Go Gators!

dcluley98

The Gators’ women’s soccer coach Becky Burleigh has been selected as the Orlando Pride’s interim coach.

Hopefully, she’ll stay with the Pride longer than the last Gator coach to jump to a pro team in town Billy Donovan.

That of course led Billy to an incredibly short stint with the Magic.

Speaking of the Magic, the notoriously homophobic DeVos (along with longtime apparatchik Pat Williams) family apparently did not use its influence to derail this pick, despite Coach Burleigh being GLBTQIA+ (the Wilf family is known for being somewhat more progressive). Hopefully, that will continue should she be a candidate for the role on a more permanent basis.

Congrats to Coach Burleigh, who’s had a good run in Hogtown.

From The Sentinel 

Orlando Pride select celebrated Gators coach Becky Burleigh for interim manager

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-pride-soccer/os-sp-orlando-pride-florida-gators-coach-becky-burleigh-interim-manager-20210726-zm7zkmlsijacfipm5pmpzalxdy-story.html

Marc Daniels makes an interesting point - the last time the Gators won an SEC championship was 2008. Do you think Oklahoma joining the conference makes it more likely? Is being a perennial also-ran the definition of “It Just Means More”?

I used to go to Vandy games regularly when I lived in Nashville and my friends with season tickets had no expectations the ‘Dores would win any conference games. They supposedly contented themselves with seeing the stars of the OTHER teams. It was hard for me to fathom at the time (not that Florida was much better back then - it was the early ‘80’s and The Head Ball Coach wouldn’t lead us to the promised land for a decade and even that was during a down cycle for ‘Bama after Bear retired).

I made the switch to UCF because of Urban Liar and wondering where UF’s ethics went after Spurrier left. I have no idea how this will shake out for the Knights so I can’t say we’re any better off but I really can’t see how it’s a plus for the Gators. There will certainly be more money, but does that do anything for the fans? 

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/2021-07-26-marc-daniels-someone-still-finishes-16th-in-a-16-team-league/

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, spenser1058 said:

Marc Daniels makes an interesting point - the last time the Gators won an SEC championship was 2008. Do you think Oklahoma joining the conference makes it more likely? Is being a perennial also-ran the definition of “It Just Means More”?

I used to go to Vandy games regularly when I lived in Nashville and my friends with season tickets had no expectations the ‘Dores would win any conference games. They supposedly contented themselves with seeing the stars of the OTHER teams. It was hard for me to fathom at the time (not that Florida was much better back then - it was the early ‘80’s and The Head Ball Coach wouldn’t lead us to the promised land for a decade and even that was during a down cycle for ‘Bama after Bear retired).

I made the switch to UCF because of Urban Liar and wondering where UF’s ethics went after Spurrier left. I have no idea how this will shake out for the Knights so I can’t say we’re any better off but I really can’t see how it’s a plus for the Gators. There will certainly be more money, but does that do anything for the fans? 

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/2021-07-26-marc-daniels-someone-still-finishes-16th-in-a-16-team-league/

Texas and OU to the SEC brings in good money to the SEC.  Texas and Texas A&M are two of the richest teams in college sports (oil money I reckon).  OU is a good power.

How does it benefit UF?  It doesn't schedule-wise ala what Saint Bobby used to preach as to why FSU opted to join the struggling ACC in 1992 over the SEC...because it was an easier path to an NCAA title game.  For FSU, Miami was the thorn in in their side- when Miami was good.  In the '90's, UF was the thorn in their side ('91, '94, '95, '96, '97) when UF managed to beat them when they were good.  But, FSU was the thorn in UF's side as well ('90, '92, '93, '94, '96, '98, '99, '00) and so on.

The problem UF had in the '80's was that although Bama took a step back, Pat Dye and Auburn got really good.  UGA was always really good under Dooley in the '70's and '80's.  UF was playing catch up.  But UF got good in the early-mid eighties but still got punked a few times when it shouldn't have.  One of the problems was perennial opponent Miami getting better.  Same with perennial FSU.  Miami was at another level though, but it didn't show up on the receipts after the UF-UM games, to the tune of SI writing in 1982 that UF might cancel the series b/c of money.  UF had just beaten UM and was ranked in the Top 5.  The good opponent wasn't the problem; money was.

What I've found is that when UF is good, they can beat anybody; they sometimes do but sometimes don't.  OU is good.  2020 was an odd year that began with Navy getting thrashed because they were doing no-contact drills b/c of covid and it made them "weak."  Then UF played Ole Miss and it was a shootout- the rest of the season would be similar.  Why?  No contact drills and the defense suffered.  Even Bama's defense suffered similarly.

In 2006, UF beat Bama in The Swamp off the heels of the jump pass; same with LSU.  All three of those teams were powerful that year.  Auburn punked UF again, like they did in 2001 after losing twice in 2000, and once each in in '99, '98, '97, '96, '95.  UF also had to block a kick to beat SoCar that year.  They beat UT on the road 21-20.  

UF has always had a tough schedule, but I don't see them having to play Bama and OU they same year in the regular season (with the notion that OU would be the next best team in the SEC).  Texas I don't see being Vince Young good ever again. 

The Late '80's Gator teams were pathetic on offense.  They had Emmitt at RB and Hall & Co. were content to just run him and not risk passing.  Why? Because they didn't know how to coach a QB or a WR.  In the mid '80's, after Wayne Pease graduated, they had no meaningful QB recruits and the team was led by a walk on, Kerwin Bell, for four seasons.  Kyle Morris was an ok QB, I think he was recruited after 1986 and redshirted in '87?  But aside from Stacey Simmons in '88, who ended up hurt and missing a few games, no other WR was worth a crap--or so we thought until SOS came in and made Ernie Mills and Kirkpatrick and Barber part of the UF version of the '89 FSU Fab Four.  It was the coach or lack thereof that made or broke the receiving corps and the QB.

So, an answer to your question would be...if UF has  good coaching, then they should be ok.  Mullen is a sound coach.  We lost to A&M in 2020 b/c in a tight game we fumbled back to them and we had zero defense.  The LSU loss- I blame Mullen b/c he did not have the team ready.  I blame the players who opted out of the OU game for that loss; but I also blame him for not preparing the scrubs to play better despite OU being that good.  The SECCG was a shootout.

I personally think that after Mullen mouthed off after the A&M loss, that UF slapped him on the back of his hand, which they did, but I also think he was looking around for an NFL job, which left the team a little unfocused.  The two week suspension threw UF's schedule in limbo where they should've canceled the LSU game, at that point, but, money dictated otherwise.  

The SEC- it's all about the money- it can help you and it can kill you at the same time.  The SECCG for two decades was a game that could springboard a team into The Playoff, a BCS championship game, a Bowl Alliance championship game, or, into the championship game based on who was No.1, 2, or 3 and what their bowl affiliation was (Rose, Orange, Fiesta, etc.).  That game hurt Bama in '94 and almost hurt them in '92.  It helped UF in '96.  But rescheduled games have usually hurt UF; 2001 vs UT and 2020 vs LSU.

UF will still keep UGA, FSU, and LSU and UT as annual opponents- unless UT goes into another pod if the pod system gets in place.  UF already lost Auburn back in 2002...I lamented that...we lost them yet played the Cocks, a team I could care less about, and Vandy.  I hope we don't lose UT or LSU.  

• Like 1

personally I think it was a tragedy that Colorado, Nebraska, A&M and MIzzou left the Big 12 in 2012.  All the history with CU in 1990, Nebraska in '91, '93, '94, '95, '97, '01, OU in '00, '03, '04, '08, and recent Playoff appearances...and Texas in '05; all of these great seasons of these teams and now most all of them won't play each other anymore?  Now Texas and OU...

The SEC started the CG trend and the big money game worked as a springboard that the pollsters respected.  The Big 12 followed suit in '96 to UF's benefit and Nebraska's detriment.  I know UT was difficult to work with and I believe the Big 12 leadership was to blame for this.  It caused CU, UN, A&M, and UM to leave in 2012.  And now, things aren't good enough for UT... STILL...maybe because of the crap show they were responsible for creating in the first place with the Longhorn Network drama and all, so they're looking to leave the Big 12, and OU is like...um, we ain't staying in this crap show...we're following the big money.

So, Sanky sees this and figures that he better step in and keep both schools from going to the Pac 10.  He probably had to explain this to A&M behind closed doors ala big picture and they reluctantly agreed in the end.

Man I hope Sanky is strong enough to keep Texas from attempting to run the show in the SEC.  I don't think the AD's at UF, A&M, LSU, etc., would ever allow that to happen.  I think OU is merely along for the ride.  I think they see themselves as a 1980's Miami that is looking to profit from all this.  But this is about Texas and their mula and keeping them from joining the Pac 10.

OMG, either Sanky had to make some large concessions to get UT over hear vs Pac 10, or, Texas wanted to come on their own b/c of the money vs the Pac 10.  I hope it was the latter and not the former.  We shall see.  I think it's the latter b/c UF is all about the money and I believe they would have created a block to UT's admission if they saw it as a negative.  I wonder if scholastically or medically and/or research-wise UF and perhaps LSU, Vandy, and Mizzou saw a major benefit to collaborating with Texas outside of football.  More than likely, I would lean towards yes.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, spenser1058 said:

I don't know how to "tag" people on UP yet, but I posted a continuation about Texas and OU...

• Thanks 1

Great ESPN story about college football mascots and traditions (which is sort of interesting given how the sports networks have been busy blowing up those traditions behind the scenes, but I digress).

Toward the end you’ll see two relatively new traditions we’re proud of - Gainesville paying homage to local native Tom Petty between the third and fourth quarters and how UCF came to be the “Bounce House”. Charge On!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31914960/college-football-roundtable-our-favorite-traditions-mascots-rivalries-more

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Gators update...

Dunno...just curious to see if Jones can play 60 minutes as QB.  Also, equally curious to see how improved the D-Line will be as well as the offensive backfield with the addition of Clemson transfer and Lingard, Miami transfer.  If Jones can pass effectively then the offense will be very dangerous b/c he can run, even when defenses know he's gonna run.  for him to be effective passing the WR's will need to run good routes and get open.

the coaching stability should benefit the team, being that Grantham will have been there for the 4th season in a row.  pass rush.  none last year, so, if they mulligan 2020 then maybe they can pick up where 2019 left off.  

The Head Ball Coach now has a restaurant with six decades of stuff (I wonder how many visors?)

Spurrier uses memorabilia to create one-of-a-kind restaurant: the Gridiron Grille

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-spurrier-uses-memorabilia-to-create-one-of-a-kind-restaurant-20210815-7dilhr77bngj7dwmkmt3juence-story.html

From The Sentinel 

44 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Head Ball Coach now has a restaurant with six decades of stuff (I wonder how many visors?)

Spurrier uses memorabilia to create one-of-a-kind restaurant: the Gridiron Grille

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-spurrier-uses-memorabilia-to-create-one-of-a-kind-restaurant-20210815-7dilhr77bngj7dwmkmt3juence-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Yeah, I think this in that new development off Archer Rd.

• Like 1

Does UF beat UCA, Bama at home, or LSU on the road.

LSU- they don't scare me; UF and LSU home and away games are a wash for both teams.  it's a 50/50 game depending on how good Jones is.

Bama- UF should lose.  But, if the crowd is a factor and Mullen coaches a good game and the offense is able to move the ball well, UF can upset the Tide.  But, Bama's D is very good and Saban is a great coach.  Mullen with have to in essence pull and Ed Orgeron on him with no Trask.

UGA- punks.  If Jones can throw the ball, then UF can run the ball. Mullen is a better coach than Kirby and I give UF the edge if they can do that.  Can they?  I don't know yet.

Everyone else: FSU, UK, and UT are home games and UF wins.  SoCar and Mizzou on the road.  UF should win those...should...  USF and FAU are wins.  and whichever other scrub they play.  

UF may get punked by Mizzou; they usually do.

But if UF can run with it's stellar backs and Jones and AR, then it can pass and that means the offense will be powerful.

The D has shown marked improvements in scrimmages.

Mullen really needs to get the offense rolling on Day One.  He really needs to beat Bama and reassert The Gators in the upper echelon of the SEC.  To be fair, people may forget this but of the last 6 seasons, UF has won the SECE 3 of those years or half the time (UGA the other 3). 

It's just like back in 1991, when UF won the SEC, they finished 1st that year, but they also finished 1st in 1990, 1985, and 1984.  So over an 8 year spread, by 1991, UF finished 1st in the SEC 4 out of 8 years or half the time.  It's just that the suckiness of the late'80's made everyone think the '84-'85 teams were so long ago before that time when they weren't.

59 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Mullen really needs to get the offense rolling on Day One.  He really needs to beat Bama and reassert The Gators in the upper echelon of the SEC.  To be fair, people may forget this but of the last 6 seasons, UF has won the SECE 3 of those years or half the time (UGA the other 3). 

It's just like back in 1991, when UF won the SEC, they finished 1st that year, but they also finished 1st in 1990, 1985, and 1984.  So over an 8 year spread, by 1991, UF finished 1st in the SEC 4 out of 8 years or half the time.  It's just that the suckiness of the late'80's made everyone think the '84-'85 teams were so long ago before that time when they weren't.

Ummmm, usually “finishing first” means winning the conference and the Gators didn’t win the conference until 1991 (they were still in Charley Pell’s dawg house in 1990 and that one didn’t count).

It’s great about all those SEC East victories, but it’s like running half the race. They haven’t won the SEC since 2008. Adding OU (not to mention Texas) ain’t gonna help with that).

I thought it was interesting Marc Daniels placed UF in tier 3 of his SEC pecking order (‘Bama in tier 1 and LSU/UGA in tier 2; UF and Auburn in tier 3) May take a while to get that next conference win even though Coach Spurrier says that’s the most important goal for a coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football

From Wiki

On 8/20/2021 at 3:52 PM, spenser1058 said:

Ummmm, usually “finishing first” means winning the conference and the Gators didn’t win the conference until 1991 (they were still in Charley Pell’s dawg house in 1990 and that one didn’t count).

It’s great about all those SEC East victories, but it’s like running half the race. They haven’t won the SEC since 2008. Adding OU (not to mention Texas) ain’t gonna help with that).

I thought it was interesting Marc Daniels placed UF in tier 3 of his SEC pecking order (‘Bama in tier 1 and LSU/UGA in tier 2; UF and Auburn in tier 3) May take a while to get that next conference win even though Coach Spurrier says that’s the most important goal for a coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football

From Wiki

technically, UF was out of Pell's dog house in 1986. IF Criser had just appealed the decision, the 1984 Gators could've gone to a bowl.  But, becuase UF complied with the NCAA, the third year was lifted.  The '86 Gators had a remarkable turnaround after starting 1-4; they beat Auburn and UGA, and just needed to beat UK to get a bowl berth.  They lost to UK, and lost the bowl invite, but beat FSU in  Tally in the rain at night; Kerwin to Nattiel.

It's like what the commentators said about Bama...Bama has not won the SECW every single year; They won it in 2000, but LSU won it in 2019; Bama won it in 2018, but Auburn won it in 2017.  Bama won it in 2016 and 2015 when UF won the East.  

OU and Texas.  Keyshawn doesn't like it.  Tough.  Those two schools wanted out and if Sanky didn't accept their wanting to move they probably would've gone to the B1G.  Now the other Big 3  or whatever conferences want to form an alliance.   But scheduling contracts may take up to a decade to resolve before any real scheduling moves can be made w/o too much fallout.

UF still finished 6-1 in conference play in 1990, which is better than 5-1-1 (UT).  They finished 5-0-1 in '84 (LSU was 4-1-1) and 5-1 in '85 (UT was also 5-1 but UF beat them head to head).  So no matter how you slice it, UF ranked No.1 those three years.  

Auburn on the other hand went undefeated in 1993 but was on probation and could not win the SECW to get a berth in the SECCG.  They still went 11-0 but can't say they played in the SECCG.  Just like the 2017 UCF team can't say they played in The Playoff; but they were still undefeated in their schedule that did not include even one Playoff team that year.  "We beat the team that beat Alabama"!

Marc Daniels, a UCF guy, has it temporarily right because UF lost most of it's primary offensive playmakers in 2020.  And, the top 4 WR's opted out of the game vs OU, as did the top 4 defensive players.  Another tidbit...UGA knocked Pitts out of the game last year early and UF still kicked their butts.  And, Pitts opted out of the LSU game, the "shoe" game.   And UF was in a shootout vs Bama.  What does this mean?

This means that if UF gets it's offense rolling early, good things are gonna happen.

‘Even back in the 1960s — long before the Florida Gators had ever accomplished anything of note — the late, great sportswriter Dan Jenkins once said of Gator fans, “They have the tradition of Wake Forest and the arrogance of Notre Dame.”’ Mike Bianchi noted that today (let’s remember Bianchi is a UF grad and still something of a fanboi for them, but he at least remembers the ‘70’s when even beating Kentucky was by no means a sure thing).

A Spurrier story: his first year as HBC at Florida, he was miffed at hazing going on with freshmen on the team. He said that was over and a senior player said, “but that’s a tradition here!” Spurrier noted “it’s also a tradition to get on a bus to Jacksonville every year and get our butts beat, and we’re gonna end that one, too.”

Somehow, too many UF fans think the Gators prior to 1990 were an SEC juggernaut and they just weren’t.

It’s always good to remember when some of the faithful keep rewriting history that the Gators spent most of their history being irrelevant. UCF is doing just fine after only 40 years compared to the program history of the folks in Hogtown (St. Bobby is the Sunshine State coach who turned a program around in record time - it only took FSU 30 years; it was 50+ years before Howard S. changed UM’s fortunes).

Meanwhile, the Temple Terrace Cows seem to have had their best moments at the beginning and have been spiraling ever since- that’s what happens when you try to, ummmm, “Reach For the Stars” with no foundation beneath you.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

‘Even back in the 1960s — long before the Florida Gators had ever accomplished anything of note — the late, great sportswriter Dan Jenkins once said of Gator fans, “They have the tradition of Wake Forest and the arrogance of Notre Dame.”’

It’s always good to remember when some of the faithful keep rewriting history that the Gators spent most of their history being irrelevant. UCF is doing just fine after only 40 years compared to the program history of the folks in Hogtown (St. Bobby is the Sunshine State coach who turned a program around in record time - it only took FSU 30 years; it was 50+ years before Howard S. changed UM’s fortunes).

Meanwhile, the Temple Terrace Cows seem to have had their best moments at the beginning and have been spiraling ever since- that’s what happens when you try to, ummmm, “Reach For the Stars” with no foundation beneath you.

I think you're the one trying to rewrite history in an attempt to show that UCF has done more in 40 years than UF did in 40 years.

First of all, when UF was spending money on a stadium it was when the state was mostly a swamp with no interstate system and with very little population and during war time.  Enough said.  Secondly, football as a sport hadn't even been crystalized yet ala uniforms, marketing, fan bases, and school commitments to the sport; it was in a constant state of flux.

What UCF has done is arrived to the party late with the benefit of the sport being what it is ala TV markets, conference affiliations, rivalries, major powers, and everything else that makes college football what it is presently.  Why did they even create a football program? Because they had the benefit of seeing this and said they wanted a piece of it.  Well, do that in 1906 and come talk to me.  Do that during WWII and come talk to me.

UF was the flagship school in the state, UF was the flagship team in the state pumping out All Americans since 1928 , bowl teams since the 1950's and NFL starters since even before then, with boosters and donors as renound as Steimbrenner in modern times and former Red Sox owners in past times.  UF was a charter member of the SEC as well since the 1930's when the SEC first formed, and it took an evolution of conferences, like the Southern, for it to get to the SEC to begin with.

So when you talk about the "first 40 years" you are comparing apples to oranges.

UCF...  FAU just started a new football program with an on campus stadium too.  Lane got them an 11-1 record.  FIU started a new program coached by Butch and beat UM a year or two ago too.  How many others?  Well, the only one that really counts is the one that you got such wood for, USF, who's mere existence illustrates how ridiculous UCF's efforts were between 1979 and 1996 at having a "real" team.  USF may suck at present, but their template is and was the proper one for creating an FBS team and getting it into a P5 conference.  UCF's legacy vs the P5 was a losing record vs the P5 since joining the FBS.

UF doesn't have to apologize for anything, especially not to the bread crumb gabbing likes of all schools, a UCF.   Remember, UF is the one that cuts the check and UCF is the one groveling to cash it.

We had a famous US General as our HC in the 1920's.  You guys had a drunk guy that lied on his resume to ND as your HC.  You then had a guy that got lucky in punking people that rightfully expected UCF to suck, who can't even beat Illinois as a 4th year coach at Nebraska.  And then you got a guy who rode off of his coattails until he just didn't give a crap in 2020.  At least when Foley hired Zook, he was an NFL coordinator and a former coach and recruiter for UF, and as much as the Zooker sucked, UF finished each of his three years ranked in the Top 25 .  Has UCF ever done that BTW?  No, which means Zook was better than UCF.  And the only reason UF hired Muschamp was b/c he was Mack's CIW and UF didn't want to be outdone by FSU and their CIW Jimbo- and he was a top recruiter.  MacElwain was an OC for Saban as the reason they went after him.  Gus was a fired coach.  And O'Leary didn't get hired away from GaTech either.

I mean how many UF quarterbacks or players have gone on to become heard coaches- and I'm talking about before Steve Spurrier was a QB.  You do the research.

UCF ain't got nothin on UF; not even in an apples to oranges comparison of the programs' first forty.  Gimme a break.  Right now, anybody reading this throughout the US is just shaking their heads dumbfounded at this. 

UF does not have common roots with UCF and if I was UF, I would cancel the pittance 2  and 1 offered to them and wait for the state legislature to force me to schedule UCF.  I don't know what Stricklin was thinking.

But it's ok.  The AP will never vote UCF high enough to get a Playoff berth- ever, not after all of the BS parading and mumbo jumbo of early 2018.  Maybe hiring Gus is fitting; his inability to prepare Auburn in that bowl game which started this whole mess has evolved to his firing and then hiring at the team that embarrassed him and placed the cross hairs on him from the athletic department.  Actually, not true, he had already choked in the NC game vs FSU in 2013.  You see, the reality is that in a NYD bowl, if you're Auburn and you lose to UCF, that's embarrassing b/c UCF is a lesser school and a lesser program.  And it's still a commuter school.

You see, the 2017  "title" is an abomination.  In that, UCF's mismanagement of their football program over the years kept them out of the P5 and tougher schedules.  Then of all the polls involved in the Playoff, the one poll that only cares about overall record regardless of how weak the opponent is, the Colley Matrix, voted UCF No. 1 in a year where even the actual national champ was not undefeated.  I broke that analysis down in 2018 on the UCF thread pretty detailed.  So UCF got lucky- but what lucky,  At least when UF while on probation ranked No.1 in 1984 in the NYT Poll, it was based on strength of schedule, in that, a 12-1 BYU team was outranked by a 9-1-1 UF team which showed you just how powerful a squad that was; the Colley poll merely rewards a team for playing a powder puff schedule.

Like I've said time and again, if UCF cries fowl on poll bias, it is the result of their own past small mindedness which hemmed them into a sub-category even to that of USF which wasn't around for even that long.

UCF is like TNG's Pakleds, you know those weird simpleton aliens that somehow got hold of warp technology, kidnap LaForge to fix their ship and "make it go," in an effort to be "smart...now" and "strong..."  And now the Pakleds think they are on equal footing with the Federation who actually developed warp technology. 

It's just funny.  Keep taking jabs at UF.  Death throws is all that is.

Cheers!