Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Saw these on Instagram and instantly thought of this project. 

F069A811-489C-45B6-A9D2-242D7DFC6705.jpeg

36AB6C7C-36A9-408D-82F4-FDBF93A0D9C4.jpeg

Is that the one they built in Atlanta?

8 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I think the proportions on that building are slightly better.  I like the office portion of The Line, but the overall proportions of the building are whacky at best. I think it would look better if the office tower was taller.  Right now it looks like a stumpy office thrown on top of a big deck.  Just my opinion though.

I should add, I am more accepting of parking than most on this forum.  It adds height to the skyline, and the ground level can still be activated.  Plus, we just don't have sufficient transit to get rid of parking. You can't expect these companies will hire only 20 year olds that live in apartments along the Blue Line.  My problem with The Line is just the proportions don't seem natural to me. 

I can actually see this building from my window and from there it looks great. Ground level not as much

I can actually see this building from my window and from there it looks great. Ground level not as much

Well maybe it will get better once it has retail open and people actually interacting with the building. It only looks desolate and without life…because it is right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Wonderfully stunning pictorial contexts, as usual @Mgelbach.

But at the risk of taking heat from fellow posters, why do I see pics of the Line and recoil at the extraordinary prominence of the podium garage?

I just see this design as such a huge missed opportunity for a stand-out streetscape experience in this part of South End.  I didn't even know what this term was prior to the latest draft of the UDO, but these large-scale South End buildings would serve the surrounding community well by incorporating more facade modulation at ground-level.  More facade modulation could better break up these big bulk buildings at least at ground level where you're trying to create as inviting a human-scale experience as possible.  

Is it done?  I have such a hard time determining if things are still under construction or if that's what it is.  It doesn't look done, but who knows?  Seriously - who does know?  It almost has the air of an abandoned project.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

tada.thumb.JPG.7c16336c297b301c7b3c486b257a1325.JPG

Boom. Easy partnership here between these two legends.

I’m leaving town then lol

for me, that stack paired with the Ellis would just be too much.  I’m moving to waxhaw.

Edited by RANYC
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

A real garage connoisseur :) 

image.thumb.png.6545cbb1c201c75cd8cb21565f3176bf.png

Less bulk tho.  Am I the Goldilocks of urbanism?  I want walkability, frankly pedestrian-prioritization, but I want finely grained, intimate-scaled structures which I find more appealing and inviting as a walker.  A stroll alongside bulk-wall after bulk-wall is disappointing.  South End might be headed there.  Several more years of lot consolidation and big bulk structures, and it’ll be our podium district.

can be inventive though with perhaps podium music fests and maybe even a network of podium speakeasies, akin to what may be coming to mint & summit.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

Well hopefully for the apartments there won’t be many parking spaces or if any at all since it is sharing the deck with the line. It may want to take some from The Joinery. I think the Line has enough for both the office and that apartment building and any more would likely be excessive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Given the size of the podium and that it is completely wrapped with apartments and the is an elevator core down the middle I would think very little parking if any in the tower

I think they already said they would use the existing parking garage next door in the Line .  

• Like 1