1100 Porter EDITION Hotel & Condos, 28 stories/355', 272 rooms, 72 condos, 10,000 sq. ft. commercial space, 126 capacity garage)

markhollin

19 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I can't decide if I like it or not. It isn't a glass box, so I support that, but I also feel like this is one of those things that looks great on a rendering but in real life would be ugly. Would this be an environmental thing, or is the design of it just for looks or to be different?

Nashville just has a really weird climate.  Some of the really nice northern grasses / shrubbery that does well in the winter and summer would burn up down here...but some of the deep south plants don't do as well here in the winter.  We're kinda a "tweener" climate.  Just look at the grass in Titans' stadium.  They can never get it to stay looking nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Nashville just has a really weird climate.  Some of the really nice northern grasses / shrubbery that does well in the winter and summer would burn up down here...but some of the deep south plants don't do as well here in the winter.  We're kinda a "tweener" climate.  Just look at the grass in Titans' stadium.  They can never get it to stay looking nice.

Spot on, TH.  When I moved here from Mobile, AL, I could not believe the difficulty of getting grass to grow in my yard!  When trying to select a blueberry variety for my balcony, I had the same problem.  Now there's a name for it - we're a "tweener" climate!

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Or the Osage Orange tree with the little green "apples" and 3 inch long barbed wire thorns. 

51msLcmUqrL._SX425_.jpg

I used to have one of those in my back yard growing up in Hendersonville.  We called them "horse apples."  One actually fell on my dad's head as he was clearing some brush under the tree.  He had to go to the ER and get eight stitches.  Needless to say we had that thing chopped down after that.  Lol... so yeah, those things can do some damage!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I used to have one of those in my back yard growing up in Hendersonville.  We called them "horse apples."  One actually fell on my dad's head as he was clearing some brush under the tree.  He had to go to the ER and get eight stitches.  Needless to say we had that thing chopped down after that.  Lol... so yeah, those things can do some damage!

I had some land in Williamson County and my boyfriend and I decided we were going to clear some of the gnarled trees on the land.  So...he got out with a chainsaw and we tried to cut down 7-8 of these trees.  First of all...the wood is SUPER dense and hard to cut.  The thorns are so long and sharp that we both ended up needing stitches after getting "swiped" by a swinging branch.  We now call them "Devil" Trees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

I had some land in Williamson County and my boyfriend and I decided we were going to clear some of the gnarled trees on the land.  So...he got out with a chainsaw and we tried to cut down 7-8 of these trees.  First of all...the wood is SUPER dense and hard to cut.  The thorns are so long and sharp that we both ended up needing stitches after getting "swiped" by a swinging branch.  We now call them "Devil" Trees.

We have three of them in our yard (had 4 but one was ginormous and leaning precariously over the house, so we had it taken down).   Yes, you will go through several chains trying to cut the wood.      Squirrels love the fruits.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

We have three of them in our yard (had 4 but one was ginormous and leaning precariously over the house, so we had it taken down).   Yes, you will go through several chains trying to cut the wood.      Squirrels love the fruits.   

But...the upside...the firewood from that tree will burn LONG and HOT. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, nativetenn said:

As a child, whenever my extended family got together in the fall, my cousins and I would gather those things up from around the property and run out to the highway and line them up on the road so cars could run them over.

I spent many a beautiful fall weekend doing this. I had so much fun I was almost sad to have to drive back to college

Any building will get noticed for either being good, bad, ugly or interesting. I just hate bad and , or ugly.

Again there have been ideas about the type of vegitation and if it does not have water then it is not going to grow. The zone we are in makes some grasses not do well because we are either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. 

Where will the water come from to water what ever goes there. Will it be reuse water or AC condinser water, both of which would work.

I am sure there are a lot of alternatives, but plant can be expensive to maintain. We will see if theysurvive the number crunching.

This is different from a green roof which I am in favor of. 

Guys dont get me wrong, I am in favor of green but look at GulchCrossings and the greenery that was supposed to grow up the side at the RR tracks and that falls way short. A failure in my book. They should have just done a mural. With this building we get more of the same that will probably fail as well because of our climate. Besides I hate plants that are vines  too.

Sorry ESa, I like your work, but plants just will probably not work as with the Gulch Crossing building being a case in point.

6 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Guys dont get me wrong, I am in favor of green but look at GulchCrossings and the greenery that was supposed to grow up the side at the RR tracks and that falls way short. A failure in my book. They should have just done a mural. With this building we get more of the same that will probably fail as well because of our climate. Besides I hate plants that are vines  too.

Sorry ESa, I like your work, but plants just will probably not work as with the Gulch Crossing building being a case in point.

I've been watching those vines since they were planted.  The vines near Velocity get a little more shade and are more vigorous than those that get more sun.  This is another example that plants need the right amount of light and water.

However, the vines in the sun ARE growing and will eventually make their way to the top of the wall, but they won't look right until they do.

• Like 3