389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

26 minutes ago, UPSDAN said:

Zoi House and Medical City were only cleared by FAA to 444ft.

https://www.facebook.com/orlandosentinel/videos/917935525225614/

Sentinel Staff discussed FAA height restrictions for VAMC and Zoi House. Downtown development discussion start at approx 1:50 timestamp.

@ 5:28: VAMC is confident they will break ground this year, "there should be no doubt that we have financing in place, because we do."

Edited by nite owℓ

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

the FAA thing is such a ridiculous joke.  VMC's height is 444' as well.  There is another reason they won't go taller than that.

As I understand it, the FAA height restriction is not uniform across the entire downtown area. The further away from the Herndon takeoff and landing path you go, the taller the buildings that are allowed. 

Personally, I'm not all that enthusiastic about Zoi House. Too massive and requires too much collateral demolition. I'd like to see something with a smaller footprint there and if that requires a shorter tower, I wouldn't mind. 

IMO, Zoi House as designed would be a better fit across the street where Golden Sparrow is supposed to go. Golden Sparrow should be up north of Colonial somewhere. 

Or in another city altogether.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 10:58 AM, JFW657 said:

As I understand it, the FAA height restriction is not uniform across the entire downtown area. The further away from the Herndon takeoff and landing path you go, the taller the buildings that are allowed. 

Personally, I'm not all that enthusiastic about Zoi House. Too massive and requires too much collateral demolition. I'd like to see something with a smaller footprint there and if that requires a shorter tower, I wouldn't mind. 

IMO, Zoi House as designed would be a better fit across the street where Golden Sparrow is supposed to go. Golden Sparrow should be up north of Colonial somewhere. 

Or in another city altogether.

Agreed. I don't like the concrete bunker look it has for the first 1/3rd of the building at all. And if it's being designed with the intention of being the tallest building in downtown, it doesnt' really seem to fit the skyline in that position and I think would get lost behind the BoA bldg. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 4:32 PM, Jernigan said:

Good news - I posted a week or two ago that X Orlando and Orange/Robinson we’re moving through permitting but that Zoi was quiet.

On 10/11 their prescreen approval for the ARB was approved.   Stats seem the same for now for units and commercial space.  

“Zoi House” isn’t on the project name, just the address.  Could mean nothing.

huh?  10/11  .... Are you from the future?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I’m surprised no one has started a forum about this yet. Orlando/Orange County has something which Pinellas or Hillsborough (or Charlotte/Mecklenburg or Nashville/Davidson) don’t have: a giant pot of money from the tourist development tax which could probably help build what the Rays owners want. The other difference: Pat Williams is stirring the pot. Anyone who lived in Orlando in the 1980’s (raises hand) will remember how hard he worked to build grassroots support for a team naysayers said couldn’t happen. He was at every pot luck dinner eating fried chicken off of paper plates for years; I remember him showing up at the tiny church I used to attend. Might he make magic again after 30 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, jliv said:

I’m surprised no one has started a forum about this yet. Orlando/Orange County has something which Pinellas or Hillsborough don’t have: a giant pot of money from the tourist development tax which could probably help build what the Rays owners want. The other difference: Pat Williams is stirring the pot. Anyone who lived in Orlando in the 1980’s (raises hand) remembers how hard he worked to build grassroots support for a team naysayers said couldn’t happen. Might he make magic again after 30 years?

So, you want to waste TDT money for a sport that has failed in the two larger Florida MSAs and which has had even less support at the minor league level here than in either of those areas (even Disney couldn’t put lipstick on that pig.)

And the Pied Piper who is going to bring it about is an 80-year old man trying to relive past glories in a Hawaiian shirt. Because that worked so well when Bob Snow tried to resurrect Church Street Station.

Thanks, but I’ll pass on that rather dubious bet.

Is Orlando EVER going to move on and get some fresh talent? Retread politicians and retread entrepreneurs. It’s like we’re stuck in an endless rerun of Cocoon or the Geezer Zombie Apocalypse. 

Edited by spenser1058

So, you want to use TDT money for a sport that has failed in the two larger Florida MSAs and which has had even less support at the minor league level here than in either of those areas (even Disney couldn’t put lipstick on that pig.)

And the Pied Piper who is going to bring it about is an 80-year old man trying to relive past glories in a Hawaiian shirt. Because that worked so well when Bob Snow tried to resurrect Church Street Station.

Thanks, but I’ll pass on that rather dubious bet.

Is Orlando EVER going to move on and get some fresh talent? Retread politicians and retread entrepreneurs. It’s like we’re stuck in an endless rerun of Cocoon or the Geezer Zombie Apocalypse. 

Not sure where you read “want” anywhere in my initial post. I’m simply suggesting this might have some legs...(and it’s a completely legitimate and interesting topic to discuss outside of the endless meme posting this entire message board has devolved into).

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jliv said:

Not sure where you read “want” anywhere in my initial post. I’m simply suggesting this might have some legs...(and it’s a completely legitimate and interesting topic to discuss outside of the endless meme posting this entire message board has devolved into).

You're gonna have to excuse Spenser. This topic was discussed at length in another thread, and it appears to be very triggering to him.

• Like 1