409 North Magnolia [Under Construction]

sunshine

• sunshine changed the title to 409 North Magnolia [Proposed]

I will say one thing I thought was odd was the 2-tone brick. The red brick is on the north wing, but there is yellow on the Livingston side. I would have expected them to go with red all around or at least on the Livingston side to match the church/christian school next door and Radius across the street. I expect the ARB to try to make them change this and improve it overall.  I expect to see Radius start before this. They still have to go through a couple of rounds of approval and then do Demo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The disconnect with the thing is based on your age and what you remember of it. If you're, say, under 35, at best you remember the '90's cladding (which is almost always gratuitous and looks no better on a building than plastic cladding looked on a Pontiac Grand Am), or at worst, you just remember it as a barely-maintained dump. 

Either way, you think ANYTHING would be an improvement.

OTOH, if you're a geezer like me, you remember when both it and the adjoining Toddle House had nice brick trims, there was a two-story glass window leading to the interior second-story hall (which in itself was an upgrade compared to most motels at the time), the neon signs for Sleepy Bear and the Toddle House were small but kind of cool and the landscaping (which is now non-existent) was well-tended.

Most of all is the scale. Sometime between the time, say, Western Way was built on W.Colonial and the time Parkwood Plaza or the Kmart was built nearby, someone exploded everything. The parking lots got too big and the big boxes took over. What had felt very pleasant to pedestrians and motorists became a T.S. Eliot wasteland.

So, it all comes down to perception. Much like the "demolition by neglect" I've mentioned ad nauseam in regard to the core, the same is true of little 1950's gems like the TraveLodge or Davis Park.

It's really not historic in any sense and no one is going to take the time to take it back to its original state (although I've seen some motels of that era redone in places like Clearwater and the retro vibe is remarkable), so even though I'm a history buff I understand why it makes sense to replace it with a generic mid rise.

Nevertheless, we are losing something, even if it has probably been gone a lot longer than many of us would care to admit.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The disconnect with the thing is based on your age and what you remember of it. If you're, say, under 35, at best you remember the '90's cladding (which is almost always gratuitous and looks no better on a building than plastic cladding looked on a Pontiac Grand Am), or at worst, you just remember it as a barely-maintained dump. 

Either way, you think ANYTHING would be an improvement.

OTOH, if you're a geezer like me, you remember when both it and the adjoining Toddle House had nice brick trims, there was a two-story glass window leading to the interior second-story hall (which in itself was an upgrade compared to most motels at the time), the neon signs for Sleepy Bear and the Toddle House were small but kind of cool and the landscaping (which is now non-existent) was well-tended.

Most of all is the scale. Sometime between the time, say, Western Way was built on W.Colonial and the time Parkwood Plaza or the Kmart was built nearby, someone exploded everything. The parking lots got too big and the big boxes took over. What had felt very pleasant to pedestrians and motorists became a T.S. Eliot wasteland.

So, it all comes down to perception. Much like the "demolition by neglect" I've mentioned ad nauseam in regard to the core, the same is true of little 1950's gems like the TraveLodge or Davis Park.

It's really not historic in any sense and no one is going to take the time to take it back to its original state (although I've seen some motels of that era redone in places like Clearwater and the retro vibe is remarkable), so even though I'm a history buff I understand why it makes sense to replace it with a generic mid rise.

Nevertheless, we are losing something, even if it has probably been gone a lot longer than many of us would care to admit.

Valid point and the Historic Orlando people were indeed sharing photos of it when it was freshly built and not the neglected building it looks like today obviously.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...