389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

Bulldozer Buddy is such a fan of baseball that he destroyed the coty’s historic home of spring training and minor league baseball with almost no notice.

”Baseball fanatic” Pat Williams uttered nary a peep when  it happened.

Where has “Mr.Baseball”’s efforts to build a successful minor league team in Orlando to demonstrate our interest in the sport been these last 30 years or so?

*cough* Nowhere. *cough*

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

You're gonna have to excuse Spenser. This topic was discussed at length in another thread, and it appears to be very triggering to him.

I always excuse different opinions, and I invite them (even though there was no opinion anywhere in the original post), but I won’t excuse uninteresting online rants. That’s the joy of “ignore” features on social media. I like my online conversations a little more measured and thoughtful, and I’m fine with an echo chamber full of calmer voices. FYI I totally agree with the issues the poster has with Pat Williams. Opinion: civic leadership is dreadful, and Pat’s purposes would’ve been much better served tapping into his vast Rolodex/iPhone contact list to find a better public face. And, that logo! Lol https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/mlb-fans-orlando-dreamers-fan-reaction-pat-williams-baseball

Interestingly, the Florida State League team with the best attendance is Clearwater, with 182,000 fans in 2018.

Keep in mind, this is a team in the same county (Pinellas) that supposedly doesn’t support baseball because of low attendance for the Rays.

So we’re going to move baseball to Orlando which hasn’t had minor league baseball for years and just lost the spring training team (Atlanta) they had (which played at a field supported by Disney, not Orlando).

Maybe I’m missing something, but Orlando doesn’t seem to have baseball fever.

I think the Orlando Wizards would be more appropriate then the Orlando Dreamers. The name Wizards plays well with the Magic. Also instead  of starting from scratch, it is probably better to poach the team from Tampa.

1. There is already a fan base. Albeit a tiny fan base but it can be expanded on.
2. They could follow the Orlando city model that taps into the 75million tourists that visit our city. Tampa can’t boast 75 million visitors. Imagine getting 2 percent of those 75 million to visit a ball game that’s 1.5 million from tourists alone.

3. Plus a modest market in Orlando.

Those 3 factors can realistically push attendance into 2million  ppl a year.  It also cannot be understated how important it will be to place a baseball stadium in downtown Orlando with access to public transit. Apparently the biggest issue the Rays have with attendance is that the ball park is isolated and difficult to get to. Camping World Stadium is easy access and close to public transit. I may not be the biggest baseball fan but I do enjoy a good game. With modest support this could work if given a chance.

• Like 1

Oh for sure.  If there was a downtown-ish baseball team, I'd go at least once a month.  I went to numerous Double-A Tulsa Drillers games when I could walk there.  It's a lovely way to spend an evening.  There's something nicer about wasting 3 hours BSing with friends outdoors rather than indoors at an NBA game.

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I think the Orlando Wizards would be more appropriate then the Orlando Dreamers. The name Wizards plays well with the Magic. Also instead  of starting from scratch, it is probably better to poach the team from Tampa.

1. There is already a fan base. Albeit a tiny fan base but it can be expanded on.
2. They could follow the Orlando city model that taps into the 75million tourists that visit our city. Tampa can’t boast 75 million visitors. Imagine getting 2 percent of those 75 million to visit a ball game that’s 1.5 million from tourists alone.

3. Plus a modest market in Orlando.

Those 3 factors can realistically push attendance into 2million  ppl a year.  It also cannot be understated how important it will be to place a baseball stadium in downtown Orlando with access to public transit. Apparently the biggest issue the Rays have with attendance is that the ball park is isolated and difficult to get to. Camping World Stadium is easy access and close to public transit. I may not be the biggest baseball fan but I do enjoy a good game. With modest support this could work if given a chance.

I hate the name "Dreamers."  I know it's a concept name, but it sucks.  Call them the Rockets or Orbiters or Satellites and play off the Space Coast history.

Personally I think it's a ploy to get the Rays.

I don't think they would host MLB at CWS or next to it.  I think they would attempt to build closer to Amway, or, at the OCCC.

• Like 1

Baseball’s so popular in Orlando we go watch the Orlando Twins AA team in the Southern League at least once a week in the summer at Tinker Field!

Oh, wait, that’s when I was 8.

What MiLB team plays at Tinker Field now?

*crickets*

What? The nearest teams are in Lakeland and Daytona? 

I love City Island Park! Oh, wait, MLB wants to close them down next year? Darn.

Didn’t Atlanta have a farm team in Kissimmee? What’s that? They’re changing that field to soccer?

Gosh! We love baseball in Orlando!

13 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

That was a crappy joke. Keep your politics out of a baseball discussion.

Spenser injects his politics in nearly every discussion. How do you think I knew he's a liberal? Many people have asked him kindly to stop and he still does it constantly. Not that I owe you an explanation. Mind your own business.

Edited by orange87
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Baseball’s so popular in Orlando we go watch the Orlando Twins AA team in the Southern League at least once a week in the summer at Tinker Field!

Oh, wait, that’s when I was 8.

What MiLB team plays at Tinker Field now?

*crickets*

What? The nearest teams are in Lakeland and Daytona? 

I love City Island Park! Oh, wait, MLB wants to close them down next year? Darn.

Didn’t Atlanta have a farm team in Kissimmee? What’s that? They’re changing that field to soccer?

Gosh! We love baseball in Orlando!

... You know without me saying that Orlando when you were 8 is a MASSIVELY different place than it is today.  Hell, it's a massively different place from when I was 8 until now.  There's absolutely enough population to support an MiLB team in an urban environment these days.  Having an MiLB team I have to drive 45-75 minutes to?  Yeah, no.

• Thanks 1

Minor league baseball is trash anyway. I have zero interest in attending or supporting any minor league team, even one based in Orlando. But if an MLB team relocated, I’d go to at least 1 game a month, maybe more. I don’t think there’s any correlation between Orlando’s failed minor league history (years ago when our population was close to half of what it is today) and its ability to support a major league franchise today. Contrary to most people, I think MLB would do pretty well here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

... You know without me saying that Orlando when you were 8 is a MASSIVELY different place than it is today.  Hell, it's a massively different place from when I was 8 until now.  There's absolutely enough population to support an MiLB team in an urban environment these days.  Having an MiLB team I have to drive 45-75 minutes to?  Yeah, no.

My point is that in all those intervening years, baseball has never taken hold in Central Florida. It didn't move the needle for tourists ON Disney property. There is this massive belief everything will be different here when in fact we are less supportive of baseball than Tampa Bay has been. There's a massive disconnect I don't understand, hard as I am trying to do so.

1 minute ago, Uncommon said:

Minor league baseball is trash anyway. I have zero interest in attending or supporting any minor league team, even one based in Orlando. But if an MLB team relocated, I’d go to at least 1 game a month, maybe more. I don’t think there’s any correlation between Orlando’s failed minor league history (years ago when our population was close to half of what it is today) and its ability to support a major league franchise today. Contrary to most people, I think MLB would do pretty well here.

Based on what evidence, please?

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

My point is that in all those intervening years, baseball has never taken hold in Central Florida. It didn't move the needle for tourists ON Disney property. There is this massive belief everything will be different here when in fact we are less supportive of baseball than Tampa Bay has been. There's a massive disconnect I don't understand, hard as I am trying to do so.

Based on what evidence, please?

Call it a hunch based on personal anecdote. 
Some people simply do not care about amateur sports, and therefore a comparison to top-of-the-line professional sport is apples and oranges. I would go to every single NFL game if a team was based here, but I never even considered watching this AAF nonsense on tv, let alone going to watch in person. If it’s not big-league, it’s a pass for me. I don’t know if many people feel this way, but at least some do, and couple that with the 100 million visitors to our region and I have plenty of reason to ascertain baseball might work here.

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Think about how we got an MLS team. We showed interest for several years based on the minor league team. MLB is likely to go about it in a similar fashion unless there's some sort of emergency with an existing team.

Isn’t that what the much-maligned Pat Williams is trying to do? Rally interest in hopes of luring a team here? It worked with the Magic, although under slightly different circumstances. Just because you don’t agree with his personal stances doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a plan that can one day come to fruition. At the very LEAST, Orlando is in a national conversation on the possibility of MLB with Portland and Charlotte and Austin that they assuredly weren’t in last year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

It is my business when u put on blast for everyone to read u d#%^kweed. If u don’t want ppl to opine let me suggest to take it to a private chat. Better yet go poof and don’t come back to our URBAN blog.

What I say to Spenser has to pass through you first? Do you realize how g@y that sounds? Why don't YOU go poof internet tough guy?

Edited by orange87

Tough guy definitely not,  but definitely fed up with intolerance. Your claiming private conversation but u put your conversation for everyone to read in a forum that everyone opines on. What do expect will happen? Just keep your intolerance in check or in the closet and continue to opine in a manner that everyone enjoys. If u can’t do that then Alabama is about a 4 1/2 hour drive away you’ll find more like minded ppl there. 

• Like 1