409 North Magnolia [Under Construction]

sunshine

8 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

Charlotte has light rail that they're expanding however, which could have been Orlando if we didn't blow it in 1999. My argument wasn't that professionals use transit heavily, but rather that large corporations prefer to locate in cities with good transit, which is something executives usually mention as a deciding factor for locating  somewhere.

After signaling that transit would be a key factor, Amazon chose Nashville *after* the city crushed a transit referendum. 

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Anyone who'd invest tens of millions of dollars into erecting a high rise office building, condo or hotel without including an attached, secure parking garage wouldn't be investing in another one any time soon.

They'd lose their shirts after going bankrupt.

maybe a bad example and maybe bad info, but I am pretty sure that the Sears Tower was built without any internal parking to service even some of its 4M sq ft of office.  By contrast, the JHC had internal parking, I think mainly because it had/has residential as well.  And I don't think Big Stan (1.5+M sq ft office) had internal parking either, but I think Grant Park had a subterrainian (sp) parking structure just south of Randolph.  Maybe bad examples from a different time and different urban complexion to The ORL.

18 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

maybe a bad example and maybe bad info, but I am pretty sure that the Sears Tower was built without any internal parking to service even some of its 4M sq ft of office.  By contrast, the JHC had internal parking, I think mainly because it had/has residential as well.  And I don't think Big Stan (1.5+M sq ft office) had internal parking either, but I think Grant Park had a subterrainian (sp) parking structure just south of Randolph.  Maybe bad examples from a different time and different urban complexion to The ORL.

Well, as far as Sears/Willis Tower is concerned, there's a 900+ space garage directly across the street, so it's kind of a wash, really. Minimal difference. Of course, most of those spaces are probably used by visitors and high level corporate execs who get their parking paid for by whichever company inside the building they work for, as an executive perk. 

Being it's Chicago and they've had an established commuter rail system in place for decades (I know this from years of seeing the opening sequence of the Bob Newhart Show) I imagine the vast majority of workers in that building probably take the train in from the suburbs so that they don't have to fight the miserable traffic and find expensive parking.

I'm guessing the parking sitch-ee-a-shun for those other buildings you mentioned is probably similar.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

The last bit in this Scott Maxwell column (which also notes how poorly Magic management handled the firing of Stan Van Gundy, but that’s what we expect from the DeVos clan) discusses how the developer of the TraveLodge replacement project worked closely with the neighborhood association to get their approval.

One good way to head off the NIMBYs is to make the residents feel a part of the process.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell/os-op-stan-van-gundy-podcast-scott-maxwell-20190410-htmlstory.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 9:37 AM, spenser1058 said:

The last bit in this Scott Maxwell column (which also notes how poorly Magic management handled the firing of Stan Van Gundy, but that’s what we expect from the DeVos clan) discusses how the developer of the TraveLodge replacement project worked closely with the neighborhood association to get their approval.

One good way to head off the NIMBYs is to make the residents feel a part of the process.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell/os-op-stan-van-gundy-podcast-scott-maxwell-20190410-htmlstory.html

From the Sentinel 

it's so funny, though, because Radius' impact (visual and other) along the Livingston corridor will be waaay more than 409's will.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 11:12 AM, JFW657 said:

Well, as far as Sears/Willis Tower is concerned, there's a 900+ space garage directly across the street, so it's kind of a wash, really. Minimal difference. Of course, most of those spaces are probably used by visitors and high level corporate execs who get their parking paid for by whichever company inside the building they work for, as an executive perk. 

Being it's Chicago and they've had an established commuter rail system in place for decades (I know this from years of seeing the opening sequence of the Bob Newhart Show) I imagine the vast majority of workers in that building probably take the train in from the suburbs so that they don't have to fight the miserable traffic and find expensive parking.

I'm guessing the parking sitch-ee-a-shun for those other buildings you mentioned is probably similar.

Thanks for that mention of the Bob Newhart show, just watched the opening and it has some beautiful shots of vintage downtown Chicago and Metra rolling stock! The Marina City towers are so distinctive, wish Orlando had skyscrapers half as unique and aesthetically appealing as they are.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...