Western Boulevard Kmart

orulz

This morning's bankruptcy announcement by Sears Corp has the Kmart on Western Boulevard on the list for closing by the end of the year. I think this will be a great site for a large-scale mixed use development given its proximity to the Beltline, NCSU, and BRT. 

12 stories would even be contextual here given Westgrove Tower next door.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. The only surviving Kmart in the entire Triangle will be Six Forks & Strickland in north Raleigh. One wonders how long it will last. But it's just one part of a large shopping center, so its redevelopment would take a different path from the store on Western.

23 hours ago, orulz said:

This morning's bankruptcy announcement by Sears Corp has the Kmart on Western Boulevard on the list for closing by the end of the year. I think this will be a great site for a large-scale mixed use development given its proximity to the Beltline, NCSU, and BRT. 

12 stories would even be contextual here given Westgrove Tower next door.

Seems like a likely outcome to me. Will be fun to see how high end apartments do next to the drug dens of Westgrove...

The Western Blvd property is owned by Jack A Sneeden Corp, a family-owned business in Wilmington. The 14.52 acres, which excludes the Wells Fargo footprint, were purchased in 1970. Apparently the store opened the following year. The Sneeden family also developed a Kmart in Wilmington which has been vacant for a while, the subject of local controversy. The namesake was a longtime Trustee of Meredith College.

Archived