Sports Thread

Tennessine

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I can agree with that. I remember as a kid in the 90s how much orange you would see on gameday around town.  I am a bit surprised about how passionate the fanbase is considering how bad they have been. I highly doubt many other larger schools could pull off the numbers they do with such a poor record. I know actual attendance in the seats wasn't this high but the fact they averaged 95K last year, or 93% on their worst year ever is impressive. But speaking as someone that hated them in the 90s, they reallllllyyyyy need to get over '98, and they really need to quit thinking firing everybody is the answer. Not much the coaching can do when you have talent this bad. They made Charlotte's defensive line look like a powerhouse.

Their coaching has been horrendous, I thought them giving Butch Jones 5 years was extremely generous (especially considering they should have hired Butch Davis instead to begin with) and Dooley never should have been an SEC coach. I’m pretty sure Dooley went a whole offseason without getting a single offensive lineman to commit one year. 

Yeah I grew up hating UT, watching Peyton Manning and T Martin whip us all over the field. I can’t say much about clinging to ‘98, though, it was a great year for them and us Bama fans clung to Bear and ‘92 for long enough to where we can’t talk crap about other fanbases living in the past. 

• Like 1

Living in the Tri-State area here, the thing I find easy to ridicule is all the Bama Bandwagon fans. Yes, they've had great success, but so many "appendages" (many who have never even been to Tuscaloosa) put their flags and stickers on their houses, cars, clothes, etc. and act like they're "winners".  Even the longtime fans think they're absurd. Everyone loves a winner. And Saban's success has produced a lot of fans for future generations, but IMHO it just cheapens the brand. It's like anyone can go into a Cracker Barrel and come out a Tide fan. Sour grapes? Not hardly... as I went to Vandy. As one longtime Alabama graduate said to me about 20 years ago through his thick eyeglasses. "You mean you didn't pick your college on how well they do in football?" he said incredulously. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I knew that Bill Belichick was born in Nashville, but the CBS commentators of the game today noted several times that he has a home in Franklin. He lives there quite a bit during the off-season & that he makes a habit of going to the B'way Honky Tonks (Specifically Tootsie's) and he loves the lifestyle in Middle Tennessee. 

Vandy's Coach Mason needs to buy the whole Defense a steak dinner at Ruth's Chris for their win. IDK why Shurmur directed 2 pass plays (play action) with 1:30 left. Ole Miss had all their Timeouts left, but Vandy's passes went nowhere... and didn't use up hardly any time off the clock. So they punt with a whole minute and half... and all their T/Os. But 'Dore's D held strong. Shurmur had some spectacular passes... one in OT to give Vandy the win! Great game! But terrible officiating. The "compromise" controversial call in OT was unfortunate. But Vandy managed not to fade in the fourth for a change. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Thanks 1

^ If they beat Lousiville they would play either Kansas or Marquette. Would be great to have that early season challenge against a team like Kansas.

The Lady Vols soccer team plays #1 Stanford in the Quarterfinals on Friday. I don't know much about our soccer history, but I am guessing they have never made it this far.  

• Like 1

That was a tough game to stomach because I think we should have won it but the team just went flat. It is hard to win with the opposing team having 34 FT attempts to our 17. Great to see us being competitive against one of the hottest teams right now.

Football team didn't even show up Saturday. I heard some of the remarks from players and it is clear that some Butch recruits had no desire to play a bowl game. I expect a purge in the offseason of the players that aren't buying in.

• Thanks 1

That was embarrassing. I am angered by the product on the field these last two weeks. As a student, it pisses me off to see these spoiled athletes get everything they possibly want only for it to result in complete disdain for playing the sport.

That basket that was called back due to goaltending was an awful call. But, we had plenty of chances to win that game too. Can't make too many excuses. I hate being the type to say "oh the refs won it for them," but that was frustrating. Oh well. Again, we missed too many baskets and were lucky Kansas kept turning the ball over.