Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

I am fascinated by the volume of concrete used in so many buildings. Boggles my mind.
I wonder what the factors are for choosing steel like Ally, all concrete like the LU buildings and FNB or a hybrid like Lowe’s which changes to steel after the parking levels, or in othe buildings a concrete core with a steel frame around it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t steel cheaper than concrete? I’d love to know the answer here too

• Like 1

Yes but when you have podium parking in a building it needs to be concrete on those levels like Lowes Tech tower.  

True that. What about LU 1&2 and the JW Marriott? They are all concrete and not on top of parking podiums. Steel you have to fire proof and still pour concrete for the floors. The All concrete is labor intensive with the form work and rebar cages and the pours. So both methods are probably not far apart in cost. Makes me think there are several other factors In choosing one over the other.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rossario said:

I am super impressed by the renderings of this building.  Most elegant building under construction in South End IMO.  Not only the interesting geometry of the building, and the abundance of outdoor terraces, but the facade design seems unique to Charlotte.  Like a contemporary twist on modernism.  Really like the copper color, too.

Having said that, I can't tell from looking at the renderings where the facade sample that KJHburg  posted would go.  I'm a bit nervous and wondering if there has been a V.E.'d re-design of the detailing in the facade.  (Thanks for posting that shot, though, KJHburg.)

BTW, hey everyone. :)  I'm a UNCC alum who's lived in St. Louis since 2007, and about to move to DC with wife in the Spring.  I've been perusing this website since about 2003.  Wonder if I'm the longest lurker in UP history.

Welcome to the land of the living!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the marketing brochure did this building always have those notches with balconies on various floors or is that a recent add?

https://www.foundrycommercial.com/core/fileparse.php/2530/urlt/2151-Hawkins-Package_20200408_E.pdf

it is a great looking building and outside space and balconies is even more important in this pandemic world now. 

absolutely stunning. this is my new favorite project in town. A+

• Like 1

Yes, I think any change such as this is at least partly for air movement, ventilation, escape to fresh air, exterior movement without leaving building. Square at West and S Tryon advertises they will install the most modern ventilation cleaning and antimicrobial features. (my scientific/engineering terms may be wrong but the point is they are appealing to tenants to feel safer.)

• Like 3