Downtown Orlando Tallest Buildings (Meters/Feet)

idroveazamboni

25 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

That picture makes me want to puke.  That is not how city limits should look.

Yeah I wish the city would just annex the Sky Lake and Pine Castle areas to make it a little bit more rounded. That would probably add a couple thousand residents too.

EDIT: In reality, the borders should go as far south as Hunter’s Creek and as far east as Avalon Park or even Wedgefield. Everyone I know and everyone I know that lives in these areas refers to it as Orlando.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

I wonder how that density number looked before (or without) the annexation of Lake Nona. It's a HUGE swath of land with very low density.  Combined, Lake Nona and the airport take up almost the same amount of space as the rest of the city.

limits.PNG.3bc5eb722ecdffcb1ea0f6e63ed3bfb3.PNG

If the Convention Center and associated hotels were downtown, as is the case in most cities, we'd have a much different skyline.

agreed.

The room generation a CC creates of that magnitude is incredible.  Look at NOLA and those tall towers of Marriott and Sheraton et al.  Also, in LA, the LA Live complex with JW and Ritz are adjacent to their CC.

Volusia was smart.  The Ocean Center was built right on A1A, the tourist strip, in Daytona.  Oddly enough, Orange did a similar thing with the OC Civic Center back in, what, 1984-85, when they put it on I-Drive?  maybe they copied the Volusia model when they maybe should've placed more clout on the CBD like Atlanta and Chicago did.  Who knows...

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

agreed.

The room generation a CC creates of that magnitude is incredible.  Look at NOLA and those tall towers of Marriott and Sheraton et al.  Also, in LA, the LA Live complex with JW and Ritz are adjacent to their CC.

Volusia was smart.  The Ocean Center was built right on A1A, the tourist strip, in Daytona.  Oddly enough, Orange did a similar thing with the OC Civic Center back in, what, 1984-85, when they put it on I-Drive?  maybe they copied the Volusia model when they maybe should've placed more clout on the CBD like Atlanta and Chicago did.  Who knows...

I don't think they would have been able to get as much square footage if it was actually downtown, and without the square footage, we wouldn't be consistently within the top 3 in the country.

3 minutes ago, W7edwin said:

They don’t want lower middle class neighborhoods. I’m surprised Belle Isle is not part of the city since that’s want they rather have 

Unless he’s moved, former OC Mayor Rich Crotty lives in Belle Isle and I suspect he’d rather eat glass than live in The City Beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Property owners have to agree to be annexed into the city. Cities often (but not always - in Windermere, for example, tax millages have often been lower than OC’s - of course, that gets you a lousy police department and dirt streets but many of the wealthy out there have seen that as “quaint”) provide higher services and hence higher taxes.

It’s often short-sighted because the OC Commission has six members for a population of over a million where in Orlando you have six commissioners for 300.000 folks (the small towns do even better). God help you if you live in the sprawl that is East Orange and need help with a pothole or a traffic light.

But to each their own. I would never, ever live in unincorporated OC but my parents refused to ever live in Orlando.

There are also ancillary issues based on demographics and political parties but Hank won’t let me talk about those. All of that’s of course changing and is one reason I’m no longer as opposed to consolidation as I used to be. Stay tuned on that.

One huge bonus of living in Orlando (plus some spillover neighborhoods like Pine Hills south of Silver Star Rd.) is that you get to be on OUC which is cheaper/kw hour and more reliable than Duke Energy. That’s a big reason I’ve hesitated to live in WG.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I just want the most egregious things annexed.  The blocks around hourglass lake, the like 3 blocks to the right of Boone. The section of Parramore that's less than 1.3 miles from city hall.

On the bright side, I have friends that live on Hourglass lake and I get to call him a poor and harass him anytime he visits a city park.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I just want the most egregious things annexed.  The blocks around hourglass lake, the like 3 blocks to the right of Boone. The section of Parramore that's less than 1.3 miles from city hall.

On the bright side, I have friends that live on Hourglass lake and I get to call him a poor and harass him anytime he visits a city park.

Hey now.  He's the only one of us with a pool and access to a lake that doesn't live in Belle Isle.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, sunshine said:

Height is good for a city because it normally comes with density.  I do not mind a low rise cities but downtown Orlando low rises are uninspired carbon copy of each other.

That’s because every building is designed by the same architectural firm.  It’s almost embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Any new buildings to add to the list?

On 10/1/2018 at 9:29 AM, idroveazamboni said:

3.2808  3.2808 Meters to Feet
  Building Meters      Year    Meters         Feet    
1 SunTrust Center 134 m 1988 134 440    
2 The Vue at Lake Eola 130 m 2007 130 427    
3 Orange County Courthouse 127 m 1997 127 417    
4 Bank of America Center 123 m 1988 123 404    
5 55 West on the Esplanade 115 m 2008 115 377    
6 Solaire at the Plaza 109 m 2006 109 358    
7 One Eleven 109 m 2008 109 358    
8 Citi Tower 89 m 2017 89 292    
9 Modera Central 85 m 2018 85 279    
10 Citrus Center 85 m 1971 85 279    
11 The Waverly on Lake Eola ≈85 m 2001 85 279    
12 Premiere Trade Plaza Office Tower II 84 m 2006 84 276    
13 Regions Bank Tower ≈81 m 1986 81 266    
14 530 East Central Condominiums ≈78 m 1985 78 256    
15 SkyHouse Orlando 76 m 2013 76 249    
16 CNL Center I 76 m 1999 76 249    
17 Westminster Towers ≈74 m 1975 74 243    
18 One Orlando Centre ≈74 m 1987 74 243    
19 Capital Plaza II 70 m 1999 70 230    
20 The Sanctuary ≈70 m 2005 70 230    
21 Park Lake Towers ≈66 m 1973 66 217    
22 The Fountains at Orlando Lutheran Towers ≈66 m 1979 66 217    
23 Signature Plaza 63 m 1982 63 207    
24 The Paramount on Lake Eola ≈62 m 2008 62 203    
25 The Star ≈62 m 2007 62 203    
26 Wells Fargo Tower ≈62 m 1983 62 203    
27 Gateway Center ≈62 m 1989 62 203    
28 Southern Community Bank Building ≈62 m 1965 62 203

Any new buildings that need to be added to the list? Downtown only 

• 1 year later...

These heights are from this site and Emporis.  

The tallest high-rises in Orlando are:

Dynatech (356)

Church Street Plaza (326?)

1 hour ago, GregoryMCSE said:

These heights are from this site and Emporis.  

The tallest high-rises in Orlando are:

Dynatech (356)

Church Street Plaza (326?)

they list Suntrust as the tallest in CFLA.  But when expanding past downtown, we can't ignore Hyatt Orlando Tower 2, which is probably the second tallest building in CFLA.

• Like 1

Our other attractions have hotels associated with them, so I’m waiting for @jrs2 to build an orange and blue highrise at the entrance to Gatorland with views across the park and all of Beautiful South Orlando! It can include the second location of Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille to attract the high rollers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Our other attractions have hotels associated with them, so I’m waiting for @jrs2 to build an orange and blue highrise at the entrance to Gatorland with views across the park and all of Beautiful South Orlando! It can include the second location of Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille to attract the high rollers!

...it's a partnership with the Seminole Indian Tribe.  Oh the irony in that.

• Haha 2