Go Gators!

dcluley98

13 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

UF should have this. Not that I'd underestimate UK, but if UF plays well they have so much more talent. The secondary is not going to be tested like week 1, but if they are they better play better. Which Franks shows up...?

UCF should get a hard fought win.

FSU, I'm not so sure.

UCF is very motivated.

UF is somewhat motivated

FSU I don't think is very motivated.

UM seems motivated.

it is just so weird how that plays out in college football.  Mullen is right, though, the loud home crowd does give the team (usually the defense) a few bars of adrenaline.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

UCF is very motivated.

UF is somewhat motivated

FSU I don't think is very motivated.

UM seems motivated.

it is just so weird how that plays out in college football.  Mullen is right, though, the loud home crowd does give the team (usually the defense) a few bars of adrenaline.

All those teams badly need this game. FSUs matchup is likely the hardest and if they lose the season is done. UM should be a cakewalk. UF and UCF are the games to watch to predict the rest of the season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

All those teams badly need this game. FSUs matchup is likely the hardest and if they lose the season is done. UM should be a cakewalk. UF and UCF are the games to watch to predict the rest of the season.

UF shouldn't tank...against UK.  I just don't feel confident in Trask's decision-making as a backup.  Throw 1:  TD for 8 yards.  Throw 2:  almost an INT and not even close to hitting a WR.  Franks... he's decent.  But we need a power running attack to the corners.  I thought our WR's did a good job blocking vs Miami, so that shouldn't be a problem.

They did an expose on Trask during the Martin game.  He was a backup in HS.  Great.

Anyway, FSU is in trouble b/c from what I hear, UVA is pretty good.

And fans are down on Miami and they shouldn't be.  First, UF doesn't suck.  And...UNC doesn't suck either regardless of last season's and the prior few years' performances.  I told people from the get go that Mack Brown would transform them in Year 1 (Part 2).  So far, he's 2-0.

Miami needs to dump Baxa as FG kicker.  Fans are right, though, in two games, he has potentially cost them both games.  But, missed FG's and extra points is part of the game- the question is how did the rest of the team perform and the other phases of the game get executed.  I think FG's are part of Special Teams.  In UM vs UF, UF won that battle ala missed FG's to fake punts etc.   In Miami vs UNC, UNC's QB, who apparently was heavily sought after even from Miami (my understanding was that UNC snatched him from FSU) is playing like an all-ACC QB as a true freshman.  There you have it.  That's how you shift the tide in your favor.  Why did Bama fire Shula and hire Saban?  Because UF beat Bama in 2006, and b/c UF got Tebow when Bama heavily recruited him, and b/c UF won the BCS in 2006.  They saw the writing on the wall and wanted to avoid the '90's all over again- and they did, with Saban.  But their time is limited. 

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! jrs2 hit 2000 likes. Charge On!

wow.  (now imaginr the Miss America guy parodied in I'm Gonna Get You Sucka singing in the background the "Pimp of the Year" song as Fly Guy gets crowned Pimp of the Year after reading the poetic recital of "My beotch betta have my money."

"...cho-sen by a pa-nel of his peers...he's the pimp of the year..."

• Haha 1

Ok.

so.

Franks is gone for the year I reckon.  Trask came in and moved the offense.

Zuniga was out after the first drive.  Toney was out.  CJ was out.  Some other players stepped up, including Trask.  Trask has been coached up for two off-seasons and last year and was effective in the 4th Q.  Does he have what it takes to play out the rest of the season with packages for Jones?  Maybe.  We'll see.

UK missed a potentially game winning FG at the end.  however, UF missed one earlier in the game, so they offset each other.

They ejected the UK defender for spearing into Trask's helmet.  Controversial?  Dunno.  He's the QB and you led with your helmet on his helmet.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I need to see Trask and Jones in a full game with no Franks to see how they perform...then I'll feel better about the situation...hopefully...

Well, the Gators are atop the SEC East at the moment. Their schedule is not easy, but is workable. Auburn, LSU and Georgia each present different and difficult obstacles. It will be up to coaching as much as talent.

I'm not yet on the LSU wagon (people are just excited they now understand the concept of an offense) and they do not face anyone between now and Gator showdown to see if they're real.

Auburn has A&M and MSU coming up which will tell you a lot about them.

For Gators to get to promised land they need GA to beat ND, and then UF needs to beat them and run the table.

Not asking for a lot, right.

• Like 1

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190915/florida-history-is-uf-really-floridas-oldest-state-university

From the News-Journal

For decades, UF liked to say it was Florida’s oldest college. That is about as bogus as some of Alabama’s National Championship claims in football.

If you count when classes started, Rollins in Winter Park in 1885 may well get the nod.

My favorite part of UF’s history is that, at one point, Hogtown’s finances were so poor they couldn’t afford to support the school and the Gators spent several years in Brevard County. Was UF the original FTU? Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:48 PM, AmIReal said:

Well, the Gators are atop the SEC East at the moment. Their schedule is not easy, but is workable. Auburn, LSU and Georgia each present different and difficult obstacles. It will be up to coaching as much as talent.

I'm not yet on the LSU wagon (people are just excited they now understand the concept of an offense) and they do not face anyone between now and Gator showdown to see if they're real.

Auburn has A&M and MSU coming up which will tell you a lot about them.

For Gators to get to promised land they need GA to beat ND, and then UF needs to beat them and run the table.

Not asking for a lot, right.

So, Zuniga and Greenard are 50/50 for the UT game.  Those two are the backbone of the pass rush.  I don't think either played much vs UK, which would explain a lot.  I'm not sure when Greenard got hurt or slowed; but Zuniga got it in the 1st Q vs UK.

So...we've got Tennessee on Saturday.  It's a noon game which sucks.  Maybe we suck and that's why.  Anyway, being how we've won a couple of our games thus far, I don't think UF will get any respect if they beat UT.  It will just be a reason not to drop us in the polls.  I think UT can very well beat us, but I think the game will be closer than expected.

So, UF beat Tennessee 34-3.  Interesting score, because UF held it’s opponent to 3 pts, while UCF, who also scored 34 pts today, only held its opponent to 35 pts.  That means they lost.

So I guess they aren’t the best team in Florida or the second best team in the SEC East after all per Joey Galloway.

They should be out of the Top 25 after this loss.

As for the Gators, Auburn looks really good.  We got em in two weeks.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

so, Auburn looks pretty good.  I don't know how good A&M is, but the O&B have got a big problem on their hand in two weeks.  Beaunicks looks like a decent QB.  And Swartz is fast.  And their LB's look mean. 

As you know, running the SEC gamut is difficult... if its not Auburn its LSU, GA or AL. Bottom line get through Towson (sorry, had to take that dig)  and then you deal with Auburn, LSU, SC and GA... seriously, I'm not a real SEC fan boy, but that is a tough row to hoe.

Yeah... it is a pretty tough stretch coming up.

last year it was Miss St then LSU (road, home).  This year it’s Auburn then LSU (home, road)

Auburn at home is good.  

LSU on the road is not an issue b/c the Gators aren’t ever really affected by that game as a road game.  The UF-LSU series has rarely been decided on who was at home versus on the road.  We lost in 2015 b/c Grier was suspended and Harris was ill equipped to run that offense.  We won in 2016.  We lost in 2017, because, we were 4-8.  We were 4-7 in 2013.  We were 7-6 in 2011 and LSU played Bama for the BCS Title.  We won in 2009.  We lost in 2007 (LSU won the BCS Title).  We lost in 2005.  We won in 2003 (LSU won the BCS Title).  Under Spurrier, LSU beat us in Baton Rouge in 1997.  We won in 2001, 1999, 1995, 1993, 1991.  We won in 1989.

So, we’ve won in 2016, 2009, 2003, and 2001 in Baton Rouge since 2000.  We lost in 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2007, 2005.  We are 4-6 in Baton Rouge since 2000.  Not bad; 40%.

16 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

At Mizzou will could also be a loss. We historically drop those SEC West road games against decent teams. 

Mizzou is in the East, as you are aware, but they are waaay out west geographically.  The SEC East should swap them for Auburn which is on the GA border.

Yeah, Mizzou will be tough.  Not really sure how 2019 will play out.