Square at South End - Mixed Use Project @ West and Tryon

CLTProductions

15 hours ago, nicholas said:

Is there any feasibility to move those houses?

I was wondering the same thing. And, if not these, then just the general idea of moving homes that will be demoed because of new development. Move them to a vacant lot, refurbish, and solve the affordable housing problem one house at a time. Of course I know it wouldn't solve the whole problem, but if 10 families/year were given a home wouldn't that be a win?

• Like 1

Allen Brooks, a well known residential architect, has been working in Dilworth and other neighborhoods for many years. He is known as sensitive to historic neighborhoods and design. His home for the past 25 years or so is 2021 Euclid Avenue and that house was moved to the current location from Caldwell street where the current YMCA parking area is today. I am going by my memory on this but it was quite an event in the neighborhood at the time.

The Essex Richards law firm moved a building from somewhere in the inner area of the city to 716 East Boulevard. This was in the early 80's (maybe). The building burned utterly 20 or so years ago and is now a modern larger office building.

312 and 316 Rensselaer were moved downhill for the 300 East Park condo development.  I imagine there are others, I am just recalling ones I know and saw.

The point is that there have been homes moved within Dilworth in the past when lot prices and available buildings (and their location) allowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jednc said:

I was wondering the same thing. And, if not these, then just the general idea of moving homes that will be demoed because of new development. Move them to a vacant lot, refurbish, and solve the affordable housing problem one house at a time. Of course I know it wouldn't solve the whole problem, but if 10 families/year were given a home wouldn't that be a win?

Unfortunately moving a house won’t produce cheap housing. Moving (and placing on a new foundation) will require that the building be updated to modern building code. So new electrical, insulation, windows (I believe) are required. Doing all this is a gut renovation so any cost savings from relocating the box get chewed up quickly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to be negative but doesn’t the Holiday Inn seem just as underwhelming as the initial drawings. I pass it all the time and it just doesn’t catch my eye nor does it look like any thought was put into the design nor does it look like a hotel. Idk 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, j-man said:

Not trying to be negative but doesn’t the Holiday Inn seem just as underwhelming as the initial drawings. I pass it all the time and it just doesn’t catch my eye nor does it look like a like any thought was put into the design nor does it look like a hotel. Idk 

Haha I have friends who now live in Silicon Valley that were probably the last renters to live in the house that was razed for the Holiday Inn.  They were disappointed to find out they couldn't come back and to stay in their old spot in a boutique hotel but rather a Holiday Inn

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35°12'53.7"N+80°51'33.8"W/@35.2148979,-80.8593524,3a,75y,149.96h,95.4t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOHa4AVdy7FiMdPf5vAbN2w!2e0!5s20150401T000000!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d35.214909!4d-80.8593998

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Haha I have friends who now live in Silicon Valley that were probably the last renters to live in the house that was razed for the Holiday Inn.  They were disappointed to find out they couldn't come back and to stay in their old spot in a boutique hotel but rather a Holiday Inn

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35°12'53.7"N+80°51'33.8"W/@35.2148979,-80.8593524,3a,75y,149.96h,95.4t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOHa4AVdy7FiMdPf5vAbN2w!2e0!5s20150401T000000!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d35.214909!4d-80.8593998

Lmao that says a lot! SouthEnd isn’t really that type of area for luxury boutique hotels but this is just....idk. Another urban spot taken up by “By the Airport Hotel.”

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

construction fencing up first time I have seen it but I was out of town.  Today. and bonus shot of the almost ready to open Holiday Inn Express. 

IMG_3011.JPG

This started months before Legacy Union, yet this 5 floor building isn't open, and the 33 floor one is.

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This started months before Legacy Union, yet this 5 floor building isn't open, and the 33 floor one is.

I used to walk by this site every single day and watched its progress.  There were never more than about five workers there at a time.  Nobody seemed to be in a rush to get this thing up and running.

I wish they had made this thing a little bit more attractive from the Tryon side.  Its really bland from that angle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Demolition has started and is almost complete on Sauceman's and the 1920s/1930s Wilmore homes fronting West Blvd.  No pictures as I was driving  and have not yet completed the @KJHburg class on point and click development photography.

first step buy a camera I prefer Cannon and my friends know I can talk, walk and shoot a photo at the same time LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wow - With this site and the Portman (Hawkins) Site about to begin Construction it just blows my mind that there’s so much interest in Southend for Office this cycle.  Anyone know if this Building is going speculatively?

I think they have enough interest, I don't think anything is signed officially yet though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from the historical corner of S Tryon and West Blvd (where the very first Bojangles opened and is still there) this 10 story office building will rise within eye sight of the crane of 23 story Lowes tech tower.

Plus a park will be built thank goodness on the block as well. 

IMG_8651.JPG

IMG_8652.JPG

This is maybe the most important project in South End besides Lowe's and Portman. Does such a great job of pushing density west.

• Like 4