409 North Magnolia [Under Construction]

sunshine

• 5 weeks later...

I keep forgetting how fortunate downtown is that Radius is getting built on that formerly unattractive piece of property. 

Even more so, the fact that Travelodge got razed in favor of 409, 8+ stories with a brick facade to boot.  This really is a special set of projects.  Add into the mix Skyhouse.  Now we're talking about two parcels where vagrants roamed and a 2-story  rent by the week motel that have taken a turn for the better by light years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I keep forgetting how fortunate downtown is that Radius is getting built on that formerly unattractive piece of property. 

Even more so, the fact that Travelodge got razed in favor of 409, 8+ stories with a brick facade to boot.  This really is a special set of projects.  Add into the mix Skyhouse.  Now we're talking about two parcels where vagrants roamed and a 2-story  rent by the week motel that have taken a turn for the better by light years.

While I totally I agree, I must admit that I am disappointed in the minimal impact Radius has/will have on the skyline.

At least as viewed from across Lake Eola.

Too bad there isn't some kind of cool looking feature on the roof that stretches upward a few more stories.

Love 409 though. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

The vagrants like to use the lot immediately south of Skyhouse now.

What’s funny to me is how often we fixate on how this or that building is gonna make our downtown instantly recognizable (I submit 95+% of the population when shown pics of second-tier skylines can’t easily tell them apart).

Otoh, the thing that readily made me know I was home after a long trip was seeing the Merita sign (the “smell•o•vision” if you came by at the right time when the bread was baking was a bonus). And it’s not just Orlando.

The CITGO sign in Boston or the Pepsi-Cola sign along the River in NYC were also much beloved, just to name two more.

One building that always instantly makes  a second-tier skyline recognizable to me with just a glance is the Independent Life building in Jacksonville. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Fargo_Center_(Jacksonville)

https://www.google.com/search?q=maxwell+house+coffee+plant+jacksonville+fl&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS904US904&oq=maxwell+house+coffee+plant+jac&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57.13233j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#lkt=LocalPoiPhotos&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:12367293330275556186,rc_q:Maxwell%20House,ru_q:Maxwell%20House,trex_id:QXn9f

Its site next to the Main St. Bridge along the St Johns but apart from the other towers, along with its funky mid-70’s architecture (the way the base widens out is unique) make it instantly stand out.

Now that it’s Wells Fargo on the top it isn’t as unique as when the sign was for one of Jax’s homegrown companies, but it’s still cool. The huge neon Maxwell House Coffee sign on the river (and accompanying smell•o•vision) adjoining the train bridge (almost always raised) was another standout feature of Jax.

Edited by spenser1058

On 10/14/2020 at 1:11 PM, JFW657 said:

While I totally I agree, I must admit that I am disappointed in the minimal impact Radius has/will have on the skyline.

At least as viewed from across Lake Eola.

Too bad there isn't some kind of cool looking feature on the roof that stretches upward a few more stories.

Love 409 though. :thumbsup:

There was a design that went taller, but ARB nixed it.  Would have meant more in the realm of 445 units, but upgraded skyline and facade treatments.  It was reduced to satisfy the neighbors in historic Lake Eola neighborhood.  

NIMBYs often fail to realize the correlation between exteriors/skylines and demanding the building stay smaller.  They want both, when reality is the opposite.

• Like 2