Downtown Orlando Tallest Buildings (Meters/Feet)

idroveazamboni

28 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I've never understood why condos have HOAs. There's basically no exterior of condos to be maintained, and the common areas are just basically gyms. So $400/month to make sure people wipe down the gym equipment when they're done or make sure people don't hang towels on their balconies? I don't get it.

Also, pools.  Parking Garages. 

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

roof of the building; modernization; security; liability insurance; window washing; painting the building exterior/ hallways; changing out carpet in common areas; etc., etc.

All kinds of repairs that need doing. And if your condo has grass, trees, shrubbery and planter areas, there's the groundskeeping and maintenance. Pest control. The list could go on and on.

Did anyone mention security?

• Like 1

On top of what everyone else said, many condos also include water in the HOA, plumbing to your unit from outside of the unit is often covered along with sewage anywhere beyond the walls of your unit, fire sprinklers along with fire inspections tend to be very expensive, trash for condos is typically HOA and not in property taxes (or at least you don't get anything for the "trash" property tax you pay), elevators along with their maintenance, electricity and maintenance of lighting inside and around the building including any pumps, etc. Generally a condo owner is responsible from their bordering drywall to their bordering drywall, once you get outside of that, its the HOA.

As far as the loans, new construction of not super expensive luxury condos is rare and near impossible for developers since the Obama mortgage reform went into place. While they can still give FHA loans for single family, for condos, in order to qualify for FHA and its reduced down payments, (from memory so some percentages might be slightly off) they need to sell over half the units before anyone can buy with the reduced down payment, 50% of the units must be sold with a owner occupancy requirement, and no more then 10% can be owned by anybody, including any investor or the developer, and the project must be substantially completed now (instead of just needing to be completed to close). So if you're looking at buying a new $300,000 condo downtown, you need to put down $60,000 but if you're buying a $300,000 new home you only need $10,500 (and if you're further out like much of Lake County, they have the 0% down loans). This is why we typically don't see any large condo projects anymore that aren't super-luxury where they're getting bought by the super-wealthy or investment groups (like much of Miami). They either need to end the FHA (and USDA) loan subsidies or make them work for condos again so they're on a fair playing field.

• Like 2

$400/m, try north of $950 for the what is considered the two top condos in downtown, more if you are the penthouse. But then again nobody feels bad for the penthouse owner eh? lol. There is so much more than just common areas. A condo building is basically a business and has to be run as such. It's very time consuming for the board to balance the budget.

Edited by Jvest55
typo

Our HOA  fees also cover the boiler for the entire community (i.e. both hot and cold water included) and OUC's chilled water (for cooling individual units) -- their rates are not cheap. I believe HOA fees at Star Tower are around 900+ month for regular non-penthouse units. They also have a concierge service that is capable of handling out of the ordinary requests (so I've heard).

On average, I'd say HOA fees are around 0.45 cents/sq ft.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

On 10/1/2018 at 9:29 AM, idroveazamboni said:

3.2808  3.2808 Meters to Feet
  Building Meters      Year    Meters         Feet    
1 SunTrust Center 134 m 1988 134 440    
2 The Vue at Lake Eola 130 m 2007 130 427    
3 Orange County Courthouse 127 m 1997 127 417    
4 Bank of America Center 123 m 1988 123 404    
5 55 West on the Esplanade 115 m 2008 115 377    
6 Solaire at the Plaza 109 m 2006 109 358    
7 One Eleven 109 m 2008 109 358    
8 Citi Tower 89 m 2017 89 292    
9 Modera Central 85 m 2018 85 279    
10 Citrus Center 85 m 1971 85 279    
11 The Waverly on Lake Eola ≈85 m 2001 85 279    
12 Premiere Trade Plaza Office Tower II 84 m 2006 84 276    
13 Regions Bank Tower ≈81 m 1986 81 266    
14 530 East Central Condominiums ≈78 m 1985 78 256    
15 SkyHouse Orlando 76 m 2013 76 249    
16 CNL Center I 76 m 1999 76 249    
17 Westminster Towers ≈74 m 1975 74 243    
18 One Orlando Centre ≈74 m 1987 74 243    
19 Capital Plaza II 70 m 1999 70 230    
20 The Sanctuary ≈70 m 2005 70 230    
21 Park Lake Towers ≈66 m 1973 66 217    
22 The Fountains at Orlando Lutheran Towers ≈66 m 1979 66 217    
23 Signature Plaza 63 m 1982 63 207    
24 The Paramount on Lake Eola ≈62 m 2008 62 203    
25 The Star ≈62 m 2007 62 203    
26 Wells Fargo Tower ≈62 m 1983 62 203    
27 Gateway Center ≈62 m 1989 62 203    
28 Southern Community Bank Building ≈62 m 1965 62 203

8th largest now is Suntrust building at Church Street @ 315 FT.  

Edited by idroveazamboni
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGolfFather said:

Many of you will disagree but if it were possible I would transplant Jacksonville's Bank of America tower to DT Orlando, specifically the corner of Orange and Central where Tier Nightclub is. That shape and height would have a dramatic effect on the skyline and create a beautifully symmetrical tiered layout downtown.  Just one 600' tower is all I dream of. The rest can all be 350' visor wearing boxes for all I care.

I think that building is pretty darn fugly and best I remember it has a significant parking structure that would be hard to squeeze in, but I'll agree it would have a dramatic effect on the skyline. Ugly or not, I'd take it.

Speaking of Orange and Central, the decorative overhang is no more. They have removed the Orange portion and looks like they'll have the Central side done today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I think that building is pretty darn fugly and best I remember it has a significant parking structure that would be hard to squeeze in, but I'll agree it would have a dramatic effect on the skyline. Ugly or not, I'd take it.

Speaking of Orange and Central, the decorative overhang is no more. They have removed the Orange portion and looks like they'll have the Central side done today.

I've always liked that building, looks are subjective, but I feel it would fit so well here.

This just shows how pathetic Orlando's height is compared to lowly JAX...

JAXboainORL.PNG

orlJAXboa.PNG

Edited by TheGolfFather
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, TheGolfFather said:

I've always liked that building, looks are subjective, but I feel it would fit so well here.

This just shows how pathetic Orlando's height is compared to lowly JAX...

JAXboainORL.PNG

orlJAXboa.PNG

Thankfully, we’ll be keeping Orlando’s proudest department store and an anchor to the Jack Kazanzas star rather than a monument to an alcoholic banker who killed Florida’s iconic bank.

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2011/10/ivey-of-orlando.html?m=1

From Live Malls

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/11/17/orlandos-jack-kazanzas-christmas-star-comes-to-downtown-this-weekend?media=AMP+HTML

From Orlando Weekly

Perhaps the greatest irony is that Jacksonville, infamous for leveling blocks of their downtown only to replace them with vacant lots, has preserved their flagship department store building as City Hall:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Building

From Wiki

Edited by spenser1058

I’m always amazed by those who want to tear down historic structures beloved by many, only to be replaced with boring, generic towers.

Perhaps the most famous example is Southern Bell Center in midtown Atlanta. When plans were underway for its construction, they wanted to tear down the (Fabulous) FOX Theatere (it was the world premiere site for Disney’s “Song of the South” in 1946) for a freaking parking garage.

Thankfully, Atlantans, who had just the premiere site of “Gone With the Wind” downtown, rallied to save the Fox.

Thankfully, they were successful. The result? Today the Fox is a cornerstone of activity in midtown and what is now AT&T, long since eclipsed by newer, shinier talls in the cityscape, is mostly ignored by everyone.

But the fanboys persist and think a building 20’ taller than the last will matter to much of anyone once it’s built. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Theatre_(Atlanta)

From Wiki

11 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Well it is over 600 ft. So if you like that sort of thing they have us beat.

Which sort of proves the point. Jacksonville has tall buildings and a dead downtown. Ours is shorter but is one of the most vibrant cores in the South. 

Edited by spenser1058

24 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

So why would we want to compete with lowly Jax?

Orlando when it comes to Building height as this thread States is sixth in the state. If you actually throw in Sunny Isles and Miami Beach then Orlando is even lower on that list for having short buildings. 

Matter of fact the tallest structure in Orange County as it currently stands that's not a radio tower is taller than our tallest building. 

It's nothing to brag about. Orlando does not have at all downtown. Has a nice collection of buildings and somehow someway the masses of them look pretty cool from the interstate but Fort Lauderdale in St Petersburg are out doing Us in height

7 hours ago, TheGolfFather said:

Many of you will disagree but if it were possible I would transplant Jacksonville's Bank of America tower to DT Orlando, specifically the corner of Orange and Central where Tier Nightclub is. That shape and height would have a dramatic effect on the skyline and create a beautifully symmetrical tiered layout downtown.  Just one 600' tower is all I dream of. The rest can all be 350' visor wearing boxes for all I care.

That building Works where it is because Jacksonville has Bridges and rivers so the color contrast offsets usually in a skyscraper shot or Skyline shot that building would not work in Orlando in my opinion but I like the idea

On 10/1/2018 at 9:29 AM, idroveazamboni said:

3.2808  3.2808 Meters to Feet
  Building Meters      Year    Meters         Feet    
1 SunTrust Center 134 m 1988 134 440    
2 The Vue at Lake Eola 130 m 2007 130 427    
3 Orange County Courthouse 127 m 1997 127 417    
4 Bank of America Center 123 m 1988 123 404    
5 55 West on the Esplanade 115 m 2008 115 377    
6 Solaire at the Plaza 109 m 2006 109 358    
7 One Eleven 109 m 2008 109 358    
8 Citi Tower 89 m 2017 89 292    
9 Modera Central 85 m 2018 85 279    
10 Citrus Center 85 m 1971 85 279    
11 The Waverly on Lake Eola ≈85 m 2001 85 279    
12 Premiere Trade Plaza Office Tower II 84 m 2006 84 276    
13 Regions Bank Tower ≈81 m 1986 81 266    
14 530 East Central Condominiums ≈78 m 1985 78 256    
15 SkyHouse Orlando 76 m 2013 76 249    
16 CNL Center I 76 m 1999 76 249    
17 Westminster Towers ≈74 m 1975 74 243    
18 One Orlando Centre ≈74 m 1987 74 243    
19 Capital Plaza II 70 m 1999 70 230    
20 The Sanctuary ≈70 m 2005 70 230    
21 Park Lake Towers ≈66 m 1973 66 217    
22 The Fountains at Orlando Lutheran Towers ≈66 m 1979 66 217    
23 Signature Plaza 63 m 1982 63 207    
24 The Paramount on Lake Eola ≈62 m 2008 62 203    
25 The Star ≈62 m 2007 62 203    
26 Wells Fargo Tower ≈62 m 1983 62 203    
27 Gateway Center ≈62 m 1989 62 203    
28 Southern Community Bank Building ≈62 m 1965 62 203

The dates of completion of some of these projects are wrong.  For starters, I saw The Sactuary U/C from the deck of The Plaza.  Some of these numbers and dates are way off.

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Orlando when it comes to Building height as this thread States is sixth in the state. If you actually throw in Sunny Isles and Miami Beach then Orlando is even lower on that list for having short buildings. 

Matter of fact the tallest structure in Orange County as it currently stands that's not a radio tower is taller than our tallest building. 

It's nothing to brag about. Orlando does not have at all downtown. Has a nice collection of buildings and somehow someway the masses of them look pretty cool from the interstate but Fort Lauderdale in St Petersburg are out doing Us in height

That building Works where it is because Jacksonville has Bridges and rivers so the color contrast offsets usually in a skyscraper shot or Skyline shot that building would not work in Orlando in my opinion but I like the idea

Orlando’s downtown is incredible but its skyline is embarrassing for a city of its size. I liken it to having a flashy car with a spotty repair history to a very reliable car that will never turn any heads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, Uncommon said:

Orlando’s downtown is incredible but its skyline is embarrassing for a city of its size. I liken it to having a flashy car with a spotty repair history to a very reliable car that will never turn any heads.

...which goes back to a point I had made a while back about how Orlando is not that big (city proper) versus the metro.  It is reflected in the size of its downtown.  So, with that in mind it is right where it should be.

people will disagree with me, but just look at cities with larger city proper populations like Jax, Tampa, Louisville, Nashville, Cleveland, New Orleans, Cinci, Indy, and the like---and I'm not talking about NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, SF, etc.  I'm talking about cities whose metros are on par with Orlando's metro in population but who's city populations are much larger--each of their respective downtowns are larger and taller than Orlando's.  Also, those cities are also older than Orlando.

As a result, Orlando's skyline is shorter than those other cities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

...which goes back to a point I had made a while back about how Orlando is not that big (city proper) versus the metro.  It is reflected in the size of its downtown.  So, with that in mind it is right where it should be.

people will disagree with me, but just look at cities with larger city proper populations like Jax, Tampa, Louisville, Nashville, Cleveland, New Orleans, Cinci, Indy, and the like---and I'm not talking about NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, SF, etc.  I'm talking about cities whose metros are on par with Orlando's metro in population but who's city populations are much larger--each of their respective downtowns are larger and taller than Orlando's.  Also, those cities are also older than Orlando.

As a result, Orlando's skyline is shorter than those other cities.

Makes sense. Orlando is one of the newest larger metro areas in the US. Most of these other cities are at least 50 years older. 

Something I never really thought about is how tiny Orlando proper population is versus metro area. Of the top 30 metro areas, Orlando has the lowest city proper population of any principal city. I always thought it was because of the wonky city limits/borders but it really isn’t. Orlando is like 120th in the US in density. Boise, Idaho is more dense than Orlando for god’s sake. The truth is, Orlando punches FAR above its weight, but it’s just a medium-sized city. Thus, it has a medium-sized skyline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Makes sense. Orlando is one of the newest larger metro areas in the US. Most of these other cities are at least 50 years older. 

Something I never really thought about is how tiny Orlando proper population is versus metro area. Of the top 30 metro areas, Orlando has the lowest city proper population of any principal city. I always thought it was because of the wonky city limits/borders but it really isn’t. Orlando is like 120th in the US in density. Boise, Idaho is more dense than Orlando for god’s sake. The truth is, Orlando punches FAR above its weight, but it’s just a medium-sized city. Thus, it has a medium-sized skyline.

Cities in the West tend to be relatively dense. Why? Two major reasons: one are the mountains. The other is that federal and state government ownership of so much land provide the same sort of limits that water and the Everglades do to Miami.

Conversely, Orlando has very few restrictions (wags have called it “The City without limits” for years) which means that very little has been in the way to curb development (and even less as the government in Tallahassee has eviscerated the growth management statutes systematically over the past two decades).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1