Sports Thread

Tennessine

On 11/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, MLBrumby said:

I knew that Bill Belichick was born in Nashville, but the CBS commentators of the game today noted several times that he has a home in Franklin. He lives there quite a bit during the off-season & that he makes a habit of going to the B'way Honky Tonks (Specifically Tootsie's) and he loves the lifestyle in Middle Tennessee. 

I think he has place down near Leiper's Fork, like a lot of other famous people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I guess we are a basketball school now??? haha  It was a good weekend for both Lady Vols and the Men's team. Lady Vols beat #12 Texas to stay undefeated.

It was another good stretch for TN sports with the Titans winning as well. What a game for Henry!!

That run was unreal. It was a privilege to watch that live.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Titans are sitting at 8-6 now. Solid win against a recently overperforming Giants squad today. 

To get in the playoffs, I think the Titans have to win out, and Indianapolis has to lose out. We also need Baltimore to lose.

They play Indy last game, so that’s in their control. And yes hopefully Baltimore will fall once.

• Like 2

I think Baltimore still has to play the Rams, so there is def a chance of them losing one more. I really have little hope of the Titans beating the Colts though. They are that one team the Titans just never show up against.  I still believe the Titans will be one of the last teams not in. I feel like this happens ever year. Either the first team to miss, or the last in and they lose early on and get some mid-late draft pick.   The Titans are just king at winning games they shouldn't, but losing the ones that could help push them into the top 1/4 of the league. (See Bills game)

Also, how about Memphis basketball coach being a complete baby and a liar?    Soooo glad we beat them, but man did he show what little class he has. That game was very frustrating to watch. I think there were 30 fouls in the first half. TONS of flopping by Memphis as well.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I think Baltimore still has to play the Rams, so there is def a chance of them losing one more. I really have little hope of the Titans beating the Colts though. They are that one team the Titans just never show up against.  I still believe the Titans will be one of the last teams not in. I feel like this happens ever year. Either the first team to miss, or the last in and they lose early on and get some mid-late draft pick.   The Titans are just king at winning games they shouldn't, but losing the ones that could help push them into the top 1/4 of the league. (See Bills game)

If the Titans win out, they will only need either the Ravens or Steelers to lose. If Steelers lose and Ravens win, Ravens are division champs and Steelers miss playoffs because of a game that ended in a tie.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PHofKS said:

If the Titans win out, they will only need either the Ravens or Steelers to lose. If Steelers lose and Ravens win, Ravens are division champs and Steelers miss playoffs because of a game that ended in a tie.

I def think we have to depend more on Steelers than the Ravens. The Ravens have won 4 out of their last 5, and really could have beat KC. Steelers should never beat the Saints, but the Saints have been a weird team the last few weeks.

Related to the Saints, I was just looking at their schedule. They play the Panthers twice in 3 weeks. I wonder if that happens often?

On 12/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, bigeasy said:

Also, how about Memphis basketball coach being a complete baby and a liar?    Soooo glad we beat them, but man did he show what little class he has. That game was very frustrating to watch. I think there were 30 fouls in the first half. TONS of flopping by Memphis as well.

You mean ol' Petty Hardaway?

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing last night. I wonder if people will stay till New Years since the game is on a Friday. Would be huge if we had people in town for 4-5 days!

*Edit

17 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

The Music City Bowl should be a good game this year.  Both fan bases are only a 3-7 hours drive away from Nashville.  Any thoughts on this bowl's impact on Nashville this year?

Read an article earlier today that said the 2017 bowl had an impact of $19.2M and they are expecting more this year.  (Music City Bowl today, Preds Saturday, Titans Sunday, NYE Monday)

Edited by bigeasy

22 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Saw lots of Purdue fans walking around downtown this morning.  Not so many Auburn fans.

I didn't see the game.  How full was Nissan Stadium?

I am not sure of the attendance but did see it was a $19.2MM economic impact. Can only imagine what economic impact a super bowl, college football playoff, or ncaa men’s final four would bring... I know, need a roof. 

On 12/29/2018 at 9:00 AM, nativetenn said:

Looks like I'll be using AdBlocker now

Screenshot_20181229-090004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a155fa048c41a931af7d6741995d02c9.jpg

Looks like you've been trolling too many Bama fans.

Full disclosure: I have several family members who are Auburn grads and one who is now getting a Master's at Bama.

Separate topic:  During the Titans game Sunday night, NBC showed a large group of fans marching across the Pedestrian Bridge together before the game complete with chants, lights, cameras.  It looked cool.  Is this done before every home game?

Edited by Mr_Bond

3 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Looks like you've been trolling too many Bama fans.

Full disclosure: I have several family members who are Auburn grads and one who is now getting a Master's at Bama.

Separate topic:  During the Titans game Sunday night, NBC showed a large group of fans marching across the Pedestrian Bridge together before the game complete with chants, lights, cameras.  It looked cool.  Is this done before every home game?

Not sure how I could troll Bammers at this point unless it's academically related.

"Hey, we're at #98 and you're at #120! Morons!" 

On 12/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, nashvylle said:

I am not sure of the attendance but did see it was a $19.2MM economic impact. Can only imagine what economic impact a super bowl, college football playoff, or ncaa men’s final four would bring... I know, need a roof. 

Went to Atlanta over the weekend to the Peach Bowl at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  Holy crap, it's amazing.  My son asked if the Titans would ever get that.  Sorry, son.  Food was super cheap too.  They lowered the prices twice over the last year.  Everything was very cheap and free soda refills.  Anyways, beautiful dome.  

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 3:01 PM, TheRaglander said:

Went to Atlanta over the weekend to the Peach Bowl at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  Holy crap, it's amazing.  My son asked if the Titans would ever get that.  Sorry, son.  Food was super cheap too.  They lowered the prices twice over the last year.  Everything was very cheap and free soda refills.  Anyways, beautiful dome.  

I haven't had the opportunity to visit that stadium. It's a real beauty, even on television.

Of course, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome will be obsolete by the time my Vols contend for the SEC Championship in Atlanta. It'll cycle back and forth between Georgia and Florida. 

But Go Vols. :yahoo:

• Haha 2

Attention VOL fans: I opened up a thread on the Knoxville/Chattanooga board to discuss sports. I think it will help bring more activity to that board without detracting from Nashville sports in this thread. Feel free to drop by and join. 

The best part: No VolNation-level stupidity on UrbanPlanet. Great place for us to talk about football recruiting, basketball, track, baseball, Lady Vols, etc.

• Like 1