Sports Thread

Tennessine

I don't watch hockey either, so my knowledge isn't that great, but they haven't been playing good hockey the 2nd half of the season. This is a weird team in that they easily could lose first round, but they also could make it to the finals. The talent is there, just depends on which team shows up and if Rinne doesn't have his post season crash. From what I hear Dallas is a really hot team right now and has one of, if not the best goalie in the league. Also, it looks like the President's Cup curse continues. Tampa is down 0-3.

Great series win for UT in baseball!!! I think that win  validates that Vitello was a good hire. That was just the 2nd time in program history for us to have two consecutive shutouts in SEC play.

• Like 1

I didn't watch either but from what I read and heard from friends I don't think you can blame that game on him. It sounds like one goal was his fault but the rest should be put on the rest of the team. They have put Pekka in some really tough situations and I would argue we won games 2 & 3 because of him.

Yeah, but hard to think anything will come of it seeing that ND, Bama, UNC and a few other big name schools were listed. UNC has done SO much over the past that the NCAA has overlooked.

Sport updates: (UT)

• The men's tennis lost in the SEC Finals to #6 Miss State. They beat #3 Florida in the semifinals to get there
  • I went to the UK/UT baseball series last weekend and got to see us sweep them in their new baseball stadium. It was our first away SEC series sweep in like 10 years
  • Baseball is now ranked #18 and has posted 9 shutouts which is 2 games more than any other team in the country. They play at #6 Arkansas this weekend.
  • #9 Softball had their 99th straight victory over an in-state opponent

Also, I will be in Knoxville this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be nice as I plan to ride my bike around campus to take pictures.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Huge series win against #15 ranked Ole Miss this weekend for UT baseball. This was the most conference wins the team has had since 2005 at 14 and will be the first SEC tournament appearance since 2016 where they will be a 9 seed.
  • UT Softball beat UNC to advance to the Super Regionals against #5 UF.

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Vandy for their second College World Series championship!  Coach Corbin has built a program that consistently recruits a top five class and is a perennial contender.  The Michigan team they beat in the Series is coached by a Corbin-disciple who helped build the Vandy machine, giving further credence to the value of Coach Corbin's process.

Nashville has a new way to draw top talent - Vanderbilt baseball.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mariota is such a joke.  Throwing in the middle of the field with zero timeouts and less than one minute to spare in regulation. Sigh

3 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

I'm shocked that the poophole football stolen franchise that hasn't drafted anyone good since '95 lost a game to the team whose starting QB left the industry.

LOL Go Preds!

Seems like somebody hasn't had much luck playing Fortnite today. Cheer up, sport, there's a Sunny D in the fridge for you.

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

That was a tough loss for TN. I know it was just Game 2, but they really needed that division win.

Is there a good football team in the state of TN?

Titans are a pretty decent team- they have the ammunition- but they always choke when they need a W.

Side note, I effing hate Taylor Lewan and dread his return to the team in Week 5. He is a POS.

The best college team in Tennessee is Memphis. Vanderbilt is bad and Tennessee is terrible. Vandy @ UT in November will be an epic sissy fight.

I'm counting on my Braves now not to blow it in October. They have the best record in the MLB since late May. They've already clinched a WC spot.

What's the sitrep on the Preds? Will they be good this year? I don't follow hockey but I hope they can actually win something for Nashville. The Titans sure as heck won't.

I only listened on Sirius XM but I couldn't understand the play calling. Was the OL so bad that Mariota didn't have much choice, or did he really essentially have just the Henry run up the middle for 2 yards at a time? Saw some high(low)lights on ESPN this morning, and he didn't get any help from his receivers. Couple of clutch passes were too high, but a great receiver would have snagged most of them. From what I heard Mariota was really rattled during the last drive. He's mediocre at best. Granted Titans have way too much money invested in him, but is Tannehill any better?  I say no difference until the OL gets their $#!+ together. And I couldn't agree more about Lewan.