389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

Regarding the "Big Box" pedestal. This was also a sticking point in the ARB report, and the ARB tasked the architect to re-design the pedestal for the next review. 

"The Parking Podium – The nine-story blank walls of the east and south parking podium facades will loom over the much lower existing development on the same block. Therefore the exterior treatment of those facades needs to provide visual interest with a design that integrates the tower design with the podium design."

"The greatest concern of staff in the entire project is the east and south facades of the parking podium. Because of fire safety requirements these facades have no windows and no significant delineation. ARB staff is very concerned about the treatment of the east and south podium facades because the facades are 9-stories tall on a downtown block where the tallest surrounding building is only 3-stories tall and most are only a single story. The 9-story blank walls are going to be highly visible and are definitely going to need some significant or unique and creative treatment to make them an asset to the area and not a visual eyesore. The eastern portion of the parking garage podium along E. Livingston St. needs additional attention as well."

"Staff recommends continuing the storefront system farther down Livingston St. frontage."

We have not seen an updated design of what Baker Barrios came up with to address this yet. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spenser1058 said:

I think it’s across the street, right, JFW and dc?

Thanks, yeah, just looked  it up,  and its the big sprawling multi mid rise tower residential development directly west of the  Orange Co. Courthouse.  I agree, its a shame that a more iconic, more high profile building is not going in that site in that prominent position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otowntiger said:

Thanks, yeah, just looked  it up,  and its the big sprawling multi mid rise tower residential development directly west of the  Orange Co. Courthouse.  I agree, its a shame that a more iconic, more high profile building is not going in that site in that prominent position.

I’m just itching for both of these to get underway!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Urban25 said:

Ugh this is a 400 foot building why are they acting like it’s a real skyscraper, approve!!!! 

I think 40 stories is the dividing point between high rise and skyscraper, so this would probably qualify as a "scraper".

When you look at a rendering of it shown to scale compared to Zoi and BOA, it looks taller than just shown by itself.

zoi-house-1547.jpg

goldensparrow.png

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

What's wrong with the site currently chosen? It's a great site. 

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I think 40 stories is the dividing point between high rise and skyscraper, so this would probably qualify as a "scraper".

When you look at a rendering of it shown to scale compared to Zoi and BOA, it looks taller than just shown by itself.

zoi-house-1547.jpg

goldensparrow.png

Dude  none of orlando buildings are considered skyscrapers lets be real here 

JFW is correct that the traditionally accepted determination of a "skyscraper" is 40 stories, but I have also seen over 150  Meters or over 500 Feet tall used in conjunction with this, since floor heights differ from building to building. This building as designed is getting pretty close to that territory, but I don't know if I would quite consider it a skyscraper based on just height. I am interested to see what they end up doing with the crown on the new designs they submit to the ARB. If they do indeed put a spire on top, it will be very close to 150 M. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Urban25 said:

Dude  none of orlando buildings are considered skyscrapers lets be real here 

"Dude" I wasn't talking about any EXISTING Orlando buildings. I was talking about this PROPOSED building that, IF it goes up and IF it's 40 stories or more, then I THINK that it would qualify as a "skyscraper".

I could be wrong about that, but let's at least be clear about what we're talking about here.

• Like 2

Just now, dcluley98 said:

JFW is correct that the traditionally accepted determination of a "skyscraper" is 40 stories, but I have also seen over 150  Meters or over 500 feet tall also used in conjunction with this, since floor heights differ from building to building. This building as designed is getting pretty close to that territory, but I don't know if I would quite consider it a skyscraper based on just height. I am interested to see what they end up doing with the crown on the new designs they submit to the ARB. If they do indeed put a spire on top, it will be very close to 150 M. 

The main thing to keep in mind here, is that there is no law or steadfast rule about how the term can be used, at least maybe outside of architects' and structural engineers' offices or maybe in a court of law, where the distinction might be an issue. But in casual conversation, I think I could get away with calling this building (assuming it gets built) a skyscraper without causing an international incident or making the evening news. ;)

17 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What's wrong with the site currently chosen? It's a great site. 

To me personally, there are a couple of things I'd just as soon not sacrifice for it, when there was a huge parcel just caddy corner across the street where nothing would have to be razed.

Plus... I think that on the Golden Sparrow site, that 9 story parking pedestal might not be considered as much of a sticking point with the city because of it's proximity to BOA and the six story Crescent Central.

Just seems to me like it would be a better fit over there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

"Dude" I wasn't talking about any EXISTING Orlando buildings. I was talking about this PROPOSED building that, IF it goes up and IF it's 40 stories or more, then I THINK that it would qualify as a "skyscraper".

I could be wrong about that, but let's at least be clear about what we're talking about here.

I understand that, but if we still have to question whether or not a building is a skyscraper or not then... I just wish this could have been atleast 500 feet geesh 

14 hours ago, orange87 said:

Trying to look at this with a positive view, having the Golden Sparrow in front of Zoi House might add more "depth" for views from I-4. :dontknow:

I'd add that these projects would do a lot to draw the downtown demarkation line from OCB further north.  Bridging a bit the NQ and downtown areas.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Urban25 said:

I understand that, but if we still have to question whether or not a building is a skyscraper or not then... I just wish this could have been atleast 500 feet geesh 

Valid point, but a whole different discussion.

I doubt you'd get an argument from most of us, myself included, that Orlando doesn't have many impressively tall buildings, but that's a different matter, I think.

As for 500'... I'm part of that group who's OK with not having towers that tall, but would like to see a couple in the 400' - 450' range and a couple more in the 300' - 350' range. 

Personally, I'd really rather not see downtown Orlando get that big.

• Like 1

Disagree. I’d love at least one 600-footer. It would really make the skyline pop if there was some variance in the height of buildings. It always angers me that a city like Oklahoma City has an 800 foot skyscraper and a much bigger city like Orlando is scrapping over another 400-footer. Makes me sick I tell ya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I think the Skyplex Poler-coaster tower was proposed to approach 600'.  That would be pretty dang cool in the same area with the Eye and the Starflyer. I really like the new "skyline" on I-drive with those attractions, especially coming in on I-4 at night with the neon lights in full effect. The Poler-coaster tower would be a really cool addition, and that area can be a kind of defining skyline for Orlando as one of the theme-park/attraction capitals of the world.  I hope that will be our first 500'+ building. 

Is that the skyscraper coaster? Did that get scrapped? I haven’t heard anything about it in a couple years.

• Like 1