properties building the current SunTrust Tower having another Second phase Tower with business space as well.

Personally I don't care if it's the tallest or whatever but I would like to see the city approve it as it's been proposed as.

the developers are attracted to the location due to UCF in the creative Village.

even if it is shot down we should start to see more projects ranging from mid rise to high rise residential pop up assuming the success of the creative Village is imminent with UCF moving downtown

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

So the Business Journal the Orlando Business Journal that is his pure entertainment for me do to their often poorly written articles that have Bunches of errors or misleading information.

there is an article to be written that states that this project could cost 140 million dollars as proposed as41 stories.

The contradiction in the article suggests that the building would not pass for whatever reason and would be shot down two maybe 300feet and 350 feet.

says that the developers may just go smaller and eliminate some of the business class A business space due to Lincoln Properties building the current SunTrust Tower having another Second phase Tower with business space as well.

Personally I don't care if it's the tallest or whatever but I would like to see the city approve it as it's been proposed as.

the developers are attracted to the location due to UCF in the creative Village.

even if it is shot down we should start to see more projects ranging from mid rise to high rise residential pop up assuming the success of the creative Village is imminent with UCF moving downtown

I'm all for as tall as they can get there but I sure would like to save that tree!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm all for as tall as they can get there but I sure would like to save that tree!

Regarding the height there is seeming to be all over the place but I do not know what trees anybody is talking about.

What I would love to see me is the Green Space next to Sky house be connected with whatever tree and green space you all apart and about if this project comes to life and they're just be like a trail of green spaces that are somewhat connected even if there's a road that splits up Parcells still I think having some green space with small what I like to call Patch parks would be awesome and beneficial for walkers. 

• Like 2