Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/31/portman-holdings-planning-mixed-use-project-at.html?ana=TWT_staffES

I think this needs its own topic as well. The Southend Submarket is heating up tremendously, and believe me, its not done. I've heard rumors of another 2 hotels, and another 2 office buildings.  Will be interesting to see how they address it being on a tertiary street.

Sounds like this building will be similar size to Dimensional Place. I'd be guessing they go up to 180-200' to try to steal some views from Ashton. #SouthendRising

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Was wondering when this would break.  Definitely needs its own topic.  From what I hear this will get moving quickly.  I think Spectrum & Beacon may have announced their intentions for their sites knowing this was coming.

Haha, don't be afraid to speak up! I just found out about this yesterday haha.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Also....it would be great if all the new developments pitched in and built an elevated with ramps rail crossing, instead of the $2+mm thing in planning.  If they could get rid of signalling, it might not be THAT much more to do it right.

I second that!

43 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Any clue if Portman already has an anchor tenant?

Also....it would be great if all the new developments pitched in and built an elevated with ramps rail crossing, instead of the $2+mm thing in planning.  If they could get rid of signalling, it might not be THAT much more to do it right.

No tenant yet. Close

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kermit said:

Sounds like a good project, but like the DFA building, it sucks they gotta take down a pretty decent building to do it. This is doubly true when their is a derelect, condemend, warehouse directly across the street.

I don't know... that building feels kind of non-descript to me.  Don't get me wrong, I like the work that Shook does, I just was a little underwhelmed when I saw the building.  The interior is awesome... but most of it is set back from the street., not very Urban feeling from Hawkins.  The DFA was truly a loss of urban fabric that will be difficult to replace.

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I don't know... that building feels kind of non-descript to me.  Don't get me wrong, I like the work that Shook does, I just was a little underwhelmed when I saw the building.  The interior is awesome... but most of it is set back from the street., not very Urban feeling from Hawkins.  The DFA was truly a loss of urban fabric that will be difficult to replace.

Yea, fair point about the building's situation with respect to the street. I really just know this building by its 'front porch' facing onto the railtrail and the RT facing markets that it hosts.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was chatting with an engineer that is a tenant in the shook building and they were speculating that the building would be 25-30 stories... this seemed rather high to me so I got to thinking... what is the floor plate of the previous portman tower?  20,000 (based on a google map measure).  He is a spec office guy so he probably goes for efficiency.  if 20k is his magic number for floor plate efficiency, then 260000/20000 would put this at 13 floors of office + 5? floors of parking + 1? floor of ground level retail?  Could this be pushing 20 stories?

10 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

So I was chatting with an engineer that is a tenant in the shook building and they were speculating that the building would be 25-30 stories... this seemed rather high to me so I got to thinking... what is the floor plate of the previous portman tower?  20,000 (based on a google map measure).  He is a spec office guy so he probably goes for efficiency.  if 20k is his magic number for floor plate efficiency, then 260000/20000 would put this at 13 floors of office + 5? floors of parking + 1? floor of ground level retail?  Could this be pushing 20 stories?

It may have to be because the adjacent apartments would be blocking a lot of views of Uptown

• 1 month later...