1100 Porter EDITION Hotel & Condos, 28 stories/355', 272 rooms, 72 condos, 10,000 sq. ft. commercial space, 126 capacity garage)

markhollin

1 hour ago, memphian said:

It gives character and depth, something which is missing. If you’re a pedestrian exploring the city and happen upon this building it’ll probably warrant a second or third look because it’s interesting.

And it's just a block or two from this......

45575018202_04f440842c_c.jpg

• Like 4

I noticed that the developers are from New York, so probably not coincidentally, this building really reminds me of a new midrise in Manhattan in the best kind of way. Between this, the Eleventh House hotel, the W and the Thompson, the Gulch is getting a very cosmopolitan aesthetic with its architecture that I absolutely love. 

For those concerned with the logistics of this one, it also looks like there is some kind of small pipe-structure going between the planters on the facade to presumably water them.  Time will tell if they follow through with that. 

• Like 3

On 11/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, markhollin said:

- Will be 238 ft. tall

- Will now be 250 rooms instead of the 190 originally proposed.  

- 5,000 sq. ft. of meeting space

- 2,500 sq. ft. restaurant

- 625 sq. ft. of retail facing Grundy St.

- Rooftop pool and bar

- Small underground garage accommodating 30 vehicles (due to topography and tight dimensions of the plot, it would not be practical to build higher capacity garage).

- Will seek LEED Gold Certification

- The aggressive cantilever provides more open space along Porter St.

- The 4 designed sides to eliminate any blank walls.

Was a little underwhelmed by this at first but the more information comes out about it the better it gets. More developers should give up on these huge parking garages. I know you get a few bonus floors, but they ruin any chance of designing the building for people, and the parking spaces are less and less useful for hotels every year. Love the cantilever design and the additional ground-level open space. Very efficient street-level design on the small footprint, good attention paid to the facades.

I like the greenery too, but I'll bet somebody a beer that it won't be built that way. If you google 'green skyscraper' you can see hundreds of renders, and 99% of them got cut when somebody looked at the cost. Skyscraper facades are not conducive environments for plant life.

• Thanks 1

I can't decide if I like it or not. It isn't a glass box, so I support that, but I also feel like this is one of those things that looks great on a rendering but in real life would be ugly. Would this be an environmental thing, or is the design of it just for looks or to be different?