ricky_davis_fan_21

Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

Recommended Posts


10 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Was wondering when this would break.  Definitely needs its own topic.  From what I hear this will get moving quickly.  I think Spectrum & Beacon may have announced their intentions for their sites knowing this was coming.

Haha, don't be afraid to speak up! I just found out about this yesterday haha.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Also....it would be great if all the new developments pitched in and built an elevated with ramps rail crossing, instead of the $2+mm thing in planning.  If they could get rid of signalling, it might not be THAT much more to do it right.

I second that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Any clue if Portman already has an anchor tenant?

Also....it would be great if all the new developments pitched in and built an elevated with ramps rail crossing, instead of the $2+mm thing in planning.  If they could get rid of signalling, it might not be THAT much more to do it right.

No tenant yet. Close

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good project, but like the DFA building, it sucks they gotta take down a pretty decent building to do it. This is doubly true when their is a derelect, condemend, warehouse directly across the street.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kermit said:

Sounds like a good project, but like the DFA building, it sucks they gotta take down a pretty decent building to do it. This is doubly true when their is a derelect, condemend, warehouse directly across the street.

I don't know... that building feels kind of non-descript to me.  Don't get me wrong, I like the work that Shook does, I just was a little underwhelmed when I saw the building.  The interior is awesome... but most of it is set back from the street., not very Urban feeling from Hawkins.  The DFA was truly a loss of urban fabric that will be difficult to replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I don't know... that building feels kind of non-descript to me.  Don't get me wrong, I like the work that Shook does, I just was a little underwhelmed when I saw the building.  The interior is awesome... but most of it is set back from the street., not very Urban feeling from Hawkins.  The DFA was truly a loss of urban fabric that will be difficult to replace.

Yea, fair point about the building's situation with respect to the street. I really just know this building by its 'front porch' facing onto the railtrail and the RT facing markets that it hosts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the rail trial side too.... I actually had to add the "from Hawkins" comment while typing to temper my criticism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was chatting with an engineer that is a tenant in the shook building and they were speculating that the building would be 25-30 stories... this seemed rather high to me so I got to thinking... what is the floor plate of the previous portman tower?  20,000 (based on a google map measure).  He is a spec office guy so he probably goes for efficiency.  if 20k is his magic number for floor plate efficiency, then 260000/20000 would put this at 13 floors of office + 5? floors of parking + 1? floor of ground level retail?  Could this be pushing 20 stories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

So I was chatting with an engineer that is a tenant in the shook building and they were speculating that the building would be 25-30 stories... this seemed rather high to me so I got to thinking... what is the floor plate of the previous portman tower?  20,000 (based on a google map measure).  He is a spec office guy so he probably goes for efficiency.  if 20k is his magic number for floor plate efficiency, then 260000/20000 would put this at 13 floors of office + 5? floors of parking + 1? floor of ground level retail?  Could this be pushing 20 stories?

It may have to be because the adjacent apartments would be blocking a lot of views of Uptown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is a podium style building it could be 20 stories but remember that is about the same height of a 15 story building or so due to the smaller ceiling heights of parking levels. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.