409 North Magnolia [Under Construction]

sunshine

On 4/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, dcluley98 said:

Heard that the restaurant in this might be a Starbucks. 

A Starbucks has the brand recognition and loyal following to really liven up that corner around the clock while also encouraging pedestrian traffic to/from Lake Eola. Fingers crossed it's a full blown Starbucks in the ground floor commercial space and not some little coffee stall.

22 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Is the pool a rooftop pool?  There is a glass railing on the Livingston side to the east.

Yep. Rooftop pool and deck on the NE corner of the building by the Lutheran church. You can see it in the aerial photos that ChiDev posts for Radius. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

So.... Do we like the patchwork bit?

I've been asking myself this question for the past 6mo. I still don't have an answer.  I appreciate the visual interest...but I'm not convinced it works. 

Nonetheless, I prefer it to an empty, windowless wall. 

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

I've been asking myself this question for the past 6mo. I still don't have an answer.  I appreciate the visual interest...but I'm not convinced it works. 

Nonetheless, I prefer it to an empty, windowless wall. 

It looks interesting and definitely better than a windowless wall. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChiDev said:

I think it photographs better than it looks in person -- I can't put my finger on it, but I think it has to do with the mortar lines.  There is no function other than to be decorative, and I don't think it does that very well.  They could have gone with a different brick treatment that ties in with the rest of the building better or does something to suggest what is going on structurally.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, smileguy said:

I think it photographs better than it looks in person -- I can't put my finger on it, but I think it has to do with the mortar lines.  There is no function other than to be decorative, and I don't think it does that very well.  They could have gone with a different brick treatment that ties in with the rest of the building better or does something to suggest what is going on structurally.  

Faux windows would have been great.

But this project is such a net win, I definitely don't want to complain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, ChiDev said:

I kinda feel like I despise it...I feel it takes away from the classical feel of the rest of the brick facade.  it's easy to miss from the street though.  But I do agree that it is a HUGE net win compared to the prior two story rent by the week travelodge.